Groups

Linksys

Hi we have a linksys wireless network connection i bought my husband a new notebook it has vista, cant get it on to internet have tried everything i know any ideas. all other computers are windows xp and we have virgin broadband. Any help would be very welcome. Thanks

16 Comments

What security settings are you running on the router?

John

Original Poster

Don't think i have any my son set it up for me but is working in Denmark Message come up this is an unsecured cite or something like that

most likely security settings and wireless MAC filter??? do you know how to do look into this?

Original Poster

Sorry no idea

mmm007;2714804

Sorry no idea

do you have a pc working on your network at the moment?

if so, navigate to 192.168.1.1

it will hopefully prompt you for a user name and password

click on wireless

then security, and see what comes up

Original Poster

Oh My Help sorry dont know how to navigate to this

open up internet explorer and type in the following:

then follow the steps above - although, if you arent at all confident in doing this, i would highly recommend you get someone with some experience in doing this to help you (you might end up making it worse than it already is)

just type it in your web browser without www.

Original Poster

The server 192.168.1.1 at WRT54GS requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection). This is what came up does this mean i have a password ?

Original Poster

Think you may be right amansk don't know what i'm doing ,think will leave alone. Thanks to all for your help.

I think you are best leaving it, if you get the setting s wrong you can lock out all the computers from the router.

John

Original Poster

Thanks again everyone

mmm007;2715021

The server 192.168.1.1 at WRT54GS requires a username and … The server 192.168.1.1 at WRT54GS requires a username and password.Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection). This is what came up does this mean i have a password ?

yes, there are standard passwords but your son might have changed it. best to leave it then, sorry!

i have one of these. if you push the reset button for about 30 seconds it will reset the router and unlock the routers security setting. you will then be able to loginwithout requiring a username or password by pressing enter at the login stage. make sure however you set up a new security wep. do you not have the box/manual ?, the setup is truly very easy using the extremely easy to follow user guide.

Karim786;2715167

i have one of these. if you push the reset button for about 30 seconds … i have one of these. if you push the reset button for about 30 seconds it will reset the router and unlock the routers security setting. you will then be able to loginwithout requiring a username or password by pressing enter at the login stage. make sure however you set up a new security wep. do you not have the box/manual ?, the setup is truly very easy using the extremely easy to follow user guide.

That will also wipe the ADSL details which the person may not have to hand, for the sake of one laptop working wirelessly I don't think it's worth it.

John

Johnmcl7;2715180

That will also wipe the ADSL details which the person may not have to … That will also wipe the ADSL details which the person may not have to hand, for the sake of one laptop working wirelessly I don't think it's worth it.John

this router automatically links up with the modem so works immediately when reset but the security is not set up which isn't safe
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …1121
      2. word survey57
      3. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1518
      4. It was forty years ago today......617

See more discussions