Groups

Local Disk's (C:) and (D:)

Noticed this before on my netbooks "My Computer" part. Just wondering if this is two seperate hard drives. It's 160GB in total, well each has 71GB total size. The (D:) is empty at the moment.

Its a Samsung NC10 if it makes a difference.

If they are seperate, can I move all my Music and pictures to the (D:) and just use the other for college/university work? Just dont want to fill the C disk up with music which may make all the college stuff run slowly.

Cheers
    James

5 Comments

I guess it's a partition of a single drive.

D:\ could be a backup or recovery partition.

It will just be 1 drive split into 2 data sections on the drive called partitions.

Normally the 2nd drive is due to a recovery sector being seperate from windows in case your Windows section gets corrupted or a virus.

Banned

Sounds like one drive with a partition on it.

use one for programs and games and the other for files/docs/and photos/music ect.

Noticed this before on my netbooks "My Computer" part. Just wondering if … Noticed this before on my netbooks "My Computer" part. Just wondering if this is two seperate hard drives. It's 160GB in total, well each has 71GB total size. The (D:) is empty at the moment.Its a Samsung NC10 if it makes a difference. If they are seperate, can I move all my Music and pictures to the (D:) and just use the other for college/university work? Just dont want to fill the C disk up with music which may make all the college stuff run slowly.CheersJames

As others have said it's 1 HDD split into a possible 3 partitions C: and D: visible and the recovery partition will more than likely be hidden from windows (explorer)

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6663/23479874.th.png

Start / run compmgmt.msc
    then Disk Management
    will show you all hdd and partitions

support.microsoft.com/kb/…000

Save your college work on D: your photos on D: Important docs etc . That way if you ever need to recover C: you do not lose your work.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions