Little advise on setting up my house for streaming

5 replies
Found 15th Jan 2011
Hi
Im wanting to setup my house to stream mainly videos (mkv') and mp3's
What im wanting is to be able to play the videos on my main tv in the room and also to play them into 3 bedroom tv's upstairs so the same file can be accessed through the house.
I was just going to buy a WD live and use it on the main tv,but i would ideally like to be able to have all our tv's to be able to access it.
I dont know a great deal about streaming but from what i understand i would need a central server like my laptop or a wireless NAS and also some kind of streamer at each tv to connect into the tv.
If this is so doe's it matter what file types the NAS supports or does it only matter on each streamer.
I cant afford to get everything for the whole house at once so what would you recommend i get first.
and also what products do you recommend ive not got the best budget but dont want the cheapest/worst either.
am i on the right track anyway with what im thinking
thanks for any advise

5 Comments

Banned

Yes you're on the right track.

use your laptop/pc as the central server if you wish but bear in mind it would have to be on if any of the three tvs wish to access content. the server can be used as a normal PC at the time. so you could be serving content to the tvs and using the pc to surf the net at the same time.

there are lots of things that can use the PC to stream content to the tvs:

other pcs/laptops, WD live, media extenders, some freeview boxes (mine does this but i also have a media pc that i'm using to write this on the tv), ps3s, xboxes with XBMC, some dvd/bluray players some tvs even have the capability to do this.

the cheapest option if you have nothing would be some old xboxes (the fat black ones not the 360s) that have xbmc and the pc/laptop you used the write the thread.

I personally would look at all the devices i own and see what i could use to achieve this.

ps. depending on your phone if it's android or and iphone you could even serve content off that. but that's just showing off now!
Edited by: "bykergrove" 15th Jan 2011

Original Poster

Thanks for that bykergrove
I do have a xbox 360 connected to my main tv an wired to nearby router
I've set that up to stream from my laptop which works ok but that won't do the mkv files I've tried tversity to be able to stream them but I only manage to get the video no sound lol,
and in my lads room he has a old xbox and a xbox 360 but there's no wireless on any but I have set up a ICS to the 360 from his pc in the room but it's a poor connection as it's shared
think i would prefer a standalone central server instead of using my laptop because that's not on all the time.
Sorry if this post looks a mess as laptops busy so I'm trying to type this on my iPod touch lol

consider getting them "20 quid ones you see on ebuyer etc and tailor the mkv encoding to them, most of the downloads will vary as the posters use diff types of encoding software so having a unit that plays all is tricky and too expensive to set up in every room
oh and homeplugs are very good for this to save on wifi bandwidth.
Edited by: "maddogb" 15th Jan 2011

Original Poster

cheers was thinking maybe something like that
which 20 quid ones were you meaning the sumvision cyclone ones? ,
if so do these cheaper ones connect to a network connection cant make that out on the description
thanks for info

stefromuk

cheers was thinking maybe something like thatwhich 20 quid ones were you … cheers was thinking maybe something like thatwhich 20 quid ones were you meaning the sumvision cyclone ones? ,if so do these cheaper ones connect to a network connection cant make that out on the descriptionthanks for info

nah don't think that one does, this does though
ebuyer.com/pro…811
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18216630
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769250
    3. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2484
    4. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?11

See more discussions