Stores that reward you for donating / recycling unwanted clothes or empty packaging. Includes MAC, H&M, M&S & more

EDITOR 31
Posted 15th Jan
Whether it’s carrying a fabric tote, using reusable straws or recycling at home, we’re all becoming more conscious of the way our choices impact the environment with the waste we create.

Some High Street stores will reward you for recycling - giving you freebies, or discounts when you reuse or recycle your packaging, or even donate clothes.

I knew of a couple eg H&M, and MAC, but when I started to actively look for offers and discounts, I found a few more, which I have listed below.

Some incentives are better than others, but hopefully you will find these helpful

• H&M - Free £5 voucher for recycling your old clothes in store.

More Details here

www2.hm.com/en_gb/index.html

"The H&M Garment Collecting programme is a global initiative that works to prevent customers unwanted clothes from going to landfill.

We accept unwanted clothes by any brand, in any condition, at any of our stores, every single day of the year.

Simply hand in your bag of old clothes at the cash desk and receive a £5/€5 voucher to use towards your next purchase of £25/€25 (or more) in store or online. All clothes collected by H&M are either reused, reworn or recycled with 0% going to landfill."

3388791.jpg

• Intimissimi - Free £10 voucher for recycling unwanted clothes.

More Details here

intimissimi.com/uk/

"For every 5 items of clothing deposited, you will receive a voucher of £10.00 (valid on £50 spend). Exclusive to MY INTIMISSIMI card holders only. "

3388791.jpg

• John Lewis - Free voucher for £5 off beauty products

More Details here

johnlewis.com/

Beautycycle is a beauty recycling trial for my John Lewis members.

"Bring in five or more empty beauty products to your nearest John Lewis & Partners. Hand them over at any beauty counter when making your next beauty purchase. Show your my John Lewis card to enjoy £5 off*"

3388791.jpg

• Kiehl's - Free travel-sized product

More Details here

kiehls.co.uk/

"Return your empty Kiehl's product packaging or shop with your reusable bag for 1 stamp on your loyalty card! 10 stamps = 1 complimentary Kiehl's travel size product. "

3388791.jpg

• L'Occitane - 10% Off your order

More Details here

uk.loccitane.com/

"Take your empty beauty and skin care products from L'Occitane or ANY Beauty Brand to be recycled at your local L'Occitane store to receive 10% OFF a new full price product*"

3388791.jpg

• LUSH - Free LUSH fresh face mask

More Details here

uk.lush.com/

Lush are a 100% vegetarian, cruelty free beauty and skincare company

In a bid to help us Reduce, Re-Use and Recycle, they are offering a free fresh face mask when you trade in five of their black, recyclable pots in store.

"Returning your clean black pots in this way will contribute to our in-house closed loop recycling scheme, meaning we can melt down and reformulate these black pots again and again. You'll get a fresh face mask for your troubles - and we'll get another chance to reduce plastic landfill waste. "

3388791.jpg

• MAC - Free Full Size MAC Lipstick - worth approx £17.50

More Details here

maccosmetics.co.uk/

If you're a fan of MAC makeup then you'll love their 'Back to MAC' offer which is definitely one of the more generous perks!

“Because we share your commitment to the environment, M·A·C accepts returns of its primary packaging through the Back To M·A·C Program. By returning six (6) M·A·C primary packaging containers to a M·A·C counter, you will receive a free M·A·C lipstick of your choice as a thank you.

Since 100% of the selling price of VIVA GLAM Lipsticks and Lipglass is provided to organizations that help people living with HIV/AIDS, these are excluded from this program."

3388791.jpg

• Marks & Spencer - Donate an item of M&S branded clothing or soft furnishings to Oxfam, and get a voucher for £5 off when you spend £35.

More Details here

marksandspencer.com

"You'll be given a £5 voucher for every donation you make to an Oxfam store which contains at least one item of M&S-labelled clothing, including shoes, handbags, belts, hats and scarves."

Does include donations of M&S bras, but does not include donations of swimwear, underwear, socks or damaged or soiled items."

3388791.jpg

Monsoon - Recycle your old Monsoon Clothes & Get a £10 Monsoon Voucher + Proceeds go to Charity

More Details here

uk.monsoon.co.uk/

Clothes For Life Scheme - Bring in your selected Monsoon Clothing into any Monsoon store and you will receive an exclusive £10 off voucher to spend on new purchases of £50 and more.

Your clothes will be donated to charity to be sold or recycled, with all profits going towards Newlife, a charity dedicated to changing the lives of disabled and terminally ill children across the UK

3388791.jpg

• New Look - Donate to Hospice UK and get a 20% off New Look voucher.

More Details here

newlook.com/uk

"We are partnering with Hospice UK and their members, to inspire people to donate their pre-loved clothes, so that they don't end up in a landfill. As a way of saying thanks, you’ll receive a 20% off New Look voucher."

3388791.jpg

• The Perfume Shop - Recycle your perfume bottle and get 10% off your next perfume purchase

More Details here

theperfumeshop.com/

"Ever thought of recycling your fragrance bottle? Well, if you bring your empty bottle into a The Perfume Shop store near you, you'll get 10% off when you buy your next scent in store on the same day"

3388791.jpg

If you know of any more options that I have missed, please do share them!

You may also be interested in:

Community Updates
Megathread

Groups

Top comments
i always bring my old clothes to h&m. the min spending for monsoon and m&s are too high for me
31 Comments
Some few good stores
i always bring my old clothes to h&m. the min spending for monsoon and m&s are too high for me
Love this thread, thank you!
Good info, never knew such provisions existed. Thank you @millarcat
Brilliant post @millarcat well done!! This should hopefully encourage more people to recycle/donate and care for the environment. It's something we all need to do
I have got loads(2 bin bags full) of my lads school uniforms -they changed the badge AAAAAH - I want to recycle BUT -i dont want them to be chopped up for rags??
Advice required
shotatdawn16/01/2020 18:15

I have got loads(2 bin bags full) of my lads school uniforms -they changed …I have got loads(2 bin bags full) of my lads school uniforms -they changed the badge AAAAAH - I want to recycle BUT -i dont want them to be chopped up for rags??Advice required

Local to me they have a swap shop that collect clothes mainly for school children i.e shoes, coats and old uniforms. Check your local facebook page and see if you have similar in you area
fully116/01/2020 18:20

Local to me they have a swap shop that collect clothes mainly for school …Local to me they have a swap shop that collect clothes mainly for school children i.e shoes, coats and old uniforms. Check your local facebook page and see if you have similar in you area

I'm not on facebook/Twitter etc as I work in said school
39692909-Ccdxf.jpg
Hand in your old tat and we will give you new tat for free!

I have got loads(2 bin bags full) of my lads school uniforms -they changed …I have got loads(2 bin bags full) of my lads school uniforms -they changed the badge AAAAAH - I want to recycle BUT -i dont want them to be chopped up for rags??Advice required

It should be illegal to change uniform every year or every other year. I had same (design) for my entire time at high school yet my siblings had had multiple changes already and they’re not even done yet
Edited by: "xPabloz" 16th Jan
I gave away at least 20 bags of clothes and 3/4 bag of various footwear few months ago but it was in those large charity container things. Not sure where they end up though. This might be better option

They changed the badge, would it be a see on 1 ?
Anything similar for electronics? I’ve got a dodgy printer sitting at home.
Thanks OP , well impressed, Never knew about any of this!
command16/01/2020 21:10

Anything similar for electronics? I’ve got a dodgy printer sitting at home.

Currys will take your old electrical items and recycle, even if you didn't buy them there. No money off though.
Edited by: "scarman" 16th Jan
alzheimers.org.uk/get…ing
Here's a lovely one too. Recycle unused jewellery and costume jewellery via Freepost. I've used this a few times after clearing out my kids vast collection of clip on earrings, rings, beads and bracelets. Details and address in the link.
Having skimmed the stores and offers. My cynicism kicked in. While recycling is important, some of these schemes are designed purely as marketing gimmicks to get you spending.
Recycling olds clothes - stops you selling on any good ones your self or donating to a high street charity shop.
Old makeup - oh nearly done, here have some money off our other over priced offerings.
Old bottles - we’ll probably melt them down like all recycling anyway. However we’ll stop you shopping elsewhere won’t we.

If these stores want to help. They should limit their waste production before it even needs recycled. Less fancy packaging, slow down fashion cycles, stop marketing marginally different multiple products.
Does anyone know if at H&M, if I bring in say 10 bags, do I get 10 vouchers? or still just 1? Also can you use more than 1 voucher at the same time or is it only 1 per transaction?
Thanks for all the lovely comments - glad this was helpful
How do I get the link for this link? I’m using the app
What about recycling furniture & getting a discount?

Trade in your old bedframe or mattress and get up to £150 off your new one:

silentnight.co.uk/tra…ion
Careful you don't give a bag of good stuff away. Few pics of it worn to show it's good quality and can get a lot on Sphock or Ebay.
Wife has sold stuff in the past and not lost much if anything.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants