Found 3rd Oct 2009
i know where i can get it, source is finel

i want to put it on my ps3, i know i can install other os,

Q. if i put linux on my ps3, would i still have my original ps3 os and setting saves etc

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments

Yes you will you can change in the settings (default boot)

yes...

Original Poster Banned

Met-Cast;6468019

Yes you will you can change in the settings (default boot)

Jacob_Kreed;6468021

yes...

cool, :thumbsup: what is the name of the linux im looking for there are loads

Yellow dog

Im pretty sure you have to partition your hard drive so youll lose everything unless you back it up. seriously dont bother putting linux on it ts pretty much a waste of time

dj_urban;6468037

cool, :thumbsup: what is the name of the linux im looking for there are … cool, :thumbsup: what is the name of the linux im looking for there are loads

There's loads you can use, best to have a usb mouse and keyboard too and loads of hdd space.

Original Poster Banned

iNSOMANiAC;6468053

Yellow dog

;-)
iNSOMANiAC;6468061

Im pretty sure you have to partition your hard drive so youll lose … Im pretty sure you have to partition your hard drive so youll lose everything unless you back it up. seriously dont bother putting linux on it ts pretty much a waste of time

really, i backed it up recently took forever lol what is linux for im curious lol is my 40gb hdd good enough to use as oppose to my current 320gb?
what does linux allow you to actully do,?
Met-Cast;6468067

There's loads you can use, best to have a usb mouse and keyboard too and … There's loads you can use, best to have a usb mouse and keyboard too and loads of hdd space.

lol il use the ps3 keypad :-D

You must back up before you do this! When you choose install other OS you have to repartition your drive and you will lose everything (absolutely everything)

Unless you remove the hard disk and plug it into your PC and use a partitioning utility such as Partition Magic, or Partition Paragon, these can create the partition and leave your current data intact, so long as you have space to create a new partition in. Mostly when you do a job like this you would upgrade the hard disk to a bigger model anyway you could still copy the old data over to the new disk (using software such as Ghost or True Image), then create a new partition for linux in the space left over using your OS' disk utility.

BlueSmirnoff;6468489

Unless you remove the hard disk and plug it into your PC and use a … Unless you remove the hard disk and plug it into your PC and use a partitioning utility such as Partition Magic, or Partition Paragon, these can create the partition and leave your current data intact, so long as you have space to create a new partition in. Mostly when you do a job like this you would upgrade the hard disk to a bigger model anyway you could still copy the old data over to the new disk (using software such as Ghost or True Image), then create a new partition for linux in the space left over using your OS' disk utility.

AFAIK no PC utility can modify or even see the PS3 hypervisors partitons - remember this is not a true partition booting Linux OS but Linux running under the hypervisor. You may also have problems with the PS3 if the 10GB split is not used (PS3 dictates 10GB for Linux and the rest for PS3 or 10GB for PS3 and the rest for Linux - you cant choose the partition sizes beyond this)

I can recommend Yellow Dog FTW
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2485
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18216630
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769250
    4. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?11

See more discussions