Lockdown needs to be more clear

Posted 24th Mar
I think the government need to be more clear on what is happening at the moment. People don’t know if they can go to work or not? Is construction industry essential or just “breakdown and emergency only”
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Lauraaa24/03/2020 18:04

Not clear at all. I work in an office carrying out non-essential work. I …Not clear at all. I work in an office carrying out non-essential work. I can’t work from home but the office is still open.

According to government advice (at this time) if you can't work at home (and your workplace is still open), you should go into work.
I believe it's mainly retail that is closed because of the risk to the public. Offices etc are not closed as there is no risk to the public and employers have a duty of care to ensure the workplace is as safe as possible with 2m distancing etc.
Essential refers only to public places (for want of a better term) at this time.
Seems fairly clear to me
This is a fake lockdown. Look at what India has done - everything other than essential stuff shut down from tonight for 3 weeks. No inter city trains, no flights, and police on the streets. If a country with 1.3B people can do it, there is no reason for UK not to do it.

Closer home, France, Italy and Greece are other examples of what a lockdown looks like.
47 Comments
Seems fairly clear to me
Not clear at all. I work in an office carrying out non-essential work. I can’t work from home but the office is still open.

Not clear at all. I work in an office carrying out non-essential work. I …Not clear at all. I work in an office carrying out non-essential work. I can’t work from home but the office is still open.

Well it shouldn`t be
Difficult. The Govt has without a shadow of a doubt been as clear as it can be within the limitations it is encased in and all it is receiving is point scoring from those who should know better and veiled criticism from journalists.

Even the police have focused on public statement about whether the new policy will interfere with their community and other policing programs.

Yes, the Govt needs to be much, much, much tougher. But there are many who won't like that either
Edited by: "ccnp" 24th Mar

it is clear your company is just not following the designation of key workers. If you are not in one of those segments listed here you shouldn’t be in work Link
it is confusing, i work as a breakdown engineer travelling from home to various sites, sometimes it might be aprinter in a pharmacy others it will be homes, boss wants us to carry on as usual but getting worried with the threats of police fines etc...

it does baffle me how supermarkets with no automated checkouts are still carrying on, screens or not aren't infected people going to touch packets etc as they load the till conveyor, then the till operator will do the same.. seems mental...
Yep you should be shut.
Very confusing indeed. A lot of people still out and about, the amount of people going outside will be greater in the next few days if they don’t make it clearer.

According to government advice (at this time) if you can't work at home (and your workplace is still open), you should go into work.
I believe it's mainly retail that is closed because of the risk to the public. Offices etc are not closed as there is no risk to the public and employers have a duty of care to ensure the workplace is as safe as possible with 2m distancing etc.
Essential refers only to public places (for want of a better term) at this time.
Pandamansays24/03/2020 19:17

According to government advice (at this time) if you can't work at home …According to government advice (at this time) if you can't work at home (and your workplace is still open), you should go into work.I believe it's mainly retail that is closed because of the risk to the public. Offices etc are not closed as there is no risk to the public and employers have a duty of care to ensure the workplace is as safe as possible with 2m distancing etc.Essential refers only to public places (for want of a better term) at this time.

This.
It’s now clear lockdown doesn’t mean what anyone thought it did yesterday after the PMs announcement. Totally unbelievable.

bbc.co.uk/new…417
This is a fake lockdown. Look at what India has done - everything other than essential stuff shut down from tonight for 3 weeks. No inter city trains, no flights, and police on the streets. If a country with 1.3B people can do it, there is no reason for UK not to do it.

Closer home, France, Italy and Greece are other examples of what a lockdown looks like.
Kwy workers definition has been amended now a lot more civil servants on the front line added.
bozo00724/03/2020 19:48

This is a fake lockdown. Look at what India has done - everything other …This is a fake lockdown. Look at what India has done - everything other than essential stuff shut down from tonight for 3 weeks. No inter city trains, no flights, and police on the streets. If a country with 1.3B people can do it, there is no reason for UK not to do it.Closer home, France, Italy and Greece are other examples of what a lockdown looks like.

Have you been to India? I guess not. A lot. A LOT of people live ON the street. Blanket beneath them if lucky. Thinking lock down means everyone off the streets isn't quiet how it works there. Police there wouldn't do interviews about whether or not the Govt policy will interfere with the community policing efforts. They carry night sticks and are quite OK with using them.
I'm concerned about the people on the underground, buses, trains travelling to work (I'd assume most of them are essential workers - or people who are self-employed who maybe shouldn't be at work but need to earn)? People are still cramming in cheek by jowl on the London Underground, for example.
I work at a plant nursery and been told by boss to carry on as normal, it’s definitely not essential work tho! Needs full lock down
Feels like this is a test, further enforcement will be enforced soon In my opinion. The city I live in the buses are still running, lunchtime today I noticed a bus which was full. Early in the morning it was dead as the day went on more cars & people appeared as expected.
It's clear cut, your employer knows if they need to close or can remain open. Every employer is getting government advice. If they haven't said anything, you go into work as usual. Even non essential work places remain open but not to the public, I know people who are still working some with half days some it's still the same.
ccnp24/03/2020 20:09

Have you been to India? I guess not. A lot. A LOT of people live ON the …Have you been to India? I guess not. A lot. A LOT of people live ON the street. Blanket beneath them if lucky. Thinking lock down means everyone off the streets isn't quiet how it works there. Police there wouldn't do interviews about whether or not the Govt policy will interfere with the community policing efforts. They carry night sticks and are quite OK with using them.

I was born and raised in India. Enough said.
Everyone should be at home except large construction companies who just happen to be one of the largest Tory party donors but that's just coincidence right ?
It's not hard, if it's not essential work, can you work 2m apart, if yes you can go to work.

But for God's sake stay away for old and vulnerable.

Tbh the virus isn't going to magically go away and hopefully by next winter it will be classed a more common flu which the general public can catch whilst the vulnerable can have a vacine.
My son has “effectively” had to leave home tonight, it’s the only way he could continue to see his girlfriend.

He’s now over 18 and has both parents at home, as does his girlfriend.
But had his mother and I (or his girlfriends parents) been separated, they could have freely moved between the two households? (Simplistically speaking)

On one report I’m told they can’t see each other unless they “live together” at the same address, in another I’m told to use my common sense when interpreting the “guidelines” regarding their interactions?
i understood them to be commands rather than “guidelines”?

Both households have a parent/parents that go out shopping (for essentials obviously) and both households have a parent that still goes out to work.
To me, both of those activities carry a greater risk of contracting the infection in the first place, than my son seeing his girlfriend in an evening would?

I’m assuming that no one in government has (or can remember being?) a love struck teenager?
Clear and simple your employer should close its office.

New law coming into play where if this is the case the employer will be fined.
bozo00724/03/2020 20:48

I was born and raised in India. Enough said.

Whilst assuming incorrectly about your place of origin, (which is difficult to ascertain on a forum), much of what else they said absolutely holds true.
defgimp24/03/2020 21:19

...To me, both of those activities carry a greater risk of contracting the …...To me, both of those activities carry a greater risk of contracting the infection in the first place, than my son seeing his girlfriend in an evening would?...

You are exactly right, but here is the bit you don't get.

If you follow the guidelines provided and you still get the virus whilst at work/shopping and pass it to your son, he WON'T then pass it on to the girlfriend and her family, who wont then pass it on to her parents work colleagues etc etc etc.

This is exactly the whole point of it all, and the reason why the government have increased the restrictions.
Pandamansays24/03/2020 21:48

You are exactly right, but here is the bit you don't get. If you follow …You are exactly right, but here is the bit you don't get. If you follow the guidelines provided and you still get the virus whilst at work/shopping and pass it to your son, he WON'T then pass it on to the girlfriend and her family, who wont then pass it on to her parents work colleagues etc etc etc. This is exactly the whole point of it all, and the reason why the government have increased the restrictions.

Wasn't the point I was making but thanks for your input
Edited by: "defgimp" 25th Mar
I’m self employed and was out working at customers house yesterday, they said they can’t have me until it’s over and safe as they are pensioners, my next job I had planned is for a pregnant young woman, however her order has been manufactured and due to be delivered but they phoned to say they are closing the factory and the order won’t be delivered, it’s a 6 grand job, so I’m now sat at home, I also have another job being made (8 grand job) but their factory has closed so won’t be getting that delivered in time to fit for customer. I have bills and rent on my factory unit to pay, Will I qualify for any help financially as I will be drained if this goes on for months.?
Biggest problem is the government assumed people had common sense, but the majority don’t, they need telling every single thing and then enforced as they have no self control..
airfix25/03/2020 08:04

I’m self employed and was out working at customers house yesterday, they s …I’m self employed and was out working at customers house yesterday, they said they can’t have me until it’s over and safe as they are pensioners, my next job I had planned is for a pregnant young woman, however her order has been manufactured and due to be delivered but they phoned to say they are closing the factory and the order won’t be delivered, it’s a 6 grand job, so I’m now sat at home, I also have another job being made (8 grand job) but their factory has closed so won’t be getting that delivered in time to fit for customer. I have bills and rent on my factory unit to pay, Will I qualify for any help financially as I will be drained if this goes on for months.?

Government have said they will pay self employed the same as workers. Plus business grants and relief on stuff. Being a business owner you should be on government website looking this up, or speak to your account..
airfix25/03/2020 08:04

I’m self employed and was out working at customers house yesterday, they s …I’m self employed and was out working at customers house yesterday, they said they can’t have me until it’s over and safe as they are pensioners, my next job I had planned is for a pregnant young woman, however her order has been manufactured and due to be delivered but they phoned to say they are closing the factory and the order won’t be delivered, it’s a 6 grand job, so I’m now sat at home, I also have another job being made (8 grand job) but their factory has closed so won’t be getting that delivered in time to fit for customer. I have bills and rent on my factory unit to pay, Will I qualify for any help financially as I will be drained if this goes on for months.?

I think you get loans and grants if you have accounting records and tax returns. As it stands at the moment, for self-employed you have to wait till tomorrow's Chancellor's announcement, there is some speculation this may happen tomorrow. The government help here is not as much as they are for the North-western EU countries, our governments tend to under-perform and laggers when it comes to social leadership, infrastructural and financial leadership.
Edited by: "splender" 25th Mar
Bargainhead25/03/2020 13:25

Government have said they will pay self employed the same as workers. Plus …Government have said they will pay self employed the same as workers. Plus business grants and relief on stuff. Being a business owner you should be on government website looking this up, or speak to your account..

Got a link to where it says self employed will be paid the same as workers please, as thats not how I understood it?
julieallen25/03/2020 14:38

Got a link to where it says self employed will be paid the same as workers …Got a link to where it says self employed will be paid the same as workers please, as thats not how I understood it?

Was in the paper this morning, check government website or google..
Does this also apply to flying schools & private airports?

I now won't be able to fly for 3 weeks thanks to selfishness of people who still thinking this is a holiday.
Bargainhead25/03/2020 14:52

Was in the paper this morning, check government website or google..

Nothing on the government website about it and the most recent story I can find on the BBC is

bbc.co.uk/new…299

which says they are looking to do something in the next few days?
julieallen25/03/2020 15:05

Nothing on the government website about it and the most recent story I can …Nothing on the government website about it and the most recent story I can find on the BBC ishttps://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52021299which says they are looking to do something in the next few days?

Was an article in the DM this morning...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants