Lockdown in the garden

Posted 10th Apr
Trying to make the most out of the garden under lockdown. It is pure concrete in the middle of a City. Greenery is scarce and we've no seating.
2 adults and 5 kids, we need somewhere to sit.
Don't fancy these big corner seating sofas, it just won't fit.
Tell me how I can make the garden better for the sake of my sanity please!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs into countryside , through the gate on my close and off you go . Me and kids been for a walk every single day
40372009-X39YF.jpg
40372009-eQEGT.jpg
Second pic form garden
ashmac10/04/2020 15:43

When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs …When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs into countryside , through the gate on my close and off you go . Me and kids been for a walk every single day [Image] [Image] Second pic form garden

Didn't realise we're supposed to be willy waving?.
Do you have a rug you could put outside? (A regular indoor rug should be fine while it's sunny.) That plus some oversized cushions should do the trick (assuming you're wanting a quick solution)! Dunelm and La Redoute have some good options. Then if you can get some plants (fake or otherwise) also delivered that'll make a big difference. Do you have any poles/pillars you could string a hammock between? I've just seen someone who did that on a tiny balcony, thought it was a great idea. Maybe get some solar powered string lights to hang off the fence/walls, get the kids to do a "lockdown gallery" where they each make some art/crafts and you display it on the fence/walls, depending on the size of your garden get a paddling pool... It sort of depends what age your kids are but maybe you could make it a family project to come up with ideas using things already in the house, and work on it together. Enjoy it!
22 Comments
Landscape it if you can get supplies
7 chairs lol
Might help if you post a picture.
Do you have a rug you could put outside? (A regular indoor rug should be fine while it's sunny.) That plus some oversized cushions should do the trick (assuming you're wanting a quick solution)! Dunelm and La Redoute have some good options. Then if you can get some plants (fake or otherwise) also delivered that'll make a big difference. Do you have any poles/pillars you could string a hammock between? I've just seen someone who did that on a tiny balcony, thought it was a great idea. Maybe get some solar powered string lights to hang off the fence/walls, get the kids to do a "lockdown gallery" where they each make some art/crafts and you display it on the fence/walls, depending on the size of your garden get a paddling pool... It sort of depends what age your kids are but maybe you could make it a family project to come up with ideas using things already in the house, and work on it together. Enjoy it!
When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs into countryside , through the gate on my close and off you go . Me and kids been for a walk every single day
40372009-X39YF.jpg
40372009-eQEGT.jpg
Second pic form garden
Hmmm something to sit on, it's a hard one
Could you get some decking boards/scaffolding boards/pallets and create your own bench seating that you could cover with big cushions? I saw some really cool ideas on Facebook/YouTube that probably wouldn’t cost too much if you can source the wood & tools?
you probably can't until places are allowed to open again. I'm halfway through redesigning and landscaping my full garden and have now nearly ground to halt as i can't get any more timber etc, unless i want to pay the ridiculous prices and delivery fees at the usual big diy stores.
Buy a roll of artificial grass and cover the whole area. A few patio chairs pot plants. Get some tomato plants, strawberry plants and stick them in a hanging basket, few plant pots and fill with cheap flowers, herbs such chilli plant, rosemary, basil, thyme and mint.
Something like This , cheap cheerful, colourful and easy to sit on, play games on, etc. It's a quick way to make a start. Possibly some inflatable chairs etc. Then some Christmas lights so you can sit around outside as it gets dark (garden won't feel so small then).
You can paint concrete, making twisty paths, different areas to play tig, a desert island to play castaway etc. Paint frames on the walls, so the kids (and you) can draw their own masterpieces, if you can get chalk. Maybe the kids can draw their own games, like hopscotch or memory palace. Folding chairs can be pretty comfy, and are easy to move around for a change.
At least they came back to add some input!
Use the dining table chairs or take over one of the double mattres
fearghalg10/04/2020 16:41

Buy a roll of artificial grass and cover the whole area. A few patio …Buy a roll of artificial grass and cover the whole area. A few patio chairs pot plants. Get some tomato plants, strawberry plants and stick them in a hanging basket, few plant pots and fill with cheap flowers, herbs such chilli plant, rosemary, basil, thyme and mint.

Does this need someone to do it with some sort of equipment for putting artificial grass on concrete?
Does it just fly all over if you just lay it on concrete?
fearghalg10/04/2020 16:41

Buy a roll of artificial grass and cover the whole area. A few patio …Buy a roll of artificial grass and cover the whole area. A few patio chairs pot plants. Get some tomato plants, strawberry plants and stick them in a hanging basket, few plant pots and fill with cheap flowers, herbs such chilli plant, rosemary, basil, thyme and mint.

I like this idea of hanging baskets and plants. Its bare apart from a wild shrub/thin tree/bush growing from the concrete
tom2kadd110/04/2020 18:54

At least they came back to add some input!

Animal crossing download day
Room_On_The_Broom10/04/2020 21:05

Does this need someone to do it with some sort of equipment for putting …Does this need someone to do it with some sort of equipment for putting artificial grass on concrete?Does it just fly all over if you just lay it on concrete?

You can buy the adhesive and just glue all the edges down directly to the concrete. Or you could put a timber frame around the edge of the concrete and tack the grass onto it. Or you could cut the grass to size, roll it out and then buy some sleepers and place around the edges, which will hold it down and make it look nice. You could then take it up in winter to maintain it.
Get some beach chairs

40376023-EGTNI.jpg

Get a swimming pool (optional) and sand or artificial grass. Would not recommend sand even though it will give a better experience

And get some holiday scenery large prints to hang on the fences.

40376023-7h2QS.jpg
Make some ice cold drinks and enjoy
Next doors cats will come and poo in the sand.
ashmac10/04/2020 15:43

When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs …When I read this I realise how lucky I am to have a back garden that backs into countryside , through the gate on my close and off you go . Me and kids been for a walk every single day [Image] [Image] Second pic form garden

Didn't realise we're supposed to be willy waving?.
Get some cheap planters or even Morrisons flower buckets (normally 8 for £1), some compost and something pretty to grow in them.
Personally I'd go for something edible which looks good, herbs are normally good.
Adds some colour, makes the space interesting for the kids and makes meals tastier.
Inflatable pool or hot tub to sit in and some large posters of a nice beach and somewhere to put the booze.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions