Local businesses not accepting old £20 note

Posted 8th Aug 2020
Has anyone else experienced this? Local grocery shop and a takeaway are not taking the old £20 note but happy to take the new one.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
My local shops won't accept them either.

(Mind you I am in France)
39 Comments
Automated tills in my local Morrisons have stopped accepting them
Brexit, Covid-19, imminent bankruptcy or indeed today’s date (08/08, see discussion thread in misc for more information).
Edited by: "PAISAL" 8th Aug
Still legal tender, need to be given 6 months notice from boe before they are no longer usable in a shop.
What about banks?
Complain should be allowed
My local shops won't accept them either.

(Mind you I am in France)
joyf453608/08/2020 15:15

My local shops won't accept them either.(Mind you I am in France)

Tant pis!
my husband found one in his jacket the other day and i had to take it into the bank as i didn't think the shops were going to be too keen to take it, considering they are not even keen to take the new notes.

the bank put it aside as they are all being destroyed I think. i did google to see if it was still legal tender and it said it was still legal tender, but shops don't have to accept your money at all, whether it be legal tender or not.

thisismoney.co.uk/mon…tml
Gollywood08/08/2020 15:05

What about banks?

Banks will still accept them. Like fearona said, they’re still legal tender anyway. It sounds like some shops may have gotten overexcited.

Banks will even accept notes that have actually expired. Depending on how much you have they’ll either just straight exchange at the counter, or if you have loads, they’ll probably make you pay it in to your own account. No value is lost. £20 is £20. It’s the note itself that expires, not the amount it represents.

Doesn’t matter if it’s a year old or 30 years old or more.
IamMT08/08/2020 15:27

Pardon? Mais, c'est merde.

my favourite french phrase is 'oh la la'. sounds great doesn't it? i remember when i stayed with my friend in france, this was often said
mutley108/08/2020 15:30

my favourite french phrase is 'oh la la'. sounds great doesn't it? i …my favourite french phrase is 'oh la la'. sounds great doesn't it? i remember when i stayed with my friend in france, this was often said

More 'oooh' than 'oh', I hope
mutley108/08/2020 15:30

my favourite french phrase is 'oh la la'. sounds great doesn't it? i …my favourite french phrase is 'oh la la'. sounds great doesn't it? i remember when i stayed with my friend in france, this was often said

A la recherche du temps perdu..
Do banks also accept old coins? Have a few £1/£2 I have found while cleaning!
The start of the six month withdrawal period hasn’t started yet , but many shops have stopped taking cash , so perhaps they decided the old paper ones were more germ ridden than the polymer ones . If you take them to your bank be aware that they are still being issued by banks if you take cash out via a cashier , if you really are desperate to change them early , best bet is to pay them into your account and then withdraw via an ATM as most of these are now issuing new notes .
Manny5008/08/2020 15:34

Do banks also accept old coins? Have a few £1/£2 I have found while c …Do banks also accept old coins? Have a few £1/£2 I have found while cleaning!

Absolutely. They’ll even accept pound notes.
Even the Post Office will.
PAISAL08/08/2020 15:39

Absolutely. They’ll even accept pound notes.Even the Post Office will.

They will £1 coins, I did this recently.
They wont old notes, they tell you to post them to the actual Bank Of England, tried this recently.
fattyflumpalump08/08/2020 15:42

They will £1 coins, I did this recently.They wont old notes, they tell you …They will £1 coins, I did this recently.They wont old notes, they tell you to post them to the actual Bank Of England, tried this recently.

How recently? I did this very recently, no problem. It wasn’t even with who I bank with.
PAISAL08/08/2020 15:55

How recently? I did this very recently, no problem. It wasn’t even with w …How recently? I did this very recently, no problem. It wasn’t even with who I bank with.

Just before lockdown for the notes, 2 old 5s and last week for the coins.
fattyflumpalump08/08/2020 16:30

Just before lockdown for the notes, 2 old 5s and last week for the coins.

Which Bank was it? They may have different policies at different banks. I’ve never had any issues exchanging old notes. Even pound notes like I mentioned.

To a bank, that shouldn’t even make a difference. They will assign the old notes for destruction, and if paying in, the money is still there electronically, and if just exchanging like for like value on the spot, they will again just add that amount to their total electronically.
PAISAL08/08/2020 16:33

Which Bank was it? They may have different policies at different banks. …Which Bank was it? They may have different policies at different banks. I’ve never had any issues exchanging old notes. Even pound notes like I mentioned.To a bank, that shouldn’t even make a difference. They will assign the old notes for destruction, and if paying in, the money is still there electronically, and if just exchanging like for like value on the spot, they will again just add that amount to their total electronically.

Tsb and my bank too
Take it to the bank. They’ll exchange it
Not sure on tesco, I have seen some in the till today though so I presume they still taking them for now.
Cbear8108/08/2020 16:48

Not sure on tesco, I have seen some in the till today though so I presume …Not sure on tesco, I have seen some in the till today though so I presume they still taking them for now.

What was you doing in Tesco’s till?
PAISAL08/08/2020 17:02

What was you doing in Tesco’s till?

I was trying to hide if I good haha fit in though.
PAISAL08/08/2020 16:42

And they didn’t even offer you the option of paying in?

No told me to post them to the Bank of England.
My mate said he would bank them with his business as its collected by g4s and then credited so the dont see what they are taking but it's only a tenner and didn't want to risk his banking being short.
fattyflumpalump08/08/2020 17:06

No told me to post them to the Bank of England. My mate said he would bank …No told me to post them to the Bank of England. My mate said he would bank them with his business as its collected by g4s and then credited so the dont see what they are taking but it's only a tenner and didn't want to risk his banking being short.

i am surprised to hear that. i have taken very old notes into my bank, some that has been withrawn and another set withdrawn after them! and they still take them in. i have only seen the bank tell this lady to take her £50 notes to the bank of england, but that was probably because she had a big wad of them.

my bank is natwest, and i have taken many old notes into there as i tend to find old notes in drawers that we had forgotten about.
tinkerbellian08/08/2020 15:34

The start of the six month withdrawal period hasn’t started yet , but m …The start of the six month withdrawal period hasn’t started yet , but many shops have stopped taking cash , so perhaps they decided the old paper ones were more germ ridden than the polymer ones . If you take them to your bank be aware that they are still being issued by banks if you take cash out via a cashier , if you really are desperate to change them early , best bet is to pay them into your account and then withdraw via an ATM as most of these are now issuing new notes .

when i took the £20 note into my bank recently, the cashier put it away on its own. i assume this was because they are not going to circulate it, so i am surprised to hear that the cashiers are still dishing them out.

i take money out of the ATM machines pretty much weekly and for a few months now, i haven't seen any old £20 notes dispensed from the diferent machines that I have used. i tend to withdraw £400 so most of the notes are £20.

it has been a while since i have seen the old £20 notes, even though they haven't yet been withdrawn from circulation.
Possibly due to covid I would imagine. The new notes can easily be sanitised and wiped whereas the old ones it's tougher.

(That's what I'm thinking anyhow)
I was in the bank the other day and asked about the old £20s as I was trying to deposit some and asked about shops taking them , they said they should still accept them no issue
fearona08/08/2020 14:57

Still legal tender, need to be given 6 months notice from boe before they …Still legal tender, need to be given 6 months notice from boe before they are no longer usable in a shop.

Legal Tender refers to payment of a debt, not a purchase - 2 different things
They are still legal tender.

bankofengland.co.uk/ban…ote

"We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20".

I still have plenty of them. Tesco still takes them.
gorgo201508/08/2020 20:01

They are still legal tender. …They are still legal tender. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/20-pound-note"We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20". I still have plenty of them. Tesco still takes them.

Legal Tender is different to being accepted for goods....although I agree that post says they will be able to be 'used' Legal Tender isn't referred to
gorgo201508/08/2020 20:01

They are still legal tender. …They are still legal tender. https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/20-pound-note"We’ll give you 6 months’ notice of the date you’ll no longer be able to use the paper £20". I still have plenty of them. Tesco still takes them.

i have made a point of putting all the old £20 notes into my bank. the big shops are probably still accepting them but the smaller ones, like the ones where the OP has been refused, may be refusing them because they are finding other people in the area are not accepting them so they can't easily use them, but have to take them into the bank. for a small retailer, they may be less inclined to do this, whereas a big retailer like tesco would be putting cash into the bank daily and so wouldn't be a problem for them i would guess.
Shops don't need to accept them. It's up to them what they take
Phlop008/08/2020 21:59

Shops don't need to accept them. It's up to them what they take

I better not mention about spending Scottish notes in England then 😄
Post a comment
@
    Text