Limescale in shower?

Posted 13th May
Hi, recently my shower has been getting hotter and hotter so I assumed the shower head was clogged up with limescale so i cleaned it with limescale remover like I normally do every 6-12 months.

Upon rinsing it out this time though there were literally hundreds of little flakes coming out. Everytime I poured more water in and emptied it more flakes came out, even after 5 minutes this was occurring.

I gave up and connected the shower head and it now seems to be back to normal even though there is probably still tons in there. Just wanted to get some opinions on if it just limescale as i’ve never had it before and when i ran the shower with no head connected, for the first 5 seconds flakes also came out

3463096-mQzzk.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
40740111.jpg

Just to add it is an electric shower and i don’t see flakes from the tap in the bath or sink
Edited by: "annlight72" 13th May
Copper pipes.
Edited by: "waterloo" 13th May
Anything to be concerned about? House was built in 1989 if that helps
Edited by: "annlight72" 13th May
annlight7213/05/2020 22:53

Anything to be concerned about? House was built in 1989 if that helps

I'm not a expert so cannot answer that sorry, but looks like the water is mixing with copper somewhere ?.
From Google
Blue or blue-green water likely means it contains copper. When water stands in copper pipes, the copper sometimes dissolves, which causes a blue tint when it reacts with the water. ... This gets worse when the water is hotter and can cause physical damage to piping and hasten the need to replace your plumbing.
The little tank inside the shower is probably corroding. Time for a new shower unit ?
If I were you, I’ll certainly call a fully qualified plumber and get it inspected. Its worth every penny rather than assumptions!
My personal opinion though.

I had a noise issue when opening and closing the taps and the plumber confirmed there is Air stuck and the pipes weren’t properly sticked to the sealing. He tightened it up and all sorted.
if it in pipe and shower head isn't nothing special and few years old I just replace it and pipe as ain't much.
did you try it without the pipe
tho these comments look right as normal lime scale normal brown not blue,green so could be mixing but no plumber
Dead unicorn in your water tank maybe?
What has happened is that the heating element in your electric shower has overheated and this has caused the limescale and corrision that has built up on it over the years to crack and flake off. The same thing happens in an electric kettle if you accidentally switch it on without filling it.
The limescale is a green / blue colour because the element is made of copper, the black bits are corrosion.
Is the shower back to its normal temperature now or is it still running hot?
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 14th May
Delbert.Grady14/05/2020 12:14

What has happened is that the heating element in your electric shower has …What has happened is that the heating element in your electric shower has overheated and this has caused the limescale and corrision that has built up on it over the years to crack and flake off. The same thing happens in an electric kettle if you accidentally switch it on without filling it. The limescale is a green / blue colour because the element is made of copper, the black bits are corrosion.Is the shower back to its normal temperature now or is it still running hot?

It is still ok at the moment. Its worth noting that when the head isn’t connected the water comes out warm not hot
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions