Expired

Lidl or Aldi ?

Found 4th May 2013
I used to be a massive Aldi fan. But now I have been seduced by Lidl's offerings.

I often find Lidl stocks better quality/quantity of local produce.

Good to support the local farmers.

What's your thoughts?
Community Updates
Misc
48 Comments
Original Poster Banned
http://www.internationalsupermarketnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/aldi_lidl_DW_Wirtsc_318250b.jpg
Original Poster Banned
[img]encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-Dc1_QElu5trYTvmKOSTyrJi0s2_YS8M45NIzamjwj1re5uBRDA[/img]
Neither
I use both, Lidl cheeses and cured meats are nicer, also get brand name stuff in Lidl which Aldi don't do, Lidl power tools are better, Aldi walking boots are better. Aldi Corele beans are the best.

I use Asda for the stuff I can't get in both of those. Or Ocado.
I use Aldi when they have an offer or two on. My brother is a manager at Aldi and he gets all sorts of Brucie Bonuses! Saying that, i got some baguettes from Lidl today and some veg to accompany my steak n ale pie! Beast! I shop wherever i am closest to
Original Poster Banned
so no -one care to comment about the tremendous support Aldi and Lidl give to UK farmers?

Original Poster Banned
csiman

thought all their stuff came from overseas, hence the german labels … thought all their stuff came from overseas, hence the german labels etc.....oO

nope.

meat and veg I mean. From freshly grown and executed local animals.
Both are good.

Don't understand this snobbishness as both sell high quality food and top all the independent taste tests. I especially like lidl fresh bread.
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article688370.ece/ALTERNATES/s298/Iceland+shopping+bag
Original Poster Banned
Ungreat

Both are good.Don't understand this snobbishness as both sell high … Both are good.Don't understand this snobbishness as both sell high quality food and top all the independent taste tests. I especially like lidl fresh bread.

I did notice Lidl had the bread and cookie machine. Aldi doesn't. I think.
lol at people slagging people off for where they shop.
We shop wherever we feel like it at the time.... we go in 99p stores when we're that way, occasionally Iceland and Aldi.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zRGwpvGPlGE/Su7ad7InqoI/AAAAAAAAB34/z_FmhdPL56w/s400/bovvered.jpg
Original Poster Banned
shop snobbery on a shopping deals site.

http://girlandtwilight.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/faceplam-watson.gif
csiman

thought all their stuff came from overseas, hence the german labels … thought all their stuff came from overseas, hence the german labels etc.....oO

nope, I used to work in a crappy factory, we used the same product for tesco/asda etc as we did for Aldi, they always put weird sounding names on their packets but were definitely made in the uk!
csiman

now that is hitting rock bottom!

Hardly. (_;)
Sainsburys.....

That is all.
csiman

true - at least no-one has started praising Chavsda

Where do you shop then?
I dont really understand Lidl, they are trying to be like Aldi - some stuff is good value, but they stock various brands that are the same price as the big four.
Original Poster Banned
Transformers

Where do you shop then?

Ah .. a Waitrose shopper.
Only the nouveau riche turn their nose up at Lidl/Aldi, middle class have no issues shopping there.
Original Poster Banned
LIDL FTW
I used to buy a fair bit in Aldi but been buying a fair bit in Lidl lately. Last 2 occasions I been Aldi all I've bought is some of them cheese dunkers for the children so I'm not really going go out my way to get to one anymore.
Ewwaxo is my favourite stalker
treble99

Lol its crazy no? Ppl slagging off others for where they shopIts crazy as … Lol its crazy no? Ppl slagging off others for where they shopIts crazy as the same person slagging off ppl for shopping in Aldi/Lidl who will brag about having 2 brand new cars in his driveway and then tell you that they are Hyundai's X)

High-and-dry
LIDL used to make the best juice in the glass bottles, wonder what happened to them.
Chicken or beef ?

[img]media1.picsearch.com/is?P6NsrmfkMfLavEOBGZgDqx-svc8aBN9LEB5xzEiuN8g&height=255[/img]

Edited by: "Monkeybumcheeks" 4th May 2013
Original Poster Banned
So.

I wasn't aware Aldi had a bakery. My local doesn't.

Lidl cookies are great though..
Original Poster Banned
I find..

LIDL bags are stronger than Aldi.
My local MP Cathy Jamieson caused quite a bit of controversy when it was revealed she shops in both!

I personally don't shop in either but only because Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury's/Morrisons are much closer

I did go there a couple of months back and this is so true:

http://t.qkme.me/3puwro.jpg
Lidl/Aldi are a god send in Europe as they stock the same stuff as the UK stores so if self catering you know what you are buying an can also get decent tea bags!
ewwaxo

I find..LIDL bags are stronger than Aldi.

Yeah and they have always had the carrier bag tax lol, well before the welsh government brought that in, but having to pay Mc Donald's 5p for a paper bag takes the mick.
What worries me is all the money and earths stocks that is wasted in finding which one of these supermarkets has the best cheese.
Lidl and Aldi are just too far away for me to shop there regularly
Edited by: "RossD89" 4th May 2013
aldi is good for dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid, moser roth chocolate bars, filled pasta, pocket tissues but not fake lurpak , which they call norpak, lidl doesnt seem very good in my experience. only go to aldi to stock up on the above otherwise not worth it.
Aldi and Lidl are great, they help keep the chavs out of Waitrose
I feel just a little sorry for those swayed by labels. Heck I have even been known to buy food from a market stall so whether it comes from Aldi or Lidl is a bit irrelevant to me. When I need food I buy it. Thats all.
I have even been a home producer in the past
If you are dyslexic they are the same store
Banned
WoolyM

I feel just a little sorry for those swayed by labels. Heck I have even … I feel just a little sorry for those swayed by labels. Heck I have even been known to buy food from a market stall so whether it comes from Aldi or Lidl is a bit irrelevant to me. When I need food I buy it. Thats all.

It's not all about labels though. Some consumers want a better service and overall shopping experience. I prefer to shop on waitrose, m&s and sainsburys. Asda if nappies are on offer. Not because I am a label snob. But I find food from waitrose and m&s to be better quality and is more pleasant to shop at. Staff are always polite and helpful. Other places you hardly get staff and if you ask them for help they look at you like you've asked them to donate a kidney.

Plus I hate shopping around chavs.
I prefer the bigger supermarkets, because I can generally get everything. I find Aldo/lidl I end up only getting so much of the shopping, and I still have to go to asda/tesco to get the remaining items.

I do generally buy certain brands, not because I am loyal, but because I am used to certain tastes, I don't mind trying new things, but you can't help prefrance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants