Posted 17 June 2020

List of suspended merchants?

Is there a public list of suspended merchants or function for this to flag up as you're posting a deal to save wasting posters and mods time?

The FAQ linked in the notification you get when a deal is deleted doesn't give a list or way of finding out which sellers are suspended and why, or much transparency over how this is decided or how often this is reviewed etc. This makes it feel quite arbitrary.

It's frustrating to have a post deleted (took me four edits to add all the info!!) without understanding why, beyond a "computer says no" response 😞
Community Updates
New Comment

33 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Roger_Irrelevant17/06/2020 21:24

Anyone that pays click throughs.

That is simply not true. It does get a bit tiresome repeating that every month for the last ten years but hey ho.

Regarding a list of banned merchants - if you try to post a url for a banned merchant you get the following message:-
    " Sorry, posting this deal is not possible right now Merchant is banned
    Please click on the link below for more details
    FAQ"
    As soon as the merchant is 'unbanned' you will no longer see the message and will be able to post for them.
    The problem arises when the seller is a 3rd party; say for example Amazon or ebay.
    Neither Amazon nor ebay are banned, but the third party seller could be, so when you post the link for a deal like that you wouldn't get the warning message (as above).
    We can't do anything about that I'm afraid and I see the one you posted fell into that category and I can only apologise.
    We don't have a list as the majority do get caught with the sytem picking up the url.
    Regarding being reviewed, it is a permanent and ongoing thing. It's reviewed daily, at the very least.
    The reason you get a message with little explanation is because we are not allowed to go into reasons for any specific merchant. However, I can say that it nearly always is due to self promotion, offering incentives or being an unsafe seller.
    [deleted]
    An old timer friend of mine been ordering from them so much and so he even got offered a £1000 gift card. He stayed loyal cause he likes their prices and everything is on point. I guess he has gotten lucky for that many years? In fact I dont mind the company either. Maybe a tad bit less suspicious then stormforge? Haha
    Just found this link as I was trying to post a deal for lyca mobile. Wonder why they were banned.
    Hi

They're currently suspended as a result of this thread - hotukdeals.com/com…880

So many users had a poor experience with that deal and we're asking them to make sure it doesn't happen again and that members will get their problems resolved.

We hope it won't be much longer.
    Just had a deal deleted for dealmania, no idea why. Is it just because of paid click throughs, whatever that means. Seems frustrating you can post a decent deal only for admin to delete it because they're a banned merchant. What constitutes a banned merchant?
    Author
    Roger_Irrelevant:

Is allowed?

I had a deal deleted that didn't have an affiliate link.

However, this was on response to a very similar but more expensive deal, that did have an affiliate link - I was told that deal is 'ok' and wouldn't be deleted (incidentally that was from a 'Deal Expert').

Both same 'intermediary' site, different third party vendors. (edited)
    This would be so helpful! Frustrating to have deals removed without anything other than a generic explanation
    Interesting that merchants get 3 warnings before action is taken and users get none.
    why are CPC farnell banned?
    I hope the companies that have been suspended. Are permanently banned. The obviously did so.ething wrong.
    Asda
    Superdrug
    rimalpatel00717/06/2020 21:12

AsdaSuperdrug

Asda have been back for a while now, Superdrug that’s still here as well.

op top comment on the link below, there are others as well like eglobal but they have said before no full list as it changes all of the time. Many are for self promotion or don’t meet the sites criteria.

hotukdeals.com/dis…947 (edited)
    deleted7595317/06/2020 21:29

Asda have been back for a while now, Superdrug that’s still here as w …Asda have been back for a while now, Superdrug that’s still here as well.op top comment on the link below, there are others as well like eglobal but they have said before no full list as it changes all of the time. Many are for self promotion or don’t meet the sites criteria.https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/what-do-we-consider-to-be-self-promotion-and-why-do-we-not-allow-it-3413947

Not true. Last week a deal for Asda was revoked
    rimalpatel00717/06/2020 21:48

Not true. Last week a deal for Asda was revoked

That was different Asda had been banned / suspended before the lockdown, the site reinstated them but Asda asked them not to be included as they didn’t think lockdown was a time to advertise deals. Looks like that changed on 10th June when the deals were started to be posted again. This is mentioned somewhere but oddly not on the Asda thread.

hotukdeals.com/dis…073 (edited)
    MLD918/06/2020 10:50

This would be so helpful! Frustrating to have deals removed without …This would be so helpful! Frustrating to have deals removed without anything other than a generic explanation

Same here as well. no one pays me for posting deals anyway so i just come here to take what i want. posted few deals here that wqsnt allowed and a day after, the same deal was on.
    Whys wiggle on the list?
    They were suspended last month due to repeated self promotion. They had 3 warnings and it continued so we had to suspend.
    It's a shame there isn't more transparency around which merchants are banned and why. Since there's no community oversight, couldn't a merchant just bribe the HUKD admin team to suspend their competitors? (edited)
    Interesting. There is a user named who has the official Monese logo.
    I wonder if they are a self-promoter?
    If they're anything like the real monese, they won't tell you, won't bother to read your reply and then not tell you all over again ..
    Any sign of screwfix being taken off the naughty list soon?
    Any idea why simply games are banned? Tried posting a deal and it wouldn't let me. Don't want to order from them if they're a dodgy company
    Just tried posting an Ecovacs deal that is on Amazon and extremely good but got the banned notification - wondering why those guys are banned (particularly when their main website isn't and just the Amazon seller?)
's avatar