Lightning killed my TV earlier, advice claiming under house insurance?

Found 22nd Apr 2012
Earlier my TV cut out the split second I saw lightning in the corner of my eye. I plan to ring up tomorrow and make a claim under the house insurance. If they cannot repair it and it needs replacing, what am I entitled to?

Basically, I originally had a TV that developed a fault within 6 months or so. Samsung collected the TV under warranty and attempted to repair it, the repair centre had to order a part and kept pushing back the time that they'd get it. They kept messing me about promising phone calls back that I never received, after having it for several months they said they couldn't repair it and offered to replace it with an upgraded model as compensation for messing me about. The original one cost £950 at the time and the replacement was worth around £1,500.

When I ring up to claim tomorrow, if they don't/can't repair it, can I expect them to replace it to the equivalent of the current TV or only the original one I paid for?

Any advice would be great, thanks.
Community Updates
MiscInsuranceTV
50 Comments
I'm not sure you should mention lightning tho some insurances like you to use surge supressors and get out of it as an act of god
Have you tried replacing the fuse ?
First off check your terms and conditions to make sure your policy covers elictrical damage by force of nature.

Secondly dig out the receipt as you won't be to claim without it.

Thirdly it will be covered for todays value.

Fourth if they offer you a settlement in cash make sure it will be enough to replace the tv at the same specs.

My insurance company tried to fob me off with £650 for my sammy led tv, I told them I won't be able to get a similiar spec for the price in the end the final offer was £1099 (I paid £1250 for it 18 months prior) (quite a leap I think you'll agree)

Just my guess here but I think they will go off the £950 price on the original unless you have documentation for the dearer tv.

Original Poster
Thing is, it is connected to a surge protector. The light for the surge is still on, it also makes a noise when the surge part is used and nothing happened. From what I've read about our policy, it should be covered for lightning, just a £50 excess.
steve2k34

I'm not sure you should mention lightning tho some insurances like you to … I'm not sure you should mention lightning tho some insurances like you to use surge supressors and get out of it as an act of god

X)
Don't mention lightning, our house got hit and it fried the aerial and the wires from it to the tvs and also screwed up our pc.
They don't want anything to do with it.
simonturner69

X)

It's not really funny , it's true
Original Poster
calum c

Have you tried replacing the fuse ?

It still turns on, just spazzes out. I cannot get a display at all. The back light keeps turning on and off, The LED at the bottom of the TV which is usually constantly on now flashes instead. It does not respond to any controls, on the TV or by using the remote, the LED on the TV does flash when you press a button so it knows the signal is getting to it. However, If I keep trying on the remote rarely I can get the input menu to appear for a second or two, when I try to select or do anything you hear a small click and it powers down. I've left it turned off for a long time, kept trying all throughout the day and the same thing happened every time.
So have you tried to replace the fuse ?
Original Poster
No, as it still turns on the fuse would be fine?
If it still turns on, what's actually wrong with it ?
yeah but no but yeah but no Tracy down the road had the same problem but her boy friend said mandy could fix it but mandy was a tart and she was so not into Linda who gave her a tv but then Dave came and said I can and she never did but he said she would and never asked her but she still said no but yeah baut no.
Dont those surge protectors have a guarantee against failure? Im sure mine does. Not sure where my documents are though...
But from what I remember when I got mine, you can make a claim against them if it fails.
Original Poster
No picture at all, the LED light for standby mode is now flashing instead of constantly on. The back light turns on and off by itself randomly (black blank screen but the LED back lighting turns on). As i said before, I can sometime but rarely get the input menu to show for a second or two then the TV powers off and back to just the standby LED flashing.
Original Poster
hellbentondeals

Dont those surge protectors have a guarantee against failure? Im sure … Dont those surge protectors have a guarantee against failure? Im sure mine does. Not sure where my documents are though... But from what I remember when I got mine, you can make a claim against them if it fails.

Most do, but not this one.
If the aerial was struck how would a surge protector save it?
You need aerial points with protectors in them, you can tell because they have pcbs in them.
Original Poster
It's using Virgin Media cable, no aerial. So i'm not sure why the surge protector didn't trigger off.
Maybe it was just a coincidence.
Original Poster
I can't see that being the case. I was using the TV at the time, the split second i saw a lightning flash through the window the tv powered down. So if I am covered under my home insurance, any idea if it will be covered under this TV or the not so good model I originally bought?
Banned
RyanLUFC

I can't see that being the case. I was using the TV at the time, the … I can't see that being the case. I was using the TV at the time, the split second i saw a lightning flash through the window the tv powered down. So if I am covered under my home insurance, any idea if it will be covered under this TV or the not so good model I originally bought?

Hence it being a coincidence.
I can't see the insurance paying out unless it falls forward off your TV stand or has a drink spilt on it, maybe.
I always thought lightning strikes were through the aerial.
RyanLUFC

It's using Virgin Media cable, no aerial. So i'm not sure why the surge … It's using Virgin Media cable, no aerial. So i'm not sure why the surge protector didn't trigger off.

Interesting? I was thinking of lols with you but you have a point maybe.
Just trying to think where the lightening could have hit the cable network and if it did you probably won't be the only one effected, funny thing is no one will know.
Did your circuit breakers trip or is anything else damaged in the house?
Even if it was the lightning, how do you plan to prove it?

More likely just a coincidence.
Banned
Inactive

Even if it was the lightning, how do you plan to prove it?More likely … Even if it was the lightning, how do you plan to prove it?More likely just a coincidence.

Can't have been a coincidence because the lightning and the TV breaking happened at the same time
Original Poster
No nothing else that i've noticed, although I just found out that the virgin media TV box in another room needed turning off and on at the switch. The menus would come up but no picture display, was fine after a hard reset. Could it have been through the cable for the Virgin media V+ box? I'm not sure if the V+ box it was connected to had problems when it happened, it was connected to my laptop through HDMI at the time.
Back to the previous question, insurance should pay out like for like depending on age.
greatest666

Can't have been a coincidence because the lightning and the TV breaking … Can't have been a coincidence because the lightning and the TV breaking happened at the same time

Of course it can be a coincidence, you will need an independent engineers report to verify the cause, assuming that your insurance covers you against such eventualities.
Original Poster
I guess i'll just speak to them tomorrow and see what they say. As you say, I have no proof the lightning caused it. Fingers crossed.
this place gets madder by the day, lightning didnt kill your tv
Ask them a question of whether they are aware of any lightening surges or incidents in their network during that time.
pinkleponkle

this place gets madder by the day, lightning didnt kill your tv

Im no techie but is it because the his tv has internal fuse (fast blow) to stop that from happening?
We have had this before and the insurance did cover it - well, the tv, computers & other electronics. Lightning also struck a tree 2 metres from the house and split it in half...15 years later it's the weirdest looking tree you have ever seen X)
In the future you should consider buying the extension leads with power surge protection, it might not be 100% lightning-proof but it'll at least give you a better protection and some peace of mind.
A friend of mine has had lightning strike her house 3 times, breaking the computers, tvs, electronics etc and had to claim on insurance each time - by the 3rd time I think both my friend and her insurance company were seriously unimpressed off lol
Original Poster
sickly sweet

We have had this before and the insurance did cover it - well, the tv, … We have had this before and the insurance did cover it - well, the tv, computers & other electronics. Lightning also struck a tree 2 metres from the house and split it in half...15 years later it's the weirdest looking tree you have ever seen X)In the future you should consider buying the extension leads with power surge protection, it might not be 100% lightning-proof but it'll at least give you a better protection and some peace of mind.

Did you have to get an "engineers report to verify the cause"?
RyanLUFC

Did you have to get an "engineers report to verify the cause"?

TBH, it was over 10 years ago so I can't remember. Sorry. I think they might have taken the items away or had an engineer come to the house to look at them, they didn't just pay out without checking them out.
Had a 32" crt that went on the blink about 5 years ago, i poured some coke down the back of it and claimed the insurance on it. No receipt, no visit by engineer, said it was a birthday present and cost about £700 -£800 back in the day, got a valuation of about £300 for a replacement from their preferred supplier and paid the extra for a 42" lcd.
Are you really sure that it was lightning that has damaged your TV? Because if it wasn't lightning, you could get the retailer to arrange for its repair or replace it, if it is under 2 years old. If it is between 2 and 6 years old, you would need to contact the manufacturer about the repair or compensatory payment.
Joey Bloggsy

Im no techie but is it because the his tv has internal fuse (fast blow) … Im no techie but is it because the his tv has internal fuse (fast blow) to stop that from happening?

You are obviously not a techie because any competent person would know that there isn't a fuse inside the TV that is is anyway connected to the aerial.
Edited by: "Grill" 23rd Apr 2012
Banned
Grill. Read the thread. Since when did virgin media use aerials?

OP - if it's not connected to an aerial and the surge protector is still intact then lightning did not break your TV
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants