Loft conversion?

Posted 23rd Feb
We are desperate for more space and sadly short on funds!

We live in a 3 bed semi and would love a loft conversion and wonder if anyone ever gets a loft conversion done without a dormer?
We are hoping not having a dormer will mean we may be able to afford to borrow enough to have it done.

Does anyone know how much this would cost?
Xx
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Hello, We had done a loft conversion without a doomer, it just depends how good your builder it as we wanted to use every single cm of space available hence the builder suggested to make way from one of the bedrooms into the attic or loft. stairs were setup and off we go. Plenty of insulation into the roof, the builder suggested to use 200mm of insulation and we never regret that as it kept our loft nice and warm during winter. back in 2008 it costed us 6000k including material and labour, if you have a chimney, it would be worth taking it out, its an extra 2k for it but it does make a lot of difference. I was in the same boat as you and didnt take out the chimney and thats my only regret.
No point asking here, it depends where you live, up north is going to be cheaper than London and what the house prices are, I know tradesmen who charge more when going to a posher estate less than a mile away.

but dormers themselves are not that expensive. What I would do is get a few tradesmen round and ask for prices with and without. Also you might not need a builder. A good handyman can do a loft conversion. I got a joiner out the local paper to put stairs in and did the rest myself and I hate diy..
TBH the cost of a dormer isnt a big deal in the context.
The main issues are floor strength and roof structure.

If the existing joists aren't strong enogh then you're into major work/steels.
If the roof structure involves lots of internal supports then again its a big deal to sort.

Why not extend on the ground floor/garage?
mas9923/02/2020 14:34

TBH the cost of a dormer isnt a big deal in the context. The main issues …TBH the cost of a dormer isnt a big deal in the context. The main issues are floor strength and roof structure. If the existing joists aren't strong enogh then you're into major work/steels.If the roof structure involves lots of internal supports then again its a big deal to sort.Why not extend on the ground floor/garage?

Great advise about floor structure and possibly needing extra steels loft conversions can be very costly
i have seen a lot of loft conversion without a dormer. whether you can do a loft conversion or not will depend on the pitch height and whether you can create proper access from the second floor.
Velux are hot in summer and noisy in rain. We have them in our loft conversion. Should of fitted smaller ones
About a thousand quid per square metre
Dont forget if you're going down the building regs route it'll be a lot more expensive, however if you come to sell at least then you can sell the loft space as a habitable room as opposed to a "hobby room"
atifprince23/02/2020 12:49

Hello, We had done a loft conversion without a doomer, it just depends how …Hello, We had done a loft conversion without a doomer, it just depends how good your builder it as we wanted to use every single cm of space available hence the builder suggested to make way from one of the bedrooms into the attic or loft. stairs were setup and off we go. Plenty of insulation into the roof, the builder suggested to use 200mm of insulation and we never regret that as it kept our loft nice and warm during winter. back in 2008 it costed us 6000k including material and labour, if you have a chimney, it would be worth taking it out, its an extra 2k for it but it does make a lot of difference. I was in the same boat as you and didnt take out the chimney and thats my only regret.

I doubt it cost you 6 million.....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants