Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide aged 41.

Editor 114
Found 20th Jul 2017
Sad news (via TMZ)

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/chester-bennington-of-linkin-park-attends-the-hand-induction-ceremony-picture-id450845802?s=612x612

Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

Chester was very close with Chris Cornell, who himself committed suicide by hanging in May.

Today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday. Chester wrote an open letter to Chris on the day of Chris' suicide.

The band has had a string of hits over the years, including "Faint," "In the End" and "Crawling." Linkin Park crossed music genres, collaborating with Jay-Z.

Bennington was 41.

RIP

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Please go argue over pm, no one wants to read that crap.

Rip Chester, one of the first celebrity deaths to hit hard.

Error440

Damn i liked linkin park but he he was clearly a man who failed himself, … Damn i liked linkin park but he he was clearly a man who failed himself, another victim of depression.And if you don't know what i mean by that read "I don't want to talk about it" by Terrence Real.Two wives and kids, running from the inner self, taking drugs to cover the past rather then come to terms with it.

You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, right?

Error440

I and my former councilor believe my ex has clinical depression, the … I and my former councilor believe my ex has clinical depression, the social worker thinks he has boarderline personality disorder. I have had one bout of CBT, a long time in counciling, and am now awaiting more help to help me deal with the trauma of his psychological abuse. Our child has had a small amount of counciling and will be having play therapy later this year. My ex is still in denial running from himself unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything or get help.Mr Bennington showed all the red flags but failed to help himself, no one else will help and suicide isthe biggest killer of men under 40 because they run from themselves and try to hide feelings to their own detriment. Society aids them by holding in high esteem the very traits that are a sign of a damaged ego.

Once again you've tried to make something about you and your sob story.

A poor man died and you've decided to hijack people's grief for attention. Just give it a break.

Editor

I've never really had a liking to rock or metal music, but Linkin Park were an exception to that when they released Hybrid Theory in 2000. Such a great album that had me going on to love the band for years. Such a sad, sad thing to hear. A truly talented man in my opinion and a great loss to the music industry.

RIP Chester
114 Comments

So so terribly sad. Such a talented man!

SuperEd

RIP Chester

Editor

I've never really had a liking to rock or metal music, but Linkin Park were an exception to that when they released Hybrid Theory in 2000. Such a great album that had me going on to love the band for years. Such a sad, sad thing to hear. A truly talented man in my opinion and a great loss to the music industry.

RIP Chester

Damn i liked linkin park but he he was clearly a man who failed himself, another victim of depression.

And if you don't know what i mean by that read "I don't want to talk about it" by Terrence Real.

Two wives and kids, running from the inner self, taking drugs to cover the past rather then come to terms with it.

Awful. He must have been dealing with some terrible stuff. Poor guy. That numb/encore collab with JayZ is beautiful. Love that track.

youtube.com/wat…PbU

Rest well Chester.

Error440

Damn i liked linkin park but he he was clearly a man who failed himself, … Damn i liked linkin park but he he was clearly a man who failed himself, another victim of depression.And if you don't know what i mean by that read "I don't want to talk about it" by Terrence Real.Two wives and kids, running from the inner self, taking drugs to cover the past rather then come to terms with it.

You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, right?

Childhood sexual abuse can take a lifetime to recover from and many don't realise the support out there to make daily life less painful. Even then it isn't easy or guarennteed to recover from.

RIP

Just had to double take this! This is some of the saddest news i have read in a while. i loved this man growing up and linkin park was a big part of my childhood. Such talent .... RIP Chester.......

Error440

Right. Put the book down and try it for yourself, see how you get on. And if you're going to get smart and say 'You've been there' then quote from you're own experiences, not someone else that authored theirs.

Vanderlust9 m ago

You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, …You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, right?

Well said.

Vanderlust

You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, … You have of course dealt personally with child abuse to talk like that, right?

I and my former councilor believe my ex has clinical depression, the social worker thinks he has boarderline personality disorder. I have had one bout of CBT, a long time in counciling, and am now awaiting more help to help me deal with the trauma of his psychological abuse. Our child has had a small amount of counciling and will be having play therapy later this year. My ex is still in denial running from himself unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything or get help.

Mr Bennington showed all the red flags but failed to help himself, no one else will help and suicide isthe biggest killer of men under 40 because they run from themselves and try to hide feelings to their own detriment. Society aids them by holding in high esteem the very traits that are a sign of a damaged ego.

Error440

I and my former councilor believe my ex has clinical depression, the … I and my former councilor believe my ex has clinical depression, the social worker thinks he has boarderline personality disorder. I have had one bout of CBT, a long time in counciling, and am now awaiting more help to help me deal with the trauma of his psychological abuse. Our child has had a small amount of counciling and will be having play therapy later this year. My ex is still in denial running from himself unwilling to accept any responsibility for anything or get help.Mr Bennington showed all the red flags but failed to help himself, no one else will help and suicide isthe biggest killer of men under 40 because they run from themselves and try to hide feelings to their own detriment. Society aids them by holding in high esteem the very traits that are a sign of a damaged ego.

A long of way of saying no, you haven't dealt personally with child abuse.

Just heard the news and I can't believe it Rest in Peace Chester
My fav track youtube.com/wat…lmm

RIP. Will be missed.

Error440

Society is the problem, not those that hide their feelings.

There's still a real stigma attached to mental health disorders, especially so in men, where many consider it a weakness to discuss it. They hole themselves up and don't talk because they don't know who to talk to or where to even begin.

It starts off slowly, just little niggling thoughts and doubts, which turn to a lack of self belief, sparking paranoia and soon distrust, not just in those around them but themselves too. Before long the suicidal thoughts creep in, and having distanced themselves from everyone, there is nowhere to turn.

They're already thinking highly illogically, and when you're in that frame of mind - a frame where you've completely lost control of your own mind - anything is possible.

You can't ever blame anyone for taking their own life - they have no control, they see no other option. They believe that what they're doing is not just the best for them, but the best for those around them too.

Vanderlust

A long of way of saying no, you haven't dealt personally with child abuse.

You simplistic view is a detriment, i know not fully what my ex went through as a child, only that he tried to bottle it up in hopes it would vanish but instead he's falling apart and lashed out attacking and the abandoning his family. What i know for sure after 17 months of hell is that people have to face their demons to be able to overcome them, that running and hiding in work,in drugs, in new relationships doesn't fix the inner problems they slowly self destruct, that medication is there to create stability and allow therapy to be accepted rather then a cure.

Your well meaning hostility is part of the problem, you want to protect and feel sorry for the depressed, that doesn't work it doesn't help them.

So how many people with a mood disorder have you delt with?

Please go argue over pm, no one wants to read that crap.

Rip Chester, one of the first celebrity deaths to hit hard.

I do not not know who he is but this is so sad I hope he is now at piece and the demonstration no longer have dominion over him rip
Edited by: "miles136" 21st Jul 2017

miikeyblue

Society is the problem, not those that hide their feelings. There's still … Society is the problem, not those that hide their feelings. There's still a real stigma attached to mental health disorders, especially so in men, where many consider it a weakness to discuss it. They hole themselves up and don't talk because they don't know who to talk to or where to even begin. It starts off slowly, just little niggling thoughts and doubts, which turn to a lack of self belief, sparking paranoia and soon distrust, not just in those around them but themselves too. Before long the suicidal thoughts creep in, and having distanced themselves from everyone, there is nowhere to turn. They're already thinking highly illogically, and when you're in that frame of mind - a frame where you've completely lost control of your own mind - anything is possible.You can't ever blame anyone for taking their own life - they have no control, they see no other option. They believe that what they're doing is not just the best for them, but the best for those around them too.

Society holds aloft the red flags, lack of outward emotions, workaholism, screwing around, binge drinking, violence, its to be a man to suck it up and get on with things, never admit weakness, never cry etc.

Its pretty common for the mentally ill man to be successful, to be looked up to, because they throw themselves into work to try to ignore themselves and society praises them for working morning noon and night, going out drinking with a fake smile on. They don't realise they cry at night when alone and don't feel able to tell anyone, compare that to women how strange would it be for a woman to be a workaholic, living alone never really talking to anyone about themselves.

They still fail themselves because no one helps you can't help someone who won't help themselves, lead a horse to water but can't make it drink etc. If you contacted the police, the crisis team etc you'd realise that, because thats what they say.

How many more people die with people saying they were shocked because in reality no one pays any attention to the signs or cares really as long as they put a fake smile on thats good enough for the world to ignore mental health.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 20th Jul 2017

RIP

gutted is not the word

may you rest in peace Chester

all thoughts to his friends and families and especially his 6 children

Error440

Once again you've tried to make something about you and your sob story.

A poor man died and you've decided to hijack people's grief for attention. Just give it a break.

Error440

Typical response, reads like you need some inner reflection.

have you ever suffered from depression yourself

missismop

have you ever suffered from depression yourself

Yes actually, i was diagnosed with mild depression last year.

Error440

Yes actually, i was diagnosed with mild depression last year.

ok so maybe when and if you do suffer from depression where as you want to throw yourself under a bus on a daily basis that you can get on your soap box about others (no offence intended)

missismop

ok so maybe when and if you do suffer from depression where as you want … ok so maybe when and if you do suffer from depression where as you want to throw yourself under a bus on a daily basis that you can get on your soap box about others (no offence intended)

Saddest thing about people in that state, is that in that final moment they show such an amazing degree of courage. I can't imagine how hard it is to take that step, but to do so because you think it's the best thing for somebody else... so tragically brave.

missismop

ok so maybe when and if you do suffer from depression where as you want … ok so maybe when and if you do suffer from depression where as you want to throw yourself under a bus on a daily basis that you can get on your soap box about others (no offence intended)

Your the one on a soap box when you don't even know what your own point is

miikeyblue

Saddest thing about people in that state, is that in that final moment … Saddest thing about people in that state, is that in that final moment they show such an amazing degree of courage. I can't imagine how hard it is to take that step, but to do so because you think it's the best thing for somebody else... so tragically brave.

its about sleeping from everything, its not death its a rest.

You are thinking too much about it, its not oh I'm leaving everyone, its I'm getting out of everyone's way.

But as i said no one can help them but themselves, think of it this way if someone had a broken leg but kept beating the doctors off it with a stick saying no I'm fine, then you can't fix the leg. They need to accept treatment and treat themselves by being 100% honest with everyone including themselves and 100% aware of their negitive thoughts and fight against the self
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 20th Jul 2017

Terribly sad news, such a gifted singer.

RIP.

i know what my point is, for you to put this (( Mr Bennington showed all the red flags but failed to help himself)) is beyond belief if you actually suffer from depression ,as you should know it is very hard to get any sort of help when you are suffering from mild or to severe depression ,

That's crazy been loving their new album especially songs battle symphony and heavy I felt they were getting better again damn such a lose

missismop

i know what my point is, for you to put this (( Mr Bennington showed all … i know what my point is, for you to put this (( Mr Bennington showed all the red flags but failed to help himself)) is beyond belief if you actually suffer from depression ,as you should know it is very hard to get any sort of help when you are suffering from mild or to severe depression ,

No its not, doctors, IAPTs, mental health charities, theres at least in this country many places to go, the problem is people leave it until they are on the edge of collapse by which time a 3 month waiting time is too much, the biggest barrier to treatment is peoples fear of being labelled.

Error440

its about sleeping from everything, its not death its a rest.You are … its about sleeping from everything, its not death its a rest.You are thinking too much about it, its not oh I'm leaving everyone, its I'm getting out of everyone's way.But as i said no one can help them but themselves, think of it this way if someone had a broken leg but kept beating the doctors off it with a stick saying no I'm fine, then you can't fix the leg. They need to accept treatment and treat themselves by being 100% honest with everyone including themselves and 100% aware of their negitive thoughts and fight against the self

Far easier said than done. I've been there.

Error440

No its not, doctors, IAPTs, mental health charities, theres at least in … No its not, doctors, IAPTs, mental health charities, theres at least in this country many places to go, the problem is people leave it until they are on the edge of collapse by which time a 3 month waiting time is too much, the biggest barrier to treatment is peoples fear of being labelled.

wow you have made my point when you are suffering you dont know when you are on the edge of collapse
and if you are in that mind a being labeled is nothing

miikeyblue

Far easier said than done. I've been there.

Yeah well you have to, or you die, or live a self destructive half life.

im out

r,i,p Chester

may you find peace

missismop

wow you have made my point when you are suffering you dont know when you … wow you have made my point when you are suffering you dont know when you are on the edge of collapse and if you are in that mind a being labeled is nothing

Being labelled and the fear stops things getting treated people put it off until they can't cope then the waiting list is too long, but that doesn't mean the help isn't there, we just don't take people seriously or care until they cant struggle on anymore. We all brush things under the carpet and ignore it, if people have something like a lump they don't ignore it but thoughts and feelings are ignored.

Error440

Yeah well you have to, or you die, or live a self destructive half life.

But you're way too far down the path of self destruction to be able to make that choice - when you can't see that those around you care about you, when you think that your departure would make things better for everyone, the last thing on your mind is "oh, I'll go see a doctor and get some happy pills".

Looks like we're never going to agree here. I'm not going to share my experience publicly, but understand that I've been about as low as a person can go, I've been in the absolute depths of despair and I know all too well just how hard it is to find help, to open up, to even consider talking about it.

I'm not gonna argue this point any further.
Edited by: "BeerMeister" 20th Jul 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions