Living room too hot, rest of house too cold

Banned 20
Found 19th Nov 2011
The house thermostat is in the living room and the radiator is not meant to have a TVR so it doesn't. Messing with the flow will unbalance the system so what are we supposed to do?

We spend most of the time in the living room and it stays warm because of the TV and us warming it with our 'hot' bodies, but our daughter goes to bed at 7:30pm and the heating hasn't been on so it's a lot colder upstairs. 18C feels cold after coming out of our 21C living room.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

if there isnt an adjustable doohickey on the lounge radiator, you still should be able to adjust it via a dongle ma bob giving the other rads upstairs a chance to heat the rest of the house up

move the thermostat, turn the radiator off in living room... make sure system is balanced and maybe let her stay up past 7:30

Original Poster Banned

Thermostat is meant to be in the main living area?
System will be unbalanced if we turn that radiator off at the thingy m'bob

no dont turn the rad off, you should be able to limit the amount of hot water that enters it. Im not a plumber, but i had the same problem and a plumber adjusted it for me when he was here for something else

Original Poster Banned

splatsplatsplat

no dont turn the rad off, you should be able to limit the amount of hot … no dont turn the rad off, you should be able to limit the amount of hot water that enters it. Im not a plumber, but i had the same problem and a plumber adjusted it for me when he was here for something else

that's called balancing it, but all the radiators are balanced so they heat up the same amount, but the heating doesn't come on because it's already warm in the living room. If it does come on it's for 5-10 minutes the living room heats up to the required temperature but upstairs doesn't.
Edited by: "lumoruk" 19th Nov 2011

"Thermostat is meant to be in the main living area?"............ That's debatable
"System will be unbalanced if we turn that radiator off at the thingy m'bob".......... it's unbalanced now.

What I would do assuming you can't move the thermostat because it is wired. Make sure at least one of the tvr's is fully open and kept fully open. The cold bedroom would be ideal. Turn off the valve in the living room. OK, now the living room will be cool but elswhere will get warm. So trial and error slightly open the living room rad valve, just so there is a small flow through it. Put your ear to it, just a mall flow. You make adjustments to that rad over a period of time (days) till you get it right.

Original Poster Banned

interesting concept will give it a bash

As ellie says above, thermostat isn't meant to be in the main living area, should be in a hallway or something. + limit the flow into your living room radiators. how do you know that your system is balanced right now? if you live in a council house they will sort it for free.

the thermostat is just a jumped up, on/off switch. You still have the power of greyskull to turn the heating on/off, irrespective of how hot it is where the stat is. Im trying to convey the point that your lounge rad can be turned down, so it doesnt heat up the lounge so much when the rest of the rads are on too. Therefore by the time the lounge rad has heated up that room (now slower as its less powerful) the rest of the rads have had longer to heat up their rooms.

Original Poster Banned

lol cheers for assuming I live in a council house, but I don't. Radiators all heat up to the same temperature

Original Poster Banned

MiiCK

As ellie says above, thermostat isn't meant to be in the main living … As ellie says above, thermostat isn't meant to be in the main living area, should be in a hallway or something. + limit the flow into your living room radiators. how do you know that your system is balanced right now? if you live in a council house they will sort it for free.

despite the council house comment it is a small house with no hall way, the front door is the hall way to the stairs. Hence why the thermostat is not in that area or it would be on all the time.

If it's all too complicated (not a stab) then just open the window innit.

Lumoruk.... You do know why one rad is not to have a tvr on don't you !

Original Poster Banned

Ellie Phant

Lumoruk.... You do know why one rad is not to have a tvr on don't you !

something to do with the boiler blowing up (overheating)
Edited by: "lumoruk" 19th Nov 2011

Joey Bloggsy

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/fox2020plus/2nm2l5djpg.gif

X)
Edited by: "fox2020" 19th Nov 2011

Original Poster Banned

Joey Bloggsy

I didn't pay £129 to get wall insulation for nothing

lumoruk

I didn't pay £129 to get wall insulation for nothing

Get a plumber in to fix it , he may swap the tvr's or suggest an option ( assuming you don't get an easy option/answer here)

The boiler may have a bypass. Should the whole house get too warm then it is possible all the valves would shut down and there would be nowhere for the pumped water to go.
Unlikely but possible, so at least one rad has to have an unrestricted flow through it. If you shut off completely the room one then you must unrestrict another one. Possibly even take off the thermostat on the valve so it won't be accidently turned off.... should just screw off.

Good Luck.

When I got new heating put in my house I got the thermostat disabled and put TRV's on the radiators in every room. I now have every room the exact temperature I want. The heating engineer looked a bit confused when I told him what I wanted so may not be the norm, but works for me. BTW they are TRV ( thermostatic radiator valves) not TVR. (too pedantic ?)

i think we have a similar heating system to you, our thermostat is in the hall way , but as its a remote control handset for the heating it can be moved to any room, Ive noticed if ours drops below 23c the entire house feels cold, I had the company back out who fitted it and they reset it all or balanced but its stayed the same, on our radiators you can turn them up or down but not off,
We've out the thing in every room and it still heats up the same
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions