Groups

Linux / Ubuntu - how to see thumbnails?

Just a quickie for the Linux / Ubuntu experts out there

if i go into "places" I can see all my folders just fine including the windows 7 files on the other HDD partition but if I view a folder with say photos in it, there appears to be no option to see the files as thumbnails as in Windows.

Is this possible in Ubuntu? It seems like it must be as a quick google talks about turning thumbnails off but I cannot find anything about enabling thumbnails.

Any help greatly appreciated

EliTom

12 Comments

try using Galeon or Konqueror, or for photo cataloging and good photo managament - fspot or f-spot

which version are you using.. I'm using ubuntu 9.04 with all the updates to date and in the file browser there is a drop-down box on the right hand side that says:-

icon view (the one you need)
    list view
    compact view

Original Poster

ascen;6221051

try using Galeon or Konqueror, or for photo cataloging and good photo … try using Galeon or Konqueror, or for photo cataloging and good photo managament - fspot or f-spot

yes got f-spot but it cannot select a networked drive - only local folders

EliTom

Original Poster

paddy.stone;6221314

which version are you using.. I'm using ubuntu 9.04 with all the updates … which version are you using.. I'm using ubuntu 9.04 with all the updates to date and in the file browser there is a drop-down box on the right hand side that says:-icon view (the one you need)list viewcompact view

yes I have 9.04 and it does show those three options but even icon view only shows the same generic jpg icon, not a thumbnail of the actual photo.

any ideas why not?

ta

EliTom

Hmm strange... I don't remember changing anything in my version in preferences or anything.. so might just be a case of you not having a suitable program for the system to read the thumbnail from - if you get what I mean?

I have got installed:-

gimp
    fspot photo manager
    GQview

can't think of any others that would have enabled it to view thumbnails while in icon view.... it's been at least 3 months or so since I last re-installed ubuntu though.

[edit] this is what I see in file browser in icon view

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3840/screenshotpicturesfileb.png

The only other thing I can think of is to have a look in the file properties options.

Right click on an image file, select properties from the menu. Have a look at the "open with" tab to see what you have as default.. that may make a difference, not sure.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/3840/screenshotpicturesfileb.png

Original Poster

I get this

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj99/elitom/ubuntu.jpg

EliTom

OK, forget what I said above.. I think I've found the solution

open the file browser, go to EDIT and then down to [preferences]

Go to the [preview] tab, and select

show thumbnails [always]
    only for files smaller than [100MB] - you can set this to what you want really

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7611/screenshotfilemanagemen.png

Hope that gets it sorted for you

Original Poster

paddy.stone;6221719

OK, forget what I said above.. I think I've found the solutionopen the … OK, forget what I said above.. I think I've found the solutionopen the file browser, go to EDIT and then down to [preferences]Go to the [preview] tab, and select show thumbnails [always]only for files smaller than [100MB] - you can set this to what you want reallyHope that gets it sorted for you

Thats it !

cheers Paddy :thumbsup:

rep left !

EliTom

No worries, glad to help

cheers Paddy, i will use this too

No worries mate... I'd actually forgotten how to do this as I went through just about every [preferences] and admin page and changed stuff when I switched back to ubuntu a few months or so back, LOL
    So I had a good look through again to find this as I knew I must have enabled it at some point if others weren't getting the thumbnails as default.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…22
      3. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188

See more discussions