Light Bulb Moment - Alternative to Hive, Wifi Bulbs - Band Separating

Posted 3rd Jun 2020Edited by:"saintscouple"
I currently have 2 x pendant lights in the lounge with a hive bulb in each.
I have 2 x new light fittings ordered - each require 4 x E14's!

Costing this for Hive is very pricey, but I've seen an alternative bulb that connects to 2.4Ghz wifi only.

My router set-up at the moment is where the 2.4 and 5 bands are combined, and i have 3 x BT mini-discs paced around the home, 1 is in the lounge where the bulbs will be.

Wifi devices - we have 2 x mobiles, 2 x tablets, 2 x chromebooks, 1 x Ring Doorbell, 1 x printer, 1 x soundbar, and 4 Alexa devices.
Tv's, sky box, xbox are all hardwired.

If the advice is to split bands at the router (TalkTalk) what is the best way to do this, given I've not done this before?

I'm trying to factor in that we have the mini discs - and whilst the mobiles more around the house, the other devices remain static to 1 room.

Or perhaps because I have the mini discs seperating the bands won't be necessary?

Thanks for any help.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
MY advice is to change to standar b22 or e27, much cheaper and less smart bulbs required to light up
My advice is to get a hue bridge and then the cheaper innr bulbs replace hive where you can i have hue through the house and there are compatible bulbs for cheaper I have hive gu10s in the kitchen and they are slow and they can't be set exactly how I want.. Id advise against using WiFi bulbs if you need lots of them.
Combining bands just means they're advertised together, it's not a way for devices to connect to both at once and a 2.4Ghz-only device will be fine with it.
why not just get a switch that is smart rather than bulbs? then your 'dumb' bulbs become smart
alternartively, just get a sonoff 10a - i got these for <$5 and put them in ceiling between live and light circuit (need to be always powered), and all my ceiling lights are now 'smart'
hashman04/06/2020 10:31

why not just get a switch that is smart rather than bulbs? then your …why not just get a switch that is smart rather than bulbs? then your 'dumb' bulbs become smart alternartively, just get a sonoff 10a - i got these for <$5 and put them in ceiling between live and light circuit (need to be always powered), and all my ceiling lights are now 'smart'

good option if you can fit yourself, cost of buying and paying electrican not worth it that point IMO
hashman04/06/2020 10:31

why not just get a switch that is smart rather than bulbs? then your …why not just get a switch that is smart rather than bulbs? then your 'dumb' bulbs become smart alternartively, just get a sonoff 10a - i got these for <$5 and put them in ceiling between live and light circuit (need to be always powered), and all my ceiling lights are now 'smart'

I wasn't aware you could get a smart switch - guess these are wifi and just replace existing switch?
Mine is 2 gang 2 way - Any recommendations?
saintscouple04/06/2020 15:54

I wasn't aware you could get a smart switch - guess these are wifi and …I wasn't aware you could get a smart switch - guess these are wifi and just replace existing switch? Mine is 2 gang 2 way - Any recommendations?

first check if your switch has a neutral wire.
mine didn't as it was done quite some time before... that is why i went the sonoff 10A way

if it has neutral - then you have many optionson amazon that will work
hashman04/06/2020 16:16

first check if your switch has a neutral wire.mine didn't as it was done …first check if your switch has a neutral wire.mine didn't as it was done quite some time before... that is why i went the sonoff 10A wayif it has neutral - then you have many optionson amazon that will work

Cheers, just opened her and and see the blue wire, so got the neutral.... it's a 2 gang 2 way so will look on amazon, cheers.
saintscouple04/06/2020 17:04

Cheers, just opened her and and see the blue wire, so got the neutral.... …Cheers, just opened her and and see the blue wire, so got the neutral.... it's a 2 gang 2 way so will look on amazon, cheers.

great - either of these would work then
itead.cc/sma…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text