Lib-dems win in Richmond

A pro-remain candidate beat a Brexit MP in a pro-remain constituency. Probably kills any chance of an early election with such a massive swing and with Labour floating in irrelevance, maybe it hints at the lib dems being the party of remain voters.

101 Comments

Bargain....One big idiot for the price of one normal one.

so no surprise at all whatsoever,
just a non story for you to use for your ulterior twisted agenda.
I'll come back in 12 hours and see if I'm wrong.

Original Poster

shadey12

so no surprise at all whatsoever, just a non story for you to use for … so no surprise at all whatsoever, just a non story for you to use for your ulterior twisted agenda.I'll come back in 12 hours and see if I'm wrong.

What is my ulterior twisted agenda?

Let's see if you can answer a simple question. X)

shadey12

so no surprise at all whatsoever, just a non story for you to use for … so no surprise at all whatsoever, just a non story for you to use for your ulterior twisted agenda.I'll come back in 12 hours and see if I'm wrong.

No need for that I always find HEAWD threads funny and entertaining..................

Oh wait a second, they are meant to be funny aren`t they?

Original Poster

Treboeth

No need for that I always find HEAWD threads funny and … No need for that I always find HEAWD threads funny and entertaining..................Oh wait a second, they are meant to be funny aren`t they?

This is a biggish story in the U.K. It could have implications beyond simply this constituency regarding an election.

But to answer your question, no this wasn't a humourous post but if you choose to laugh at it then I'll take pleasure in having lightened your day.

Another chance for HEAWD to belittle others.
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Dec 2016

<<< one of the 52% and proud

out was the vote, who ever the MPs are

shadey12

I am going down to the pub now to have my fish and chips for the next 12 hours.

Original Poster

psmith1958

I'm sure you are and there is 48% of the electorate who probably feel the same. Unfortunately it appears as if the referendum itself wasn't the end of the war but simply another battle along the way.

splender

Another chance to HEAWD to belittle others.

'For' surely?

I think we will be well out of the EU by the time the Liberals ever get near government again.

It was an interesting result, in some ways because the Tory/Independent candidate who was a Leave supporter actually managed to retain 45% of the vote against Leave support of only about 30% in the constituency at the Referendum. I would guess that, had he stood as a Conservative candidate, there would have been a good chance that he would have got enough votes to win the seat.

So, what this shows, I think, is that there is a hard core of voters who will vote for the party they traditionally support regardless of whether their candidate is a Remain or Leave supporter. That will give the psephologists something to think about. Another nail in the Brexiters' coffins?

Think folks are missing the point . Not a huge swing as Zac Goldsmith was standing as an Independent (after resigning from the Tories over the Heathrow decision ) . The Tories, Greens and UKIP didn't field candidates so not a massive surprise really .

Original Poster

RonChew

It was an interesting result, in some ways because the Tory/Independent … It was an interesting result, in some ways because the Tory/Independent candidate who was a Leave supporter actually managed to retain 45% of the vote against Leave support of only about 30% in the constituency at the Referendum. I would guess that, had he stood as a Conservative candidate, there would have been a good chance that he would have got enough votes to win the seat. So, what this shows, I think, is that there is a hard core of voters who will vote for the party they traditionally support regardless of whether their candidate is a Remain or Leave supporter. That will give the psephologists something to think about. Another nail in the Brexiters' coffins?

Richmond Park has been a lib dem seat in recent history, with Goldsmith coming in during the 2010 election so this seems to be a return to that period. Maybe people are forgiving the lib dems at last.

I think there's a lot of people who are socially liberal and economically conservative, who care about the environment and feel ostracised by the Tories and Labour. That's where the lib dems can grow, especially in prosperous, metropolitan areas.
Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 2nd Dec 2016

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Richmond Park has been a lib dem seat in recent history, with Goldsmith … Richmond Park has been a lib dem seat in recent history, with Goldsmith coming in during the 2010 election so this seems to be a return to that period. Maybe people are forgiving the lib dems at last.I think there's a lot of people who are socially liberal and economically conservative, who care about the environment and feel ostracised by the Tories and Labour. That's where the lib dems can grow, especially in prosperous, metropolitan areas.

You may be right. A lot of voters do tend to have very short memories and will, eventually, forget how Clegg kept a minority Conservative party in power for 5 years. The very best that the LibDems could hope for would be to hold the balance of power again which is, at least, preferable to UKIP holding it.

Still, there is very unlikely to be a general election before 2020 by which time we should have left the EU, if we are going to, and the country may be in full financial meltdown. And all the brexiters will still be blaming the politicians...

rogparki

Think folks are missing the point . Not a huge swing as Zac Goldsmith was … Think folks are missing the point . Not a huge swing as Zac Goldsmith was standing as an Independent (after resigning from the Tories over the Heathrow decision ) . The Tories, Greens and UKIP didn't field candidates so not a massive surprise really .

Of course, the candidate who stood as a Conservative in the London Mayoral election is no longer a Tory. (_;)

If he isn't, why didn't the Tories field their own candidate in a winnable seat. I can understand why UKIP wouldn't want to put anyone up as they would have been lucky to get 1000 votes which would have been something of a humiliation. And the Greens, who don't always put up candidates in every constituency, probably thought that Sarah Olney was sufficiently green not to want to split the green vote.

It still has to be something of a surprise that there was such a huge swing away from the Tories in about 18 months. Exactly what it demonstrates is unclear, though.

Original Poster

RonChew

You may be right. A lot of voters do tend to have very short memories and … You may be right. A lot of voters do tend to have very short memories and will, eventually, forget how Clegg kept a minority Conservative party in power for 5 years. The very best that the LibDems could hope for would be to hold the balance of power again which is, at least, preferable to UKIP holding it.Still, there is very unlikely to be a general election before 2020 by which time we should have left the EU, if we are going to, and the country may be in full financial meltdown. And all the brexiters will still be blaming the politicians...

I think it's clear to all that Brexit won't mean what people who voted for it thought it would mean which means you'll have anger and frustration from a lot of people.

That's where I see a rise of the far right like UKIP but it also means a potential gap someone like the lib dems to represent people who can't vote for the Tories and don't view labour as a serious choice but wouldn't vote for UKIP because of the far right associations.

RonChew

That will give the psephologists something to think about.

I must admit "psephologists" gave me something to think about.

I am annoyed and shocked, don't think the vote should stand, the Lib Dems only won by 9%, surely this means she doesn't have a mandate to take up the position especially when there was 47% of the electorate who didn't bother to vote. Anyone know how we can start a protest and a court case to end the terrible way democracy works.

eslick

I am annoyed and shocked, don't think the vote should stand, the Lib Dems … I am annoyed and shocked, don't think the vote should stand, the Lib Dems only won by 9%, surely this means she doesn't have a mandate to take up the position especially when there was 47% of the electorate who didn't bother to vote. Anyone know how we can start a protest and a court case to end the terrible way democracy works.

Just click here.

eslick

I am annoyed and shocked, don't think the vote should stand, the Lib Dems … I am annoyed and shocked, don't think the vote should stand, the Lib Dems only won by 9%, surely this means she doesn't have a mandate to take up the position especially when there was 47% of the electorate who didn't bother to vote. Anyone know how we can start a protest and a court case to end the terrible way democracy works.

I agree this decision should not stand, what about the people who didn't vote the Loony Liberals ? This just isn't fair,

Richmond should become an independent country so we can vote again.
Edited by: "shasnir" 2nd Dec 2016

Original Poster

eslick

Satire.

Let's see you actually put together a single argument to challenge it on the basis of this country's parliamentary democracy. Because that's what the legal challenge against Brexit was about.

This is exactly why people like you will never get the Brexit you wanted, because you're not the type to actually change things.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Satire.Let's see you actually put together a single argument to challenge … Satire.Let's see you actually put together a single argument to challenge it on the basis of this country's parliamentary democracy. Because that's what the legal challenge against Brexit was about.This is exactly why people like you will never get the Brexit you wanted, because you're not the type to actually change things.

There's always shauneco's march on the local Lidl. That might be a good starting point for our malcontent brexiters.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Satire.Let's see you actually put together a single argument to challenge … Satire.Let's see you actually put together a single argument to challenge it on the basis of this country's parliamentary democracy. Because that's what the legal challenge against Brexit was about.This is exactly why people like you will never get the Brexit you wanted, because you're not the type to actually change things.

"people like me" I believe in democracy my beliefs on Brexit aren't clouded by the result, if it had gone another way you wouldn't have got me, trying to fight democracy. I like many believe there was a parliamentary mandate for the referendum and the result should stand. Sadly those objecting to the vote are fighting to destroy democracy as we know it and those are the real "people" that should we should be worried about. They are not going to be able to stop Brexit, but you will harm the country trying to do so.

Original Poster

eslick

"people like me" I believe in democracy my beliefs on Brexit aren't … "people like me" I believe in democracy my beliefs on Brexit aren't clouded by the result, if it had gone another way you wouldn't have got me, trying to fight democracy. I like many believe there was a parliamentary mandate for the referendum and the result should stand. Sadly those objecting to the vote are fighting to destroy democracy as we know it and those are the real "people" that should we should be worried about. They are not going to be able to stop Brexit, but you will harm the country trying to do so.

You, like many, don't seem to understand the democracy of the country that you live in. How on Earth is that even possible in the internet age where Wikipedia can give you the information in a very easy to understand way?

Or is it the word advisory that you don't understand?

Here's the truth. There's 48% of the country who looked at their life and said that they didn't want things to change. 52% looked at it and said that they did.

Now you expect that 48% to let the majority dictate how their lives are affected without a fight? Maybe that's why you were in the 52% of the electorate who needed a vote to do the heavy lifting in changing your life.

Whilst not everyone who voted for the Liberal was a leftist nutjob you can be sure that every leftist nutjob voted for the Liberal.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

You, like many, don't seem to understand the democracy of the country … You, like many, don't seem to understand the democracy of the country that you live in. How on Earth is that even possible in the internet age where Wikipedia can give you the information in a very easy to understand way?Or is it the word advisory that you don't understand?Here's the truth. There's 48% of the country who looked at their life and said that they didn't want things to change. 52% looked at it and said that they did.Now you expect that 48% to let the majority dictate how their lives are affected without a fight? Maybe that's why you were in the 52% of the electorate who needed a vote to do the heavy lifting in changing your life.

I honestly don't know how you can still be saying what you are saying, I am of an age before the internet, someone who learns about things before making a decision. Democracy is democracy, you have a vote and the vote stands. Sadly and a little shockingly you don't get it and your last comment sums this all up, rather than making comments like this you might want to actually look at the internet you complain about and understand what democracy actually is.

I honestly cannot believe your last comment, that's what a dictator would say when they don't get their own way and make elections null and void. Unbelievable really, I have read many of your comments over the past few months and accept them but this last comment just unbelievable it really is. If you cant tell by my post I am completely shocked. Sorry for the rant,. wow just wow.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

......... maybe it hints at the lib dems being the party of remain … ......... maybe it hints at the lib dems being the party of remain voters.

Go back to your 9 constituencies - and prepare for Government.* X)

http://www.markpack.org.uk/files/2016/01/Tim-Farron-speaking-at-Liberal-Democrat-conference.jpg

* As long as Labour remain completely irrelevant, oh and the Tories don't put up a candidate of course.

Edited by: "Saturn" 2nd Dec 2016

Lib Dems fought a very hard campaign on this one. They had all of the big guns out.

I was actually told by a Lib Dem campaigner that "Zac Goldsmith was the UKIP candidate" when I asked him to clarify that he back tracked very quickly.

Politics is about persuading people and it seems that nowadays everyone thinks they are allowed to lie as long as they don't get found out.

No wonder politicians are held in such low regard and people rile against the establishment. Oh for a benevolent dictatorship.

Original Poster

shasnir

Whilst not everyone who voted for the Liberal was a leftist nutjob you … Whilst not everyone who voted for the Liberal was a leftist nutjob you can be sure that every leftist nutjob voted for the Liberal.

I'd say Labour were the party of the 'leftist nutjob' nowadays.

The lib-dems are actually to the right of Labour.
eslick

I honestly don't know how you can still be saying what you are saying, I … I honestly don't know how you can still be saying what you are saying, I am of an age before the internet, someone who learns about things before making a decision. Democracy is democracy, you have a vote and the vote stands. Sadly and a little shockingly you don't get it and your last comment sums this all up, rather than making comments like this you might want to actually look at the internet you complain about and understand what democracy actually is. I honestly cannot believe your last comment, that's what a dictator would say when they don't get their own way and make elections null and void. Unbelievable really, I have read many of your comments over the past few months and accept them but this last comment just unbelievable it really is. If you cant tell by my post I am completely shocked. Sorry for the rant,. wow just wow.

Democracy is not democracy because there are different types of political systems that are all democratic - again, you're demonstrating a fundamental lack of knowledge about the political system of the country you live in. That's a rather incredible thing, no matter what age you come from.

As for the rest, I'm sorry you're shocked but the truth is that 48% of the electorate aren't simply going to sit by and let 52% of the electorate change their way of life.

That's why you're seeing Brexit watered-down more and more every week. I'm sorry but that's true.

You weren't asked for your consent for globalisation, it just happened. That's good if you're a highly capable individual because the one thing globalisation is, is meritocratic. But if you're a low-skilled worker you're in a tight spot and I understand their frustrations, I really do.

But those people who were thriving before June 23rd aren't simply going to allow 17 million people to take money out of their pocket or one crumb off of their plates. If you haven't realised that by now then I'm sorry.

If you think Richmond was a game changing result - just keep an eye on the Austrian and Italian votes on Sunday oO . Fan could be well and truly hit by the smelly stuff in those two countries ! Might have to change my remain vote to leave ...... Oops too late (_;)

Original Poster

rogparki

If you think Richmond was a game changing result - just keep an eye on … If you think Richmond was a game changing result - just keep an eye on the Austrian and Italian votes on Sunday oO . Fan could be well and truly hit by the smelly stuff in those two countries ! Might have to change my remain vote to leave ...... Oops too late (_;)

Far right, nationalist sentiments are growing throughout Europe just as they are in this country. The reasons are broadly the same, and that's a terrifying thought to be honest.

That I would see the rise of the far-right not just in Europe, but in this country is something I never expected.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Far right, nationalist sentiments are growing throughout Europe just as … Far right, nationalist sentiments are growing throughout Europe just as they are in this country. The reasons are broadly the same, and that's a terrifying thought to be honest.That I would see the rise of the far-right not just in Europe, but in this country is something I never expected.

The British people don't vote for the Far right they never have done other than protest votes at councillor level, the rest is just in your mind.

My entire street voted Lib Dem.

david_wavid

My entire street voted Lib Dem.

Did you do a survey ?

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Far right, nationalist sentiments are growing throughout Europe just as … Far right, nationalist sentiments are growing throughout Europe just as they are in this country. The reasons are broadly the same, and that's a terrifying thought to be honest.That I would see the rise of the far-right not just in Europe, but in this country is something I never expected.

​​​The far right are fuelled by the very reasons you deride people on this site i.e. perceived lack of control, economic hardship etc etc. I'm amazed you can't see that.

Telling someone to "get on their bike", as Maggie put it, in a condescending or pompus manner is not going to change anything.

People need to be engaged with at a level they can relate to and the 'haves' in this new globalised world need to take more responsibility for doing that. If for no other reason than for the sake of themselves and their families who want to live in a decent, safe society. Nimbyism is simply someone burying their head in the sand.

Jesus that grin is rank [img]e3.365dm.com/16/…jpg?20161202043818[/img]

psmith1958

not 52%

you are one of the great MAJORITY that voted to take our country back from un-elected and unaccountable bureaucrats

Original Poster

colin4man

​​​The far right are fuelled by the very reasons you deride people on this … ​​​The far right are fuelled by the very reasons you deride people on this site i.e. perceived lack of control, economic hardship etc etc. I'm amazed you can't see that.Telling someone to "get on their bike", as Maggie put it, in a condescending or pompus manner is not going to change anything.People need to be engaged with at a level they can relate to and the 'haves' in this new globalised world need to take more responsibility for doing that. If for no other reason than for the sake of themselves and their families who want to live in a decent, safe society. Nimbyism is simply someone burying their head in the sand.

I actually do see that, but I'm not like you. I don't give people a free pass for supporting racists, new-nazis and white supremacists because they can't get a job in the area they grew up in.

People flock to these parties because they give them someone to blame, a scapegoat.

Lib Dems' new MP Sarah Olney dragged off-air after Brexit grilling in car crash radio interview.

SARAH OLNEY was pulled off-air by her own press officer after a car crash radio interview following her Richmond Park by-election victory.

The radio presenter began the interview by asking when the second by-election was, in reference to the Lib Dems' desire for another referendum on the EU.

A clearly taken aback Ms Olney replied: “I was very clear in my campaign exactly what I was standing for and the voters have returned me to parliament with a very clear mandate.”

Julia Hartley-Brewer then asked the 39-year-old whether the fact she had won less than 50% of the vote really entitled her to claim a mandate.

The last word of Sarah Olney was "I". And then she magically disappeared.

Actual interview

order-order.com/201…es/

telegraph.co.uk/new…ng/

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona810
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17396135
    3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!11
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213606

See more discussions