Lock down end??

Posted 30th Apr
With Boris announcing the “plan” to lift lockdown next week, does this mean lockdown will be over next week or is he just explaining the plan.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
Just explaining the plan
over next week? Um no. Given it'll be in stages when it starts anyway
.MUFC.30/04/2020 21:24

Do people actually listen?

Nope an they don't care either.
deleted341252
tempt30/04/2020 20:57

We can risk it now that there is more capacity of beds and ventilators. …We can risk it now that there is more capacity of beds and ventilators. Also keeping the rest of the country in lockdown frees up capacity to treat any spike in cases out of london.

That will still double the death toll, each number is a person with a family, nothing to do with beds etc but with saving lives.
35 Comments
Just explaining the plan
over next week? Um no. Given it'll be in stages when it starts anyway
We will know more next Thursday when the plan will probably be announced, but bet it will get extended till June. if it’s earlier it won’t be next weekend that’s for sure the bank holiday will make the majority go mad and we can’t have that or we risk a second peak.
Edited by: "eslick" 30th Apr
Mid June before things get relaxed at earliest
I've never looked forward to a good coffee & cake so much can't wait till lockdown is relaxed a bit.
mrwhitelabel30/04/2020 19:24

Mid June before things get relaxed at earliest

Don't be silly. Our economy wouldn't last that long. France are in their worst recession post war and they have already eased the lockdown. We will learn from other countries mistakes
I can't see the strict lock down continuing through mid - late June. We are in theory 2 weeks behind Italy and a week behind Spain since the commencement of the relative lock down inceptions who have now commenced relaxing. Yes, it will be dependent on cases/deaths etc... but in theory I believe by 11th - 18th May we will start see relaxing of lock down in baby steps. By the end May, beginning of June I see us being in Phase 2 subject to results of relaxing.

Balancing act but any longer and the country will go bust and there will be anarchy in the streets.
Edited by: "Straycat1967" 30th Apr
KFCs reopening more takeouts in Birmingham?

Edit - Martineau Place (the one in Birmingham City Center) is reopening. I don’t think they’ll take Colonels Club vouchers and freebies for deliveries via the app, likely sticking to Uber Eats, Justeat and Deliverpoo.
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 30th Apr
End the lockdown in london and get the economy going. The excel nightingale should be handle any spikes. The rest of the country can stay in lockdown until a cure is found.
deleted341252
School has just issued vouchers for free school meals for whole of May when it used to be weekly, cant see schools going back till June as otherwise they wouldnt have done that.
deleted341252
tempt30/04/2020 20:44

End the lockdown in london and get the economy going. The excel …End the lockdown in london and get the economy going. The excel nightingale should be handle any spikes. The rest of the country can stay in lockdown until a cure is found.

London has more cases than anywhere else in UK, there will be a second lockdown within 3 weeks if that happens.
deleted34125230/04/2020 20:54

London has more cases than anywhere else in UK, there will be a second …London has more cases than anywhere else in UK, there will be a second lockdown within 3 weeks if that happens.

We can risk it now that there is more capacity of beds and ventilators. Also keeping the rest of the country in lockdown frees up capacity to treat any spike in cases out of london.
deleted341252

We can risk it now that there is more capacity of beds and ventilators. …We can risk it now that there is more capacity of beds and ventilators. Also keeping the rest of the country in lockdown frees up capacity to treat any spike in cases out of london.

That will still double the death toll, each number is a person with a family, nothing to do with beds etc but with saving lives.
tempt30/04/2020 20:44

End the lockdown in london and get the economy going. The excel …End the lockdown in london and get the economy going. The excel nightingale should be handle any spikes. The rest of the country can stay in lockdown until a cure is found.

London won’t get back to work in London, most companies are already planning to work from home even after the lockdown ends. It will be a long time before London is London again.

We can risk it, really, who is going to tell the families of those that died because we “risked” , bet you would do it once and change you mind about what risk really is.
Spain is planning to exit the lock-down after coming under pressure especially in the north where they can be quite stroppy.

i just hope they remember the old saying...

'Don't put all your Basques in one exit'.
.MUFC.30/04/2020 21:24

Nope an they don't care either.
Next week Boris will announce " bubbling " where people from the same family can meet. That's about the only positive thing I know.
It's best to just accept this is how it's going to be until 2022. The 'lockdown' may be relaxed but the infections will come in waves until it's infected over 60% of the population or a vaccine is widely available, one thing we don't want is a big wave of infections this winter.
Could be a relaxation based on age for purposes of returning to work as long as the people dont have to come into contact with the vulnerable or elderly. Chances of dying for people under 40 are around 0.001%

Primary schools should reopen as it appears children under 10 don't seem to be catching or transmitting the virus. As of 17th April, 1 person out of 22751 dying was in the 0-10 age group (2 below age 15) and that could have been a false positive test. Tough decisions to be made but we can't hide away until the end of June as the country will be bankrupt and the children of today will be paying the cost all their lives.

40598112-L7THN.jpg

"Young children are not infected and do not transmit the virus,"
The worst thing to do now is remove all restrictions at one go as if nothing happened. That will trigger a second wave leading to a far stricter lockdown like Spain where children were not allowed outside for 6 weeks.

It has to be baby steps. My boss has already told us that no one is coming back to office until all restrictions are lifted, even if this is 2 months away.
bozo00701/05/2020 07:00

The worst thing to do now is remove all restrictions at one go as if …The worst thing to do now is remove all restrictions at one go as if nothing happened. That will trigger a second wave leading to a far stricter lockdown like Spain where children were not allowed outside for 6 weeks.It has to be baby steps. My boss has already told us that no one is coming back to office until all restrictions are lifted, even if this is 2 months away.

Don’t think anyone with any sense thinks it will be a simple everything back to normal, it will take a very long time before that happens and even then we will be living in a changed world. Working from home will get he new norm, companies will get smaller offices as they know it works now. Barclays are the first company to come out and say it’s probably the end of the massive offices.

companies are making plans, I work for an international company, we got hold two weeks ago we wouldn’t go back to the office until 2 to 4 weeks after the lockdown ends and even then it won’t be everyone, possibly just a quarter of the building, possibly on a rotating basis. Social distancing will still need to occur and expect face masks etc will be needed.
chocci01/05/2020 03:26

Could be a relaxation based on age for purposes of returning to work as …Could be a relaxation based on age for purposes of returning to work as long as the people dont have to come into contact with the vulnerable or elderly. Chances of dying for people under 40 are around 0.001%Primary schools should reopen as it appears children under 10 don't seem to be catching or transmitting the virus. As of 17th April, 1 person out of 22751 dying was in the 0-10 age group (2 below age 15) and that could have been a false positive test. Tough decisions to be made but we can't hide away until the end of June as the country will be bankrupt and the children of today will be paying the cost all their lives. [Image] "Young children are not infected and do not transmit the virus,"

The problem they might have is kids that age could spreaders though, they just don’t know as yet.
Primary schools should reopen as it appears children under 10 don't seem to be catching or transmitting the virus. As of 17th April, 1 person out of 22751 dying was in the 0-10 age group (2 below age 15) and that could have been a false positive test. Tough decisions to be made but we can't hide away until the end of June as the country will be bankrupt and the children of today will be paying the cost all their lives.

I really detest today's mentality of "Think of the Children", since this country has changed from a Family to Child centric society. I would like to say in uncertain terms what I think about this mentality but would probably be banned! Doesn't matter if you're a child or adult, all life is sacrosanct and should be treated fairly.

Concerning the C. word, test show children are affected and have died from the virus. Whilst the vast majority of children show relatively mild symptoms thanks to an uncompromised, fully working immune system a child still can transmit the virus. The main reason that scientists have probably come to this conclusion is the lack of detailed analysis or information as children are not in the category of not being at 'risk' and so unchecked.

The problem though is that the lockdown rules allow children to accompany their parents to the shops, or when exercising. Unfortunately the majority of families that I pass continually flaunt the regulations thinking that children are absolved from the social distancing rules. Hardly any of the parents show caution or responsibility by telling their children off, or politely asking them to move out the way. In fact I notice the opposite with a lack of suitable supervision where the children are permitted to use their scooters, or bikes without strict guidance. As a pedestrian that must frequent the shops, to avoid and keep to a safe distance must move out their way!

So do I honestly believe that the children and adult would adhere to new regulations if they allowed to return to School or Nursery. Not a chance in hell!

Edited by: "nemesiz" 1st May
bozo00701/05/2020 07:00

no one is coming back to office until all restrictions are lifted, even if …no one is coming back to office until all restrictions are lifted, even if this is 2 months away.

More likely 2+ years away in reality, if ever, for a lifting of all restrictions . Will you still have a job by then, as for sure, the government aren't going to keep this furlough scheme going much longer than June?
Today is the busiest at our office so far and we are only 6 mins in! Its back to almost normal in the accounts and IT department next door as well!
Roads feel like a normal day now
chocci01/05/2020 08:11

More likely 2+ years away in reality, if ever, for a lifting of all …More likely 2+ years away in reality, if ever, for a lifting of all restrictions . Will you still have a job by then, as for sure, the government aren't going to keep this furlough scheme going much longer than June?

I work for a large global company which has publicly announced that employees will not be asked to go just because the company cannot immediately find work for them. No furloughs, full pay. Performance appraisals were done before the crisis but redundancy because of poor performance is in the low single digits. Generally a very people friendly culture.
Highly doubt we'll do much relaxing of restrictions until at least another month and we what happens with other countries who are opening back up. Our numbers are still far too high at the moment anyway.
nemesiz01/05/2020 07:36

Primary schools should reopen as it appears children under 10 don't seem …Primary schools should reopen as it appears children under 10 don't seem to be catching or transmitting the virus. As of 17th April, 1 person out of 22751 dying was in the 0-10 age group (2 below age 15) and that could have been a false positive test. Tough decisions to be made but we can't hide away until the end of June as the country will be bankrupt and the children of today will be paying the cost all their lives. I really detest today's mentality of "Think of the Children", since this country has changed from a Family to Child centric society. I would like to say in uncertain terms what I think about this mentality but would probably be banned! Doesn't matter if you're a child or adult, all life is sacrosanct and should be treated fairly. Concerning the C. word, test show children are affected and have died from the virus. Whilst the vast majority of children show relatively mild symptoms thanks to an uncompromised, fully working immune system a child still can transmit the virus. The main reason that scientists have probably come to this conclusion is the lack of detailed analysis or information as children are not in the category of not being at 'risk' and so unchecked. The problem though is that the lockdown rules allow children to accompany their parents to the shops, or when exercising. Unfortunately the majority of families that I pass continually flaunt the regulations thinking that children are absolved from the social distancing rules. Hardly any of the parents show caution or responsibility by telling their children off, or politely asking them to move out the way. In fact I notice the opposite with a lack of suitable supervision where the children are permitted to use their scooters, or bikes without strict guidance. As a pedestrian that must frequent the shops, to avoid and keep to a safe distance must move out their way! So do I honestly believe that the children and adult would adhere to new regulations if they allowed to return to School or Nursery. Not a chance in hell!

I take it you don't have children? My priority is my children, a child's welfare always comes first. I am so thankful the Sars-Cov-2 virus does not seem to have much impact on children.
Lockdown won’t end till June/July as the danger of a 2nd or 3rd spike would be catastrophic, an economy can be rebuilt but we can’t raise the dead.
MonkeyMan9030/04/2020 19:35

Don't be silly. Our economy wouldn't last that long. France are in their …Don't be silly. Our economy wouldn't last that long. France are in their worst recession post war and they have already eased the lockdown. We will learn from other countries mistakes

Lets hope so and its done properly (which it probably wont be as its the UK!) as I dont think anyone wants a second wave when the first hasn't gone anywhere yet.

itv.com/new…ns/
Bandicoot01/05/2020 12:26

Lockdown won’t end till June/July as the danger of a 2nd or 3rd spike w …Lockdown won’t end till June/July as the danger of a 2nd or 3rd spike would be catastrophic, an economy can be rebuilt but we can’t raise the dead.

itv.com/new…ns/
Azwipe01/05/2020 11:40

I take it you don't have children? My priority is my children, a child's …I take it you don't have children? My priority is my children, a child's welfare always comes first. I am so thankful the Sars-Cov-2 virus does not seem to have much impact on children.

Not the same impact but it appears - in however small numbers - something else is emerging...

theguardian.com/wor…rus
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions