Lionel Messi

Found 15th MarEdited by:"deleted1315437"
Anyone see what the little man did last night? Just on another level this guy is! As for Thibaut Courtous, overrated? Twice through the legs! If it was any other goalie we'd be saying s*** goalkeeper.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
kay19922 m ago

Oh fair enough. But he is still amazing! At the age of 30 he's still got …Oh fair enough. But he is still amazing! At the age of 30 he's still got it!

30 is no age. I'm 42 and have still got it.
191 Comments
Nothing amazes me with him thesedays. Quality player. With Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, best players ive seen play
deleted1315437
master104 m ago

Nothing amazes me with him thesedays. Quality player. With Ronaldinho and …Nothing amazes me with him thesedays. Quality player. With Ronaldinho and Ronaldo, best players ive seen play

How can you say that?! He single-handedly beat Chelsea yesterday.
kay19923 m ago

How can you say that?! He single-handedly beat Chelsea yesterday.

How can he say what? He's agreeing with you
deleted1315437
deeky3 m ago

Oh fair enough. But he is still amazing! At the age of 30 he's still got it!
kay19922 m ago

Oh fair enough. But he is still amazing! At the age of 30 he's still got …Oh fair enough. But he is still amazing! At the age of 30 he's still got it!

deeky7 m ago

I think it is taking some people time to adjust to the New World Order on here, and still default to expecting disagreement and 'beef'.

You may have 2 very special candidates to replace Messi and Ronaldo as the next elite generation in de Bruyne and Sane. Special.
Saturn1 m ago

I think it is taking some people time to adjust to the New World Order on …I think it is taking some people time to adjust to the New World Order on here, and still default to expecting disagreement and 'beef'.You may have 2 very special candidates to replace Messi and Ronaldo as the next elite generation in de Bruyne and Sane. Special.

I agree.

What a time to be a blue
deleted1315437
deeky2 m ago

Oh is that the time? *Quietly walks away*
deleted1315437
Saturn4 m ago

I think it is taking some people time to adjust to the New World Order on …I think it is taking some people time to adjust to the New World Order on here, and still default to expecting disagreement and 'beef'.You may have 2 very special candidates to replace Messi and Ronaldo as the next elite generation in de Bruyne and Sane. Special.

'Beef'? You want some? I'll give it ya!
deeky9 m ago

I agree.What a time to be a blue

What a time to be a football fan in the UK in general. The Premier League is attracting and developing some of the very best young talent now. Shame to see Coutinho go, but Hazard, Eriksen etc are exceptional. I am also a big fan of Willian, and thought he looked like a natural Barcelona-type player again last night. Despite a 3-0 defeat, I thought Chelsea were superb, and only ever a goal and a bit of luck away from getting back in the game with the away goal rule. In the end Messi was the difference as usual, but at least Chelsea went out in the right fashion - the polar opposite to how Man Utd went out the night before. I really like Man Utd as a club, but the performance and attitude against Seville was criminal.
deeky14 m ago

I thought you was about 102?.
Didn't watch the game, Assume Barca won it fairly this time?. Messi is almost as good as Ronaldo ;). It'll be a sad day when both retire. I don't think there are many who will reach the same consistent level as both Messi and Ronaldo.
.MUFC.6 m ago

It's a common misconception
deeky2 m ago

It's a common misconception

Genuinely younger than I assumed ;). Transpires you're less than 10 years older than me!.
.MUFC.51 s ago

Genuinely younger than I assumed ;). Transpires you're less than 10 years …Genuinely younger than I assumed ;). Transpires you're less than 10 years older than me!.

Really?
.MUFC.17 m ago

its a bit like 'cat years' but the other way
deeky is telling you his age in 'giant tortoise years' atm
deleted265520
Saturn37 m ago

KDB and Sane will never be on Messi or Ronaldo's level.
They are up there with the best but won't be the elite.

I don't think we will see a player at that level for a generation, however, the closest is probably going to be Neymar.
Edited by: "deleted265520" 15th Mar
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

KDB and Sane will never be on Messi or Ronaldo's level.They are up there …KDB and Sane will never be on Messi or Ronaldo's level.They are up there with the best but won't be the elite.I don't think we will see a player at that level for a generation, however, the closest is probably going to be Neymar.

Top player is Willian and underrated imo. Best player last night by far. Hazard was nowhere to be seen.
deeky29 m ago

Really?

I am staying very very quiet right now
deleted1315437
Saturn46 s ago

I know what you mean, but I'll try and explain. Messi and Ronaldo play in …I know what you mean, but I'll try and explain. Messi and Ronaldo play in teams that have been developed over many years to allow them to be the exceptional players that they are rightly judged to be. This has happened gradually as they have reached their peaks in their mid to late 20s, and now early 30s. Understandably the likes of de Bruyne, Sane, Hazard, Coutinho etc have not had that luxury .... yet. When they do, I think they have enough talent and athleticism to reach who knows what level. Not a slight at La Liga, but it is a league that can produce statistics for individual players that could just not happen in other leagues. Being the star player for Barcelona and Real Madrid offers an opportunity that cannot be replicated any other club. I am of course not proposing that the young players I mention will ever achieve the incredible goalscoring feats of Messi and Ronaldo, but the finest players of a generation can, and should, be judged on a number of aspects, not purely goals scored. Hope that explains my view a little better.Take Sane for example - compare him with Ronaldo while at Man Utd. Hard to say that he couldn't achieve the same level in 10 years.

*Cough* Gareth Bale
DT8915th Mar

KDB and Sane will never be on Messi or Ronaldo's level.They are up there …KDB and Sane will never be on Messi or Ronaldo's level.They are up there with the best but won't be the elite.I don't think we will see a player at that level for a generation, however, the closest is probably going to be Neymar.

I know what you mean, but I'll try and explain. Messi and Ronaldo play in teams that have been developed over many years to allow them to be the exceptional players that they are rightly judged to be. This has happened gradually as they have reached their peaks in their mid to late 20s, and now early 30s. Understandably the likes of de Bruyne, Sane, Hazard, Coutinho etc have not had that luxury .... yet. When they do, I think they have enough talent and athleticism to reach who knows what level. Not a slight at La Liga, but it is a league that can produce statistics for individual players that could just not happen in other leagues. Being the star player for Barcelona and Real Madrid offers an opportunity that cannot be replicated any other club. I am of course not proposing that the young players I mention will ever achieve the incredible goalscoring feats of Messi and Ronaldo, but the finest players of a generation can, and should, be judged on a number of aspects, not purely goals scored. Hope that explains my view a little better.

Take Sane for example - compare him with Ronaldo while at Man Utd. Hard to say that he couldn't achieve the same level in 10 years.
deleted265520
kay199216 m ago

Top player is Willian and underrated imo. Best player last night by far. …Top player is Willian and underrated imo. Best player last night by far. Hazard was nowhere to be seen.

Willian cannot be compared to KDB & Sane let alone Messi or Ronaldo.
WIllian is also 29. He's a good player but not in the very good player category let alone world class/elite category.
kay19924 m ago

*Cough* Gareth Bale

Gareth Bale is one of my favourite players. He may well have flourished even more at Real Madrid if less focus had been on Ronaldo.
deleted265520
Saturn7 m ago

I know what you mean, but I'll try and explain. Messi and Ronaldo play in …I know what you mean, but I'll try and explain. Messi and Ronaldo play in teams that have been developed over many years to allow them to be the exceptional players that they are rightly judged to be.

Wrong.

Ronaldo walked into the Madrid team at 2009 and immediately started tearing it up. In fact he was developed and became a world class player at United not Madrid. He won a Balon d'or at United as a midfielder. The Madrid team back then wasn't based around him nor has it ever been. In fact he's adapted his style of play numerous time to account for both his age and other team mates.

Messi made his Barca debut in 2009 and was almost instantly world class after a season or so. True he came up through the youth ranks but it's been more down to his unreal talent than being bedded in and given time.

None of those players in your list will ever come close to those two. How many years now has it been that Hazard is meant to be the next big thing? Countinho won't even come close to Iniesta's career let alone Messi's.

Sane is perhaps one of the most promising and I expect him to have a very good world cup. Doesn't mean he's even remotely close to Messi at 21.
33445574-pz0fH.jpg
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

Willian cannot be compared to KDB & Sane let alone Messi or …Willian cannot be compared to KDB & Sane let alone Messi or Ronaldo.WIllian is also 29. He's a good player but not in the very good player category let alone world class/elite category.

KDB and Sane also cannot be compared to Messi or Ronaldo too then? That's just plain wrong. As for Willian I am calling him world class. But will agree he is not elite level.
deleted265520
kay19923 m ago

KDB and Sane also cannot be compared to Messi or Ronaldo too then? That's …KDB and Sane also cannot be compared to Messi or Ronaldo too then? That's just plain wrong. As for Willian I am calling him world class. But will agree he is not elite level.

I've already said that - KDB and Sane will never be on their level. Not at 20 or 25 or 30.

Also, Willian is far from world class. He's not even the best player at Chelsea. A handful of good performances this season are influencing your view on him.
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

Wrong.Ronaldo walked into the Madrid team at 2009 and immediately started …Wrong.Ronaldo walked into the Madrid team at 2009 and immediately started tearing it up. In fact he was developed and became a world class player at United not Madrid. He won a Balon d'or at United as a midfielder. The Madrid team back then wasn't based around him nor has it ever been. In fact he's adapted his style of play numerous time to account for both his age and other team mates.Messi made his Barca debut in 2009 and was almost instantly world class after a season or so. True he came up through the youth ranks but it's been more down to his unreal talent than being bedded in and given time.None of those players in your list will ever come close to those two. How many years now has it been that Hazard is meant to be the next big thing? Countinho won't even come close to Iniesta's career let alone Messi's.Sane is perhaps one of the most promising and I expect him to have a very good world cup. Doesn't mean he's even remotely close to Messi at 21.

Could Messi tear it up in another league? That will forever be a question mark above his head for me. Ronaldo? Done it already.
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

I've already said that.Willian is far from world class. He's not even the …I've already said that.Willian is far from world class. He's not even the best player at Chelsea. A handful of good performances this season are influencing your view on him.

You actually said they're not on the same level (elite) which is true. I'm saying they should not even be compared.
DT8915th Mar

Wrong.Ronaldo walked into the Madrid team at 2009 and immediately started …Wrong.Ronaldo walked into the Madrid team at 2009 and immediately started tearing it up. In fact he was developed and became a world class player at United not Madrid. He won a Balon d'or at United as a midfielder. The Madrid team back then wasn't based around him nor has it ever been. In fact he's adapted his style of play numerous time to account for both his age and other team mates.Messi made his Barca debut in 2009 and was almost instantly world class after a season or so. True he came up through the youth ranks but it's been more down to his unreal talent than being bedded in and given time.

You're missing my point. I am not in any way knocking Messi or Ronaldo. Who could - they are amazing players. What I am saying is that you cannot say that some of the UK-based players mentioned could never reach Ballon d'Or level when they have not yet had the same platform as Messi and Ronaldo, and also have a number of years of progress ahead of them. Maybe not looking through the prism of supporting one of the Premier League teams allows me a little more objectivity. You have no need to defend Ronaldo to me though, I think he is incredible at Real Madrid, as he was beforehand at Man Utd.
deleted265520
kay19922 m ago

Could Messi tear it up in another league? That will forever be a question …Could Messi tear it up in another league? That will forever be a question mark above his head for me. Ronaldo? Done it already.

Yes, he could.

But why would he? He has won Champions Leagues and League titles at Barca at a much more consistent rate than he could at one of the top 4 teams in the UK. If Messi came to Man City next season he may not get 60+ goals but he'd definitely get you 40.
deleted265520
Saturn4 m ago

You're missing my point. I am not in any way knocking Messi or Ronaldo. …You're missing my point. I am not in any way knocking Messi or Ronaldo. Who could - they are amazing players. What I am saying is that you cannot say that some of the UK-based players mentioned could never reach Ballon d'Or level when they have not yet had the same platform as Messi and Ronaldo, and also have a number of years of progress ahead of them. Maybe not looking through the prism of supporting one of the Premier League teams allows me a little more objectivity. You have no need to defend Ronaldo to me though, I think he is incredible at Real Madrid, as he was beforehand at Man Utd.

The players you refer to are a shade of Messi and Ronaldo in their early 20s. That's why I can say that they will never reach the same heights. Most elite players tend to become World Class mid-late 20s. Messi was already there at 20 and Ronaldo not long after being 22.
deleted265520
kay19922 m ago

You actually said they're not on the same level (elite) which is true. I'm …You actually said they're not on the same level (elite) which is true. I'm saying they should not even be compared.

Thank you for being a parrot and repeating what I've said.
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

Thank you for being a parrot and repeating what I've said.

Touchy much? You've compared them which is incorrect!
deleted265520
kay19928 m ago

Touchy much? You've compared them which is incorrect!

You're really confusing matters.
It's clear for all to see that I've said in response to Saturn that KDB & Sane cannot be compared to Messi & Ronaldo and are no way on their level (even when comparing them at the same age)

You've then started randomly harking on about Willian for some reason and I've said he's not even comparable to KDB & Sane let alone Messi or Ronaldo.

If you're going to start spouting rubbish like Willian is World Class then I'm done discussing with you. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter but I'm allowed to think it's ridiculous. Which it is. Hazard is by far Chelsea's best player and he's only ever had 1.5 good seasons in England and is overrated.
DT8915th Mar

The players you refer to are a shade of Messi and Ronaldo in their early …The players you refer to are a shade of Messi and Ronaldo in their early 20s. That's why I can say that they will never reach the same heights. Most elite players tend to become World Class mid-late 20s. Messi was already there at 20 and Ronaldo not long after being 22.

This is developing in a slightly silly way. To go back to my initial comment below, it was about the next generation of elite player, not comparing them to the current one. Not sure if it was the Man City element that triggered you, but I think they're valid suggestions for future Ballon d'Or winners. Messi and Ronaldo will be retired, so are irrelevant to any discussion about 2020 onwards.

Saturn15th Mar

You may have 2 very special candidates to replace Messi and Ronaldo as the …You may have 2 very special candidates to replace Messi and Ronaldo as the next elite generation in de Bruyne and Sane. Special.

deleted265520
Saturn4 m ago

This is developing in a slightly silly way. To go back to my initial …This is developing in a slightly silly way. To go back to my initial comment below, it was about the next generation of elite player, not comparing them to the current one. Not sure if it was the Man City element that triggered you, but I think they're valid suggestions for future Ballon d'Or winners. Messi and Ronaldo will be retired, so are irrelevant to any discussion about 2020 onwards.

I can see what you're saying now. I'd probably choose a different word than "replace" though.
No one is going to "replace" those two for decades.

If you're referring to a player stepping up and becoming the World's best player when those two retire/decline (if they ever do) then perhaps it could be Sane and/or De Bruyne. I'm not so sure - I'd be looking at more attacking players such as Neymar and Mbappe. You have to remember KDB is now a CM not a CAM. They get a lot less spotlight and recognition compared to forwards. Sane is currently a winger/forward/wing back hybrid but he's still relatively unproven and is only really having his first decent season. He has pontential but then so does another 20 or 30 players across the different European leagues.
DT8915th Mar

I can see what you're saying now. I'd probably choose a different word …I can see what you're saying now. I'd probably choose a different word than "replace" though.No one is going to "replace" those two for decades.If you're referring to a player stepping up and becoming the World's best player when those two retire/decline (if they ever do) then perhaps it could be Sane and/or De Bruyne. I'm not so sure - I'd be looking at more attacking players such as Neymar and Mbappe. You have to remember KDB is now a CM not a CAM. They get a lot less spotlight and recognition compared to forwards. Sane is currently a winger/forward/wing back hybrid but he's still relatively unproven and is only really having his first decent season. He has pontential but then so does another 20 or 30 players across the different European leagues.

At circa £150m each, Neymar and Mbappe are obvious, if I may say slightly lazy suggestions. Again, my initial point was about the quality of young talent being developed in the Premier League. Sane could well transition to a more central goalscoring role, just as Ronaldo did. De Bruyne is simply exceptional. His passing, athleticism, along with the power and accuracy of his shooting sets him apart, for me, currently in the Premier League. I don't think the Ballon d'Or should, ideally, just be an extension of the Golden Boot award.
deleted1315437
DT8915th Mar

You're really confusing matters.It's clear for all to see that I've said …You're really confusing matters.It's clear for all to see that I've said in response to Saturn that KDB & Sane cannot be compared to Messi & Ronaldo and are no way on their level (even when comparing them at the same age)You've then started randomly harking on about Willian for some reason and I've said he's not even comparable to KDB & Sane let alone Messi or Ronaldo.If you're going to start spouting rubbish like Willian is World Class then I'm done discussing with you. You are entitled to your opinion on the matter but I'm allowed to think it's ridiculous. Which it is. Hazard is by far Chelsea's best player and he's only ever had 1.5 good seasons in England and is overrated.

You should not even be saying things like "they're not on the same level" because they don't even play in the same position. Therefore should not be compared at all.

Sorry to burst your bubble. You're deluded if you think Hazard is Chelsea's best player at the moment. And I can throw in comments about Willian if I want if it broadens the discussion. But if you want to keep being one dimensional and can't even have a decent discussion then I'm done with you as well. There can be two parts to everything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants