Loft conversion

Found 22nd Mar
Anyone in the Stoke on Trent area recommend a company for a loft conversion.
We have the plans already drawn up, just need someone come give us a quote.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
3 Comments
UTMP!!
We used this Company recently:

[ eco-lofts.co.uk ]
Based on experience of 3 extensions;

If the plans are worth anything, the planner should be able to recommend someone. If not, think about whether your plans are any use. Poor plans will lead to 'changes' after the job starts and 'changes' are expensive. Get the builder to agree the plans are complete and ask for specific problems they forsee when using them.

You may want to use a Surveyor to represent your interests when talking to the builder and to advise on builders. It would probably be 3 or 4 site visits at crucial points and cost £1k BUT you have someone the builder can't scam. I am not a surveyor or part of that trade. When doing major structural work like this, I have used a Structural Engineer. I would go as far as to promise you it is worth the money if you find the right partner. Make a few phone calls. It costs you nothing to do that and you may get some tips free.

Scan the Council Planning website for similar applications, visit the property and see who they used

Look for membership of a trade body. Federation of Master Builders etc

They must be able to demonstrate insurance and previous job reference visits

Check your own buildings policy. Some cover work up to a value, some exclude cover during building work in favour of your builders policy. You need to tie this one down.

Long and slow now. Choose carefully. If the builder cant show reference work, cant show insurance, just gives you all the platitudes, move on.

Agree a payment scheme based on value to you and keep 25% back until the Building Regs certificate (or surveyor signs the work off) is delivered into your hand.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions