Expired

Linx 7 Windows Tablet, can the micro USB port be used to transfer data?

Found 7th Nov 2014
A friend needs to know if the USB port on the Linx 7 Windows tablet can be used to connect to engine diagnostics. He uses software that will work perfectly on this tablet and needs to be able to connect this to a USB port.

I need to make sure the the micro USB on this tablet is for data and not just charging.

Anyone have one of these and can confirm you can send data over USB? Need to know asap as he is about to purchase.

Cheers.
Community Updates
AskTabletWindows
13 Comments
The tablet supports OTG, so yes.
Original Poster
Thanks mate, not clued up with mobile devices so needed the help.
NEtech

Thanks mate, not clued up with mobile devices so needed the help.

A bonus too, the tablet also comes with the OTG cable.
If you use a mains powered USB hub can it also charge at the same time as using usb mouse and keyboard?
Lanius are you using a usb powered hub. If yes can you confirm the make and model..
I haven't received my Linx yet but ill be trying it with my hub which is just a generic unbranded mains powered 3 port hub. I'll also have to get an OTG mini-to-micro cable to connect it to the Linx so it'll be a few more days before i know if it works or not. I cant say im expecting it to work anyway. Time to get a BT kb/touchpad.
There is a startup with a cable called +port (awful name for a web search) which is the supposed cable required. I am not convinced a powered will work as they are designed to power the output ports not the input. Good luck
atunley

There is a startup with a cable called +port (awful name for a web … There is a startup with a cable called +port (awful name for a web search) which is the supposed cable required. I am not convinced a powered will work as they are designed to power the output ports not the input. Good luck

Interesting product they have if it turns out there's no other way to do it.
Lanius

Interesting product they have if it turns out there's no other way to do … Interesting product they have if it turns out there's no other way to do it.

That's the way to do it defined in the standard, the generic name for it is an Accessory Charger Adapter (ACA) but for obvious reasons that name tends to get lost in the typical ebay/amazon search bait listings:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go#OTG_micro_plugs

The recently updated USB 3.1/USB Power Delivery may change things in future though as that's supposed to allow power to flow from client to host and be re-negotiated.
I bought a Linx & and have a generic 4 port powered USB hub. I can charge the tablet from it but I can't get any connected peripheral to work when used through the hub. Also, does't matter if I power down the hub and use it via the printer cable (so it's drawing the power off the tablet).

Bluetooth keyboard and mouse feels like the way to go but would be nice to use a hub as have non wireless printer etc. and keen to keep costs down and use existing tech. Any ideas?
You've definitely connected the tablet to the upstream port on the hub? It won't work if you connect it to one of the downstream ports.

The micro-usb supplies 5v Out, With the OTG cable supplied I use it to power Arduino projects, not much current required so it works fine. Of course this also shows the data on the port is bi-directional.
Yesterday used Powered Hub and the OTG cable provided with Linx 7 Tablet and managed to get Samsung portable DVD Rom to play and rip from Music disc and can also play DVDs. Also tried 500mb portable disk drive and had no issues with either. Powered hub just a generic one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions