Groups

Linux and Wireless Network!

Hi, I just installed Ubuntu Linux and i can't get my wireless network to work with it.
    I am using WEP encryption and i know its because of this, but i don't want to have no security.
    I don't know if this would work but if anybody knows what to do, please help me.
    http://mediakey.dk/~cc/howto-use-wep-encryption-with-ubuntu-linux/
    Thanks

13 Comments

what wireless card are you using?

Original Poster

guerilla;6706540

what wireless card are you using?

a dell one, lol

You haven't provided any useful information we can use to help you.

What is your wifi card/adapter? If usb, run "lsusb"
    Are there any wifi related messaged in "dmesg"?
    What do you see in network manager? Does it attempt to connect? Ask for passwords? just sit there spinning not establishing a connection or getting an ip address?

You should explain what you've done, tried and provide as much detail as you can.

Use WPA2.

Original Poster

pgregg;6706579

You haven't provided any useful information we can use to help you.What … You haven't provided any useful information we can use to help you.What is your wifi card/adapter? If usb, run "lsusb"Are there any wifi related messaged in "dmesg"?What do you see in network manager? Does it attempt to connect? Ask for passwords? just sit there spinning not establishing a connection or getting an ip address?You should explain what you've done, tried and provide as much detail as you can.

Sorry i am new to linux.
    anewman;6706624

Use WPA2.

Is it easier to connect to yeah?

Install ]madwifi.

ps. I wouldn't use WEP if I were u, it's way to easy to crack go for WPA2!

Original Poster

DVS_Dee;6706707

Install ]madwifi.ps. I wouldn't use WEP if I were u, it's way to easy to … Install ]madwifi.ps. I wouldn't use WEP if I were u, it's way to easy to crack go for WPA2!

what the hell is that?
    so if i just stick my modem security to wpa2 my laptop with linux will connect automatically?

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6707067

No it won't connect automatically, it won't with windows either.Anyway no … No it won't connect automatically, it won't with windows either.Anyway no point using WEP anyway, may aswell turn it off.

i dont mean automatically like, but i mean when i enter the password, anyway theres a new update for linux out tomorrow or thursday.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;6707253

Do you mean theres an update for ubunto? Not an update for linux.

yeah ubuntu :?

You may have to do a bit of research, last time I did anything with wireless on Gnu/Linux was a few years back and it was a *pig* to get going.

First tip, don't worry about encryption just yet - get the laptop talking, then start with WPA2. A good resource is something like the Gentoo Wiki * (different distribution of Linux, but it'll give you some ideas). Also it's not the make of card/dongle - it's the chipset (ralink are pretty good - this Edimax one I've does work under Linux).

]http//en…ing

If you could find out the model number of your wireless card, that'd help a great deal.

I can't offer any advice other than that but if you google "ubuntu and dell wi54564" (or whatever your wireless card is) - you'll probably get some info come up
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions