Live turtles used as keychains in China

Found 21st Mar 2013
The key chains are small plastic bags filled with vitamined water and oxygen enough to keep alive the animal 2-3 months , after that you throw it and get a new one.

Horrific really.
Community Updates
34 Comments
Appears to be true

snopes.com/cri…asp

Vile and disgusting.
Some Savage heartless people there. Humans barely have rights so animals definitely won't have any rights.
They'll probably eat them anyway.
One would only hope that at least some of the people buying them wouldn't keep them bagged; hopefuly cut them out and put them in a good tank or release them...
thats pretty heartless
eme1i

One would only hope that at least some of the people buying them wouldn't … One would only hope that at least some of the people buying them wouldn't keep them bagged; hopefuly cut them out and put them in a good tank or release them...

if u read the snopes link, then yeah some r doing that
Chinese can be horrid at times.
Life is good at the top of the food chain.
nice hope this will become as popular as the fish feet therapy setups.
The Chinese have a very bizarre (in the worst possible sense of the word) culture, they don't treat humans any better. It's a culture that seems to be void of empathy.
Poor turtle.
Their zodiac comprises of twelve different animals so you would think they would have some compassion.
Oh dear. Do people really think a turtle can live in a sealed plastic bag. oO

This story is rubbish.
Plum

Oh dear. Do people really think a turtle can live in a sealed plastic … Oh dear. Do people really think a turtle can live in a sealed plastic bag. oOThis story is rubbish.

Nope.

edition.cnn.com/201…tml
Mark2111

Their zodiac comprises of twelve different animals so you would think … Their zodiac comprises of twelve different animals so you would think they would have some compassion.

Maybe it's a game and the goal is to turn them all into ornaments. That's why you don'y see dragons anymore, except as ornaments oO
D_G

Nope.http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/14/china.animal.keyring/index.html

Have you read the link?

One vendor selling the animals outside of a Beijing subway station told CNN that the bag contained crystallized oxygen and nutrients.
She said that that the animals could live for days but also warned that they should be freed from the bag as soon as the air ran out or they would suffocate.
Edited by: "Plum" 21st Mar 2013
Plum

Have you read the link?

Yeah, why?
Plum

Have you read the link? :|One vendor selling the animals outside of a … Have you read the link? :|One vendor selling the animals outside of a Beijing subway station told CNN that the bag contained crystallized oxygen and nutrients.She said that that the animals could live for days but also warned that they should be freed from the bag as soon as the air ran out or they would suffocate.

Yeah, you said it couldn't live in a sealed bag, and yet just highlighted to me it can. Albeit for a few days. I know the OP said months, just highlighting the story isn't rubbish as you seemed to think.
D_G

Yeah, why?

One vendor selling the animals outside of a Beijing subway station told CNN that the bag contained crystallized oxygen and nutrients.
She said that that the animals could live for days but also warned that they should be freed from the bag as soon as the air ran out or they would suffocate.

This is not much different to our funfairs having gold fish hanging up in plastic bags.
Daytrader

Chinese can be horrid at times.

huh !?

http://www.lingscars.com/images/header/speech-bubble/ling-mad.gif
D_G

Yeah, you said it couldn't live in a sealed bag, and yet just highlighted … Yeah, you said it couldn't live in a sealed bag, and yet just highlighted to me it can. Albeit for a few days. I know the OP said months, just highlighting the story isn't rubbish as you seemed to think.

Given that the reporter was trying to big up the story and the vendor was probably trying to sell, I expect that even the days is hopeful and under the right conditions.

Surviving in a sealed environment until the oxygen runs out is not "living" . People are trying to make out that people are keeping these animals for months as a fashion item.

Stupid story only fed by Xenophobia
Im so mad at myself right now, but I want one
Ok the keyring looked better in my head. Just checked out the link and its awful.

Animal cruelty, outrage, somebody please think of the children et al
Adnan786

Im so mad at myself right now, but I want one

Get one of these instead

youtube.com/wat…A3Y
Edited by: "Mark2111" 21st Mar 2013
ewwaxo

huh !?

But why a picture of Michael Mcintyre?:p
I need something happy to cheer me up the YouTube video made me cry
Where can I get one?
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/medium/4dccf4b1b52e5.jpg

Apparently in Devon people are buying these as earrings. They wear them for the day then fry them up for their tea.
eme1i

I need something happy to cheer me up the YouTube video made me cry

People being nice to turtles

youtube.com/wat…rel
Mark2111

People being nice to … People being nice to turtleshttp://youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4lurZ6mjk&feature=fvwrel

What do you mean nice. They are just standing there laughing at their silly flipper walk.
In a weird sort if way, cruelty to amunals upsets me a lot more than when I hear it happening to humans

Does that make me strange?
jesus christ what is wrong with some people
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions