Light bulb help

Posted 23rd SepEdited by:"little_green"
Hi I bought this lamp argos.co.uk/pro…727

a while ago but have never got round to getting bulbs for it as Argos was always sold out and now they don't even seem to have them at all l.
It states the type I need it "golfball SES small edison eco halogen bulb"
I can't find any of those on the Argos site.
What wattage is best to get? I see Argos have globe style bulbs would they fit?
If anyone can recommend where is going to get the right type of bulb thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

23 Comments
Not trying to be rude but you have all the info you need. SES bulb / Golfball type / 6-40w rating. here are some examples (if you have a Wilko near you):

wilko.com/en-…rew

Just choose what brightness you would prefer - but don't exceed the rated figure - i.e. 40w max. Then what style of bulb would suit the lamp, i.e. older type or halogen (as described) or the newer, better LED. LED will use less energy to provide the same lumen (brightness) rating than a halogen equivalent.

The only thing I would add is, if the lamp is a "dimmable" lamp then an equivalent "dimmable" bulb would be advised as sometimes the non-dimmable LED variety can 'buzz' slightly.

Regards, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 23rd Sep
Ses stands for small edison screw. Any one will do it. Just pick a halogen one. The ses post is the fitting, the rest is your choice. Led has almost zero heat output, the filament type has most heat output. Then there is warm up time - shine bulbs take time to achieve full brightness. Then there is the economy of the bulb versus the initial outlay. Just get a candle - it's easier.
Any incandescent/halogen bulb up to max 40W with SES fitting. The golf ball design is simply an aesthetic suggestion, likely to ensure the bulb does not protrude beyond the top of the shade. LED option would be up to 7W SES dimmable, but likely not suitable for LED dimmable requirements, so stick with a Halogen bulb up to 40W.
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 23rd Sep
If you just read the Q & A on the Argos site, lots of people ask a similar question. Many are recommending the Osram 30W Eco Classic SES Golf Ball Bulb. Several have mentioned the flickering/buzzing and lack of control using LED bulbs but I would imagine they have used cheap "non-dimmable" varieties. In fact, many say they have bought Poundland/Poundstretcher bulbs and have had issues. These will be non-dimmable bulbs.

The dimmable bulbs have a slightly different circuit design for the LED drivers and can handle the differing voltages better. A halogen bulb is more closely related to the old design bulbs from yesteryear so don't suffer the same. They just use more energy but in all honesty, the lamp is only rated to 40w max so doesn't use much leccy anyway.

I hope any of my drivel can help you, little_green.
Get minisun SES e14 led golf ball.. 1 is £4 or 6 are £10 Off amazon...Get warm white as a lamp, 4watts....Don't get halogen even though that's what stated. Things moved on now so get a led light...Oh candle type ses also fine if you want...
Edited by: "wayners" 23rd Sep
I missed that it was a touch lamp. Think that may not work properly with led bulb then even if dimmable.
Hi all thanks for the responses. It would make life easier if I could get the bulb from Argos but hey ho.
So just to double check my understanding I can use basically any small eddison screw bulb whether "goofball" or "globe". It doesn't have to be halogen and actually led would be better?
I'm not overly bothered by the 3 different settings tbh as will probably only end up using one, if that makes any difference to what bulbs I get or not.
Sorry for all the noob questions lightbulbs are something I have literally zero experience in!
To avoid any issues related to a possible fire + to be more energy efficient I recommend LED, at least 5W but no more than 10W.
would these work any of the following work (& if so what option is better).
argos.co.uk/pro…620 - realize not dimmable but does it matter if I only plan to use the lamp on one setting? The small print says "Please note that touch and dimmer lamps may not be compatible with energy saving bulbs." does that mean the bulb wont work in the lamp at all or simply that the dimmable option wont work?

or would these be a better option :
screwfix.com/p/l…63t
Your examples, too expensive.

1) If you have Amazon Prime, or you're planing buying something from Amazon of at least£ 20 (!making sure that you select FREE delivery!), then one Osram 6W, £1.76, from the warehouse should be fine: amazon.co.uk/gp/…9//
2) From Farnell (FREE shipping), prices starting from £0.90 (6W) for some generic-name bulbs (but not bad for the price)
: cpc.farnell.com/w/c…RIC
little_green23/09/2019 15:00

Hi all thanks for the responses. It would make life easier if I could get …Hi all thanks for the responses. It would make life easier if I could get the bulb from Argos but hey ho.So just to double check my understanding I can use basically any small eddison screw bulb whether "goofball" or "globe". It doesn't have to be halogen and actually led would be better?I'm not overly bothered by the 3 different settings tbh as will probably only end up using one, if that makes any difference to what bulbs I get or not. Sorry for all the noob questions lightbulbs are something I have literally zero experience in!

TobyZ23/09/2019 16:02

To avoid any issues related to a possible fire + to be more energy …To avoid any issues related to a possible fire + to be more energy efficient I recommend LED, at least 5W but no more than 10W.

To function correctly dimmable LED bulbs often require a different dimming circuit to incandescent / halogen bulbs so an LED solution in this instance is not ideal and certain LED bulbs may simply not actually function. If the dimming stages of the lamp can be bypassed so the bulb is in either one of two states (full on or completely off) a standard LED will be suitable; but if the power to the bulb is applied in obligatory steps then there may be an issue with some LED bulbs, LED dimmable or not.
Summary:
best compatibility = SES halogen up to 40W (if you can find any)
might be OK: SES dimmable LED up to about 7W
questionable: SES non-dimmable LED up to about 7W.
Would these work
screwfix.com/p/s…46k
Though I cant seem to add to basket

Sorry but this seems to be getting ridiculous to find a bulb that will actually work in my lamp.
So it has to be halogen under 40w dimmable and ses screw type.
Edited by: "little_green" 24th Sep
little_green24/09/2019 14:45

Would these work …Would these work https://www.screwfix.com/p/ses-mini-globe-halogen-light-bulb-410lm-30w-3-pack/4046kThough I cant seem to add to basketSorry but this seems to be getting ridiculous to find a bulb that will actually work in my lamp.So it has to be halogen under 40w dimmable and ses screw type.

You aren't kidding!! Blimey, I'll try and be as gracious as I can but you are REALLY making a simple thing extremely difficult. You have all the info. You could walk into any shop that sells bulbs - give them the spec that you need and they would point you in the right direction. People on here have given you suggestions too.

I was in Wilko yesterday and saw many bulbs that you could use. Even some on clearance sale at 50p. The ideal one for your situation is an E14 bulb @ £4.00. It is dimmable so will function correctly in your lamp. If you think this is pricey, do remember that these bulbs generally have a life of 15-25 years so you won't be buying one every year.

If you are dead set on just buying ANY OLD BULB then bare in mind you may suffer from the lamp buzzing and/or flickering as well as not working on the 3 brightness levels. I know you said you don't care if you can't change the brightness but could you live with the flickering and buzzing? I'm guessing not...
Phsycronix24/09/2019 15:04

You aren't kidding!! Blimey, I'll try and be as gracious as I can but you …You aren't kidding!! Blimey, I'll try and be as gracious as I can but you are REALLY making a simple thing extremely difficult. You have all the info. You could walk into any shop that sells bulbs - give them the spec that you need and they would point you in the right direction. People on here have given you suggestions too.I was in Wilko yesterday and saw many bulbs that you could use. Even some on clearance sale at 50p. The ideal one for your situation is an E14 bulb @ £4.00. It is dimmable so will function correctly in your lamp. If you think this is pricey, do remember that these bulbs generally have a life of 15-25 years so you won't be buying one every year.If you are dead set on just buying ANY OLD BULB then bare in mind you may suffer from the lamp buzzing and/or flickering as well as not working on the 3 brightness levels. I know you said you don't care if you can't change the brightness but could you live with the flickering and buzzing? I'm guessing not...

i understand for someone that knows about this stuff it may seem simple but for someone who doesn it's less so. I appreciate all the comments/help however there has been conflicting info which has led to my further confusion ie people saying LED will work & other's saying they wont & i should get halogen.
Also I don't have a wilko locally. Where is this e14 bulb you mention as I had a look online at wilko & couldnt find it?
yes your right, flickering & buzzing would be annoying hence I want to get the right type of bulb but as stated above, contradictory comments have made me confused as to what the right type of bulb actually is.
Edited by: "little_green" 24th Sep
little_green24/09/2019 14:45

Would these work …Would these work https://www.screwfix.com/p/ses-mini-globe-halogen-light-bulb-410lm-30w-3-pack/4046kThough I cant seem to add to basketSorry but this seems to be getting ridiculous to find a bulb that will actually work in my lamp.So it has to be halogen under 40w dimmable and ses screw type.

No. It doesn't HAVE to be halogen. But, if you choose LED then it is advisable to get "dimmable" as they are designed to work with a lamp such as the one you have purchased.

Yes. Do not exceed 40w. Of course, if you choose LED, they only operate on a fraction of the power to produce the same amount of "light" that a standard bulb would have - hence when you see the rating it says: xW=xW. The first 'x' is the power it uses and the second 'x' is the equivalent standard wattage.

So, here is an example bulb that would do you:
wilko.com/en-…813

6W=40W (it uses only 6 watts to achieve an equivalent of a 40 watt standard bulb.
little_green24/09/2019 15:16

i understand for someone that knows about this stuff it may seem simple …i understand for someone that knows about this stuff it may seem simple but for someone who doesn it's less so. I appreciate all the comments/help however there has been conflicting info which has led to my further confusion ie people saying LED will work & other's saying they wont & i should get halogen. Also I don't have a wilko locally. Where is this e14 bulb you mention as I had a look online at wilko & couldnt find it?yes your right, flickering & buzzing would be annoying hence I want to get the right type of bulb but as stated above, contradictory comments have made me confused as to what the right type of bulb actually is.

Completely understandable little_green. That is why I'm trying to understand why you don't just visit a DIY store or Tesco etc. and just ask them to help you - providing the spec for your lamp. Surely that has to be the easiest and most frustration-free method to solve your problem?

What stores do you have locally, may I ask?
Phsycronix24/09/2019 15:19

Completely understandable little_green. That is why I'm trying to …Completely understandable little_green. That is why I'm trying to understand why you don't just visit a DIY store or Tesco etc. and just ask them to help you - providing the spec for your lamp. Surely that has to be the easiest and most frustration-free method to solve your problem?What stores do you have locally, may I ask?

hi locally i have argos, b&q, tesco, morrison, screwfix, sainsbury, asda, homebase - so preferably from one of those so i can use clock & collect as never in when mail comes.

unfotunately wilko will be £5 delivery

would any of these bulbs be suitable? let me know & i can go ahead & order. thanks for you help & patience.

argos.co.uk/pro…908

sainsburys.co.uk/sho…4-p

screwfix.com/p/l…868

tesco.com/gro…077

diy.com/dep…prd
little_green24/09/2019 16:14

hi locally i have argos, b&q, tesco, morrison, screwfix, sainsbury, asda, …hi locally i have argos, b&q, tesco, morrison, screwfix, sainsbury, asda, homebase - so preferably from one of those so i can use clock & collect as never in when mail comes. unfotunately wilko will be £5 deliverywould any of these bulbs be suitable? let me know & i can go ahead & order. thanks for you help & patience. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8881908https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/light-bulbs/sainsburys-home-bulb-led-mini-globe-40w-ses-dimmable-131457684-phttps://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ses-mini-globe-led-light-bulb-470lm-6w-3-pack/1963t?source=aw&awc=1228_1569336959_f520de1a523f9aaa12f2a2497bd0744a&utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Communities+%26+UGC&utm_content=TextLink&utm_term=47868https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/294263077https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-e14-30w-mini-globe-halogen-dimmable-light-bulb-pack-of-3/1324651_BQ.prd

Argos - No. If you notice, that's a ES - not SES. It would be too big.

Sainsbury's - Yes. Pricey but hey, it'll last! The only thing I can't tell is the overall size but it is a "mini-globe."

Screwfix - Yes. You're really getting the hang of this now aren't you? That is better value for money as it's for three but you'll probably only ever use one! Out of interest, check out the Q & A on that page. First one is someone asking if they work in a touch-lamp. To save you time: Answer=yes. Also, someone asked if they could be used in an oven!!! Lol. Priceless! Yum. Melted plastic, anyone?

Tesco - Yes but with a caveat. This is why I wouldn't suggest halogen. They don't last remotely as long as LED. They also don't save you near as much energy (even if you're not that bothered.) 28w to get 370 lumens as opposed to around 6w to get 470 lumens LED. For that reason I'd say no to this one. However, it's horses for courses as it is for two bulbs, they are dimmable and clear glass so you see the element. On a lamp with a shade though, I wouldn't worry about that!

B & Q - Same as above really. One more bulb, slightly brighter but still halogen. Up to you really. Actually, B & Q have gazillions of E14 options. It comes down to what design you want: Globe or candle, frosted or clear. Choices, choices eh?
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 24th Sep
Here's a few choices from B & Q:

1) Cooler white than the usual "yellow" light
2) Regular "warm white" yellow light
3) Popped this one in. Slightly overpowered but fine - just a bit brighter
4) The wildcard! Nice "candle" bulb. Cheap (clearance) if it fits your shade

As with everything in this world - there's too much choice and it just confuses people eh? I'm sorry if this seems like information overload. When it comes down to it, you know have several options to choose from.

All you need to decide is:

Halogen or LED. I would suggest LED from a longevity vs price and energy-saving perspective. Halogen ARE cheaper but it is technology slowly being phased out just like incandescent (old) bulbs.

Globe or candle. Globe will obviously fit - candle look nice but only if it fits your lamp, height-wise. If the shade is quite short, it could protrude or cast light out from the top which you may not like. The measurements are listed in the product details so you could measure beforehand if you wished to.

Temperature. This one is going a bit 'deep' but all you need to know is that the spectrum runs from warm white to cool white. Warm white gives you the traditional 'yellow' glow as opposed to cool white that give you a brighter 'blue' light. For a traditional table lamp, warm white would be the norm. Personal preference really.

I hope this is giving you more confidence to make an informed choice, little_green.
@Phsycronix
I have ordered the screwfix ones. I actually have 2 of the lamps so it'll be handy to have a bulb spare.
many thanks for all your help (and patience )
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants