Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes (Complete 5 series - 40 episodes available on BBC i-Player). DCI GENE HUNT!!

Posted 31st Aug 2019
*Need a TV licence to watch/download*

Life On Mars (Series 1-2 - 16 Episodes)
bbc.co.uk/ipl…ars

Ashes To Ashes (Series 1-3 - 24 Episodes)
bbc.co.uk/ipl…hes

I can't believe that LOM was first broadcast in 2006-2007 and A2A in 2008-2010. Both excellent series, I preferred LOM but the music was (imo) better in A2A.
Community Updates
BBC.co.uk DealsMisc

Groups

Top comments
Excellent. Fire up the Quattro!
Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still haven't. I shall be binge watching it now.
Heat for bringing it to my attention.
34 Comments
Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes (Complete 5 series - 40 episodes available on BBC i-Player). Three words DCI GENE HUNT!

Life On Mars (Series 1-2 - 16 Episodes)
bbc.co.uk/ipl…ars

Ashes To Ashes (Series 1-3 - 24 Episodes)
bbc.co.uk/ipl…hes

I can't believe that LOM was first broadcast in 2006-2007 and A2A in 2008-2010. Both excellent series, I preferred LOM but the music was (imo) better in A2A.
Excellent programme
Excellent. Fire up the Quattro!
Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still haven't. I shall be binge watching it now.
Heat for bringing it to my attention.
Wow, What a quality program this was. The BBC do make a few good programs ( more so back in the day ) I can't justify paying for a TV license ATM and haven't for years now.
Maybe if they introduced say a monthly service PAYG like Netflixs I would be more inclined. Watch peaky blinders etc.
Biker.Jeff31/08/2019 18:50

Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still …Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still haven't. I shall be binge watching it now.Heat for bringing it to my attention.

So good, you won't be disappointed
Its dinner time , I'm having hoops
I`m hav`in hoops
robertr31/08/2019 18:31

Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes (Complete 5 series - 40 episodes available …Life On Mars & Ashes To Ashes (Complete 5 series - 40 episodes available on BBC i-Player). Three words DCI GENE HUNT!*Need a TV licence to watch/download*Life On Mars (Series 1-2 - 16 Episodes)https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b006t85s/life-on-marsAshes To Ashes (Series 1-3 - 24 Episodes)https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00jhp3l/ashes-to-ashesI can't believe that LOM was first broadcast in 2006-2007 and A2A in 2008-2010. Both excellent series, I preferred LOM but the music was (imo) better in A2A.

This statement made me laugh. Its like posting a deal to a car and stating 'Need an MOT to drive'.
The Gene Hunt character gets all the best lines, marvellous creation.
Edited by: "chimpee" 31st Aug 2019
Biker.Jeff31/08/2019 18:50

Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still …Amazingly, i never watched any of it when it was on tv.... and still haven't. I shall be binge watching it now.Heat for bringing it to my attention.

You are in for a treat sir
Spotted this yesterday and settling down to watch it with my 14-year-old this evening. She's in for a treat!
credington31/08/2019 20:01

*Need a TV licence to watch/download*This statement made me laugh. Its …*Need a TV licence to watch/download*This statement made me laugh. Its like posting a deal to a car and stating 'Need an MOT to drive'.

If they didn't say it, some ppl would have complained that's its not free as you've to pay for a TV licence
flintstone31/08/2019 20:36

If they didn't say it, some ppl would have complained that's its not free … If they didn't say it, some ppl would have complained that's its not free as you've to pay for a TV licence

True, and they would be correct. It isn't free for that very reason.
Edited by: "credington" 31st Aug 2019
credington31/08/2019 21:11

True, and they would be correct. It isn't free for that very reason.

I never posted it in freebies, the mods moved it there.
Keeley Hawes.........

...1980's fashion....

.....mmmmmmm......
Not got as far as Season 3 yet. Great spot. Heat added!
Always wanted to watch this - will make sure I do this time! Heat
Really liked Life On Mars but couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes, novelty I think had worn off. Not enough for me for them to change the sex and set it 10 years later.
greelyi31/08/2019 22:34

Not got as far as Season 3 yet. Great spot. Heat added!

Season 3? It's a bloody British show, how dare you. Series 3!
Cheers OP. I'm nearing the end of sopranos which i never watched first time round and need a new show!
xenophon31/08/2019 22:42

Really liked Life On Mars but couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes, novelty I …Really liked Life On Mars but couldn't get into Ashes to Ashes, novelty I think had worn off. Not enough for me for them to change the sex and set it 10 years later.

To be fair you should keep going, the whole story of both series was answered, who Gene Hunt really is etc...give it another go, it really isn't just a rehash.
Haliviel31/08/2019 23:59

To be fair you should keep going, the whole story of both series was …To be fair you should keep going, the whole story of both series was answered, who Gene Hunt really is etc...give it another go, it really isn't just a rehash.

I'm intrigued now. But I have so much waiting to be watched, mostly past stuff, I won't get round to it. But I might cheat and watch the last episode.
xenophon01/09/2019 00:09

I'm intrigued now. But I have so much waiting to be watched, mostly past …I'm intrigued now. But I have so much waiting to be watched, mostly past stuff, I won't get round to it. But I might cheat and watch the last episode.

It's not JUST about "arriving at' the final episode, it's the whole "drive" to get there...that final series just nudging you along to the final realisation..
Life on Mars, was THE BEST series for me, Philip Glenister and John Simm...sublime acting, rich characters...
Also KNOW where some of locations were(I am Stockport born and bread) .. probably helped..
Probably the last TV show I NEEDED to see .
renoman01/09/2019 00:47

...Also KNOW where some of locations were(I am Stockport born and bread) ..

They must have moved around a bit for period-looking locations, as I know one "car through tunnel" scene was filmed in a tunnel I walk through every day in South East London.
xenophon31/08/2019 22:45

Season 3? It's a bloody British show, how dare you. Series 3!

It's a fair cop gov'.
You got me bang to rights.
premierfella01/09/2019 14:00

They must have moved around a bit for period-looking locations, as I know …They must have moved around a bit for period-looking locations, as I know one "car through tunnel" scene was filmed in a tunnel I walk through every day in South East London.

Sorry, I should have been series specific..
-Life on Mars was set/shot in Manchester/surrounding areas..
-Ashes was set/shot "down south" 😋
But would be curious IF some shots/scenes were shot out of area, in either series..
It's all a little strange on locations, as it was a BBC Wales production..
Oh, to make us all feel old, Life... was 2005, yep, 14 years ago!!!!
Back to you premierfella ..
swelsbyuk31/08/2019 20:34

Spotted this yesterday and settling down to watch it with my 14-year-old …Spotted this yesterday and settling down to watch it with my 14-year-old this evening. She's in for a treat!

How many seasons and episodes?
EN1GMA02/09/2019 15:04

How many seasons and episodes?

Says in title ;-)
SPOILER ALERT

Not a huge spoiler, but didn't want anyone to think I'd spoiled anything for them! Read on only if you've seen entire series of Ashes:

At the very end of the last episode, during the credits, it suddenly stops and they play one of the traditional "Evening all" scenes from an original Dixon of Dock Green. Ever wondered why?

The first time Dixon was ever seen on film was in a film called The blue lamp. That was set BEFORE dixon of dock green, yet in the Blue Lamp Dixon got killed. I think they are telling us that Dixon was in the same predicament as the series characters, but years earlier.
I say everyone should watch this series as homework for brexit cause we going back to the 80s
EN1GMA02/09/2019 15:27

I say everyone should watch this series as homework for brexit I say everyone should watch this series as homework for brexit cause we going back to the 80s

...can we wind back our age clocks too??...
Some of us were just..about around in the 70s..
Oh the things we would do differently...IF only we knew then, what we now know...
renoman04/09/2019 08:45

...can we wind back our age clocks too??...Some of us were just..about …...can we wind back our age clocks too??...Some of us were just..about around in the 70s..Oh the things we would do differently...IF only we knew then, what we now know...

Sell the 2000AD comic collection and buy Microsoft shares with the funds when they floated?
Thanks for posting this as it would never have come to my attention.

Have been watching them through to the end and I don't know how I managed to completely miss these on their first airing. Quality show and very nostalgic.

DCI Hunt is a legend.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants