Groups

Lifted ground hdmi sparks

Plugged a HDMI cable from my Nano PC into my home cinema any everything seems alright but before I plugged the hdmi into the amp I was checking where the socket was and if the cable would reach with the amp still in standby, accidently tapped the cover and was awarded with lots of little sparks. Switched off the amp and connected fine without the sparks but it got me wondering if the sparks are caused by the pd difference between the Nano PC ground and the lifted ground of the home cinema. I've come across this thing before between lifted ground USB devices and my PC in the past as well.

Can anyone shine any light on this ?

5 Comments

possibly static discharge

Original Poster

srp111

possibly static discharge

Only occured when the Home cinema was switched on at the wall so I don't think it's a build up.
    I think I've found some information on it.
    Turns out a class 2 device i.e. double insulated with no earth will have a high resistance leakage path from chasis back to mains which is around half the mains voltage i.e. 120V but extremely low current.

Because my nano PC is earthed I'm shorting this 120V low current on the amp hdmi chasis to earth thru the hdmi lead I think ? oO

Why does it matter?

craigstephens

Why does it matter?

It doesn't. LoL.

Original Poster

craigstephens

Why does it matter?

It matters because even though the HDMI standard supports hotswapping plugging your PC GPU into a non grounded amp or even some TVs could blow or damage the HDMI port. It would explain why manufacturers suggest switching off at the wall on both devices before connecting.

Knowing why you shouldn't do something and why it happens only in some circumstances is important. Hopefully it will help a few people figure out why their new 4K TV HDMI port is fried after plugging in their 4K bluray player.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044585
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767526
      3. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691434
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047199

See more discussions