limiting Internet access at bed time for children

Found 13th May 2015
Can someone please assist us, I am sure there many worried parents out there, we just want to limit, /restrict our children from accessing Internet during bedtime.
Tried pulling out plugs and sockets but to no avail.
There must be apps or software out there that can help restrict usage between certain times.
We are on sky and they only have sky shield. That I am told only restricts age groups.
Regards

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
AskBed
41 Comments
take the phones / laptops / tablets off them at night ?
tried.always find them.
Buy a router that supports it. I got the asus ac66u and put Merlins firmware on it. It has parental controls which disables the internet at hourly times you choose.
Can it be used with sky fibre?
It can. Thats what I have and it works well. You just need to extract your log on details using shark wire (I think) google it. It will tell you how to get it. Then just enter it on asus configuration page. What modem do you currently have sr101 or sr102 Black or white one?
we take all electronic off the kids 10 and 12 years old on school days and also we have a BT home hub 3(cheap on ebay now) which you can have a timer on so wi-fi goes off at 10.30pm every night anyway which to be honest also helps us parents go to bed sometimes as there is no chance of stay up all night watching Netflix...

Given the chance of keeping a laptop at the weekend our 12 year old boy will stay up till 4am and be horrible all the next day. it's hard as a lot of kids seem to think Internet access is a basic right nowadays and we have sometimes have verbal fights over turning it off as a kids punishment.

We now see in our children that it's hard for them to just sit quiet without any type of electronic activities going on either being the xbox,tablet,laptop or a phone and we live in a beautiful countryside house with plenty to do outside.
Sleep with the router?

Given the chance of keeping a laptop at the weekend our 12 year old boy … Given the chance of keeping a laptop at the weekend our 12 year old boy will stay up till 4am and be horrible all the next day. it's hard as a lot of kids seem to think Internet access is a basic right nowadays and we have sometimes have verbal fights over turning it off as a kids punishment.

Isn't 4am excessive for a Twelve year old to stay up, even 10.30pm on School Days? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a child needs a good restful nights sleep, especially if it affects their work and attitude. Also how can you possibly know their internet activity if you're asleep, including Netflix!? It is not a basic right to have internet.

As rev6 said sleep with the router, password protect the modem/router (daily rigmarole of doing that:( ) or otherwise use parental settings on each device, operating system, or dedicated software to reduce their usage (rev6 would probably know how). Otherwise use a search engine for a tuition.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 13th May 2015
pimmzy

tried.always find them.

Try harder? Keep them with you so they can't get them back.
I have changed the password on the iPad and now supervise use and keep the devices in my bedroom at night - taking them off my child at 8pm before bedtime.
I go bed 12 or 3 to 4 I'm 15
Only two options is to take their things off them or have a wifi timer but it will disconnect you from wifi
ipswich78

Try harder? Keep them with you so they can't get them back.

We got punished for doing things we shouldn't.
rev6

We got punished for doing things we shouldn't.

strict rules for when and how long they can use them. Then a consequence put in place for if these rules get broken. A tablet, phone etc is a a a privilege not a right! why penalise yourself yo teach your children some rules!
Many routers have the ability to control access to the internet. The BT Homehub 5 has it and we use it to turn off access to all the kids devices at 10:30pm, works v well and is simple to set up on the HH5.
what devices do they have? as long as they are not IOS devices you could install Norton Family, you can then use that to limit access per day to certain times, I think there is a charge for certain aspects of NF though and not sure what you get for the free version.
Boy 13 and girl 11.
No computer screens after 8pm.
Bed 2100 and 2200.
It works.
Try harder.
nemesiz

Isn't 4am excessive for a Twelve year old to stay up, even 10.30pm on … Isn't 4am excessive for a Twelve year old to stay up, even 10.30pm on School Days? Maybe I'm old fashioned, but a child needs a good restful nights sleep, especially if it affects their work and attitude. Also how can you possibly know their internet activity if you're asleep, including Netflix!? It is not a basic right to have internet.As rev6 said sleep with the router, password protect the modem/router (daily rigmarole of doing that:( ) or otherwise use parental settings on each device, operating system, or dedicated software to reduce their usage (rev6 would probably know how). Otherwise use a search engine for a tuition. we take electronic off kids at 9pm school nights but Internet doesn't go off till 10.30pm due to having a 21 year old girl still living with us. our 12 years old basically thinks that he is at school 6 days a week and that on Saturday nights he should be able to play games on laptop/tablets. part of me can see his point as his grades are good at school but part of me wants him to get good night sleep like you have pointed out.

why do you need timers to stop the wifi? just unplug the box. Also, even if you switch off the wifi they can still stay up til stupid o clock playing games that don't need any connection. Your only solution is to take all devices off your kids at least an hour before bed. Seems it is you that needs to be more firm about it. You hide them, they find them. Why dont you just have them with you? Try a lockable box and wear the key round your neck!
bt hub 5 brilliant petental controls until my son (15) switches off power to it and then back on again and hey presto all the passwords for the timer locks revert to manufacturer's settings. good luck finding a solution
pimmzy

tried.always find them.

Then you need to pull your finger out then.
"Tried pulling out plugs and sockets but to no avail." How is this possible?
Unplug router and hide it Simples !

Edited by: "fpine21" 13th May 2015
U can get a WiFi jammer. Plug it into a timer plug and it will come on automatically and yours kids won't pick up on it.
Easy solution: Remove the power lead from the router.
Medium solution: Get a new router and configure it to auto disable the network or set devices between x times.
Harder solution: Turn their rooms into Faraday cages.
Edited by: "joedastudd" 13th May 2015
Try harder is the only answer. Shouldn't really be relying on internet companies to stop your kids. If you're in this position anyway, it's likely they will be able to circumvent whichever blocks etc. are placed on it. It's the punishment which will be the deterrent.
How old are the kids. For younger kids why not put passwords on the devices and not tell them what it is so if they want to use they will have to ask you to unlock.
Sell the laptops/tablets if they dont learn.
Seriously you can't just take them away at bedtime? ?

Put them in your bedroom and tell your kids they are not allowed in that room as its your private space. My kids wouldn't dare touch something that I'd taken from them as what I say goes. Simple as that.
When I was a kid we had two lumps of coal to play with...lock 'em in the cellar and let them be grateful!
Which Sky router do you have?

When we had Sky broadband, there were a lot of limitations, but using the MAC address filtering and disabling internet for those devices at X time on X days worked very well - no getting round it unless the kids know how to spoof a MAC address. Knowing how is unlikely, but can easily be found with some Googling, but if they don't know that is how the block is implemented, they probably won't think to even try, let alone know what it is (given the shambolic state of Computer studies in our schools).
turn it off and that's it.
or in your router if it's a decent one u can state the times at which certain devices can access the WiFi.
turn it off and that's it.
or in your router if it's a decent one u can state the times at which certain devices can access the WiFi.
Just change the password on the router?

Or grow a pair, and tell them no.
I tell my kids to turn them off, if they were stupid enough to go against us they would lose their computers for a month pretty rapidly. I can see if anyone logs on late on the router logs. They just don't. We have boundaries.
There are many ways. Like people have suggested your router might have built in capabilities, even some av do the job, or 3rd party software surfblocker.com is one example
Try lavender & chamomile infused ethernet cables.
bt hub u can disable certain thing at ceriun times
Turn off all power in the house (_;)
Turn off all power to the entire world
Try this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Billion-8800AXL-Wireless-failover-Gigabit/dp/B00PJVM3OQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433512921&sr=8-1&keywords=billion+ac+router

Has timer settings for WIFI and QoS.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants