Locals Advice (Driving past Huntingdon and Cambridge to Stanstead Airport)

Found 17th Feb 2015
Sorry if this is a bit of an odd one.

Next week I am driving to stanstead airport (11:30 flight) and I will be setting off from york. The Sat Nav / Google maps wants to take me down the A1 then A14/M11 Going past Huntingdon and Cambridge. I have check the traffic the last couple of days on google maps and it looks horrible (Even at this time there are loads of red lines).

Does any one take these roads regularly and could offer any locals advice. Is it as bad as it looks, and if so would you maybe recommend staying on the A1 for a bit longer then cutting across East to get to the airport?

Many thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments
I live in the area and travel from Huntingdon (ish) into Cambridge daily, but I avoid the A14.

It is usually slow going from Huntingdon to Cambridge on the A14 when the traffic is flowing, but broken down trucks/accidents will slow you down further.

You could stay on the A1 and cut across on the A10 which would bring you out at the top of the M11 but past the A14 interchange or possibly cut across the A414 (I think) which would bring you out near the Stansted junction.

Sorry to say I think you're in for a bit of a wait, either on the roads or at the airport......
Original Poster
Hi thank you very much for your reply. Looks like a bit of a nightmare road!
Premier inn is only £30 at stansted airport atm
A14 at rush hour is no fun but then again if there's a traffic problem elsewhere on your alternative plan it's going to be even less fun as short of the M25 and then up the M11 (Do not even try it!) you only really have lots of single carriageway roads to pick from. As a result any minor incident ends up causing problems everywhere.

I'd either look at getting there early with plenty of time using the a14/m11, there's a reasonable selection of shops at the airport or stay at the Premier Inn at the airport from the night before.
No worries, it's not a great road!
Original Poster
tonyh78

Premier inn is only £30 at stansted airport atm

Thanks Just had a look and cheapest I can get for that night is £57
Original Poster
Astec123

A14 at rush hour is no fun but then again if there's a traffic problem … A14 at rush hour is no fun but then again if there's a traffic problem elsewhere on your alternative plan it's going to be even less fun as short of the M25 and then up the M11 (Do not even try it!) you only really have lots of single carriageway roads to pick from. As a result any minor incident ends up causing problems everywhere.I'd either look at getting there early with plenty of time using the a14/m11, there's a reasonable selection of shops at the airport or stay at the Premier Inn at the airport from the night before.

Thanks I think setting off early and at least having time to kill is better than leaving it too late. Looks like the best option may be to stick to the intended route and hope its not too bad.

thanks again all for the help
Do make sure that you are going from Stansted and not Stanstead.(_;)
What about the train?
Original Poster
Still have to mess around changing trains and I'm always worried my flight back will be delayed.

Ah yes deffo stensted I'm hoping to get to.

There is a holiday inn at the services for £50 which I guess isn't too bad might end up doing that. Thanks guys
Would advise against staying on the A1 south of St Neots as there are still roadworks at the Black Cat roundabout (where the A1 meets the A428 just South of St Neots). There are overnight (9pm - 6am) road closures which have overrun causing chaos in the mornings. The A428 St Neots - Cambridge road is stationary Eastbound by 8:00 normally so I think you either have to accept starting early and aiming to be there at say 08:30 or drive down the night before. If you are driving down on the morning then prebook the short stay car park as you can walk straight into the terminal from there.
Original Poster

Comment

astronaut63

Would advise against staying on the A1 south of St Neots as there are … Would advise against staying on the A1 south of St Neots as there are still roadworks at the Black Cat roundabout (where the A1 meets the A428 just South of St Neots). There are overnight (9pm - 6am) road closures which have overrun causing chaos in the mornings. The A428 St Neots - Cambridge road is stationary Eastbound by 8:00 normally so I think you either have to accept starting early and aiming to be there at say 08:30 or drive down the night before. If you are driving down on the morning then prebook the short stay car park as you can walk straight into the terminal from there.

Wow thanks for the great post (sorry if that sounded sarcastic it's not)

Just looking. And even at this time on a Sunday the a14 is chocca!
Think I'm just going to set off really early and hope I miss most of the traffic .
Also it looks like it may be possible to stay on the a1 a bit longer go past at Neots and down to strotford then cut across. Might add down time onto the journey but looks like if the a14 is jammed youv had it!

Thanks again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions