Groups

Linux as a Media Centre

Anyone had a good expierence of this? I'm just looking at linuxmce.com/ and wondering if anyone has had any dealings with it. I was given a c2d (2.0ghz) PC with no HDD and or graphics card, I've ripped a spare 200gb hdd from my main pc and also found an old agp 6200. I know I could install windows 7 on it but I want to stay legit and also fancy dabbling with linux a bit. It would be basically used for xvid/divx.
    Any help/suggestions appreciated.

6 Comments

Original Poster

linuxmce.com/ clicky, forgot to add it also has a digital/freeview tuner.

That looks good, I have been toying with the idea of using ]http//xb…rg/ to do the same thing, as you can try before installing it, but I might have a look at both of these and then choose one

Are you sure the board has an AGP slot for the graphics? I thought they had stopped before the C2D processors.

Original Poster

peodude;5613211

Are you sure the board has an AGP slot for the graphics? I thought they … Are you sure the board has an AGP slot for the graphics? I thought they had stopped before the C2D processors.

It has AGP and PCI-E, I only had a spare AGP card

Have a look at MythTV.. Its linux based and i've replaced Windows XP MCE with it on my proper Media Center PC..

It's awesome and customeisable in so many ways:

[url]www.mythtv.org[/url]

Oh.. and you can get a pre-configured ubuntu linux based version too: [url]www.mythbuntu.org[/url]

Have a look at the screenies here and youll wonder if you are looking at XP MCE. you can see its based on it: mythtv.org/wik…ots

It is better in everyway than XP MCE.

I've not tried linuxmce.. but from the screenshots on the front page i'd say I'm sticking with mythtv.

Original Poster

sambartle_theone;5616286

Have a look at MythTV.. Its linux based and i've replaced Windows XP MCE … Have a look at MythTV.. Its linux based and i've replaced Windows XP MCE with it on my proper Media Center PC.. It's awesome and customeisable in so many ways:]www.mythtv.orgOh.. and you can get a pre-configured ubuntu linux based version too: ]www.mythbuntu.orgHave a look at the screenies here and youll wonder if you are looking at XP MCE. you can see its based on it: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ScreenshotsIt is better in everyway than XP MCE. I've not tried linuxmce.. but from the screenshots on the front page i'd say I'm sticking with mythtv.

Will go for that, like the look of it. Repped!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4832311
      2. Are these two things distinctly different to you?36200
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764698
      4. TEKKEN goes mobile (iOS/Andorid)717

See more discussions