Groups
    EXPIRED

logbook and car insurance query

If I register my new car in my name but the insurance is in my dad's name (me as named driver), will I be able to tax the car?

Does the insurance and logbook need to match up name wise?

11 Comments

The log book just signifies "registered keeper" no worries so long as there is valid insurance, just think of company cars that reps use (not pool cars) they are inured for that rep, but the "keeper" is the company they work for.

You can own a car without being the driver, bit like banned drivers (company exec for example) who pay someone to drive them in their own car)
    Edited by: "harlzter" 26th Nov 2010

whatsThePoint

yes to stop crimes such as yours

They never said they was the main driver.........

AFAIK you can do this if you are not the main driver.
    Edited by: "harlzter" 26th Nov 2010

As long as you are listed as a named driver getting tax will be no problem

Banned

You'll be able to tax it, driving it more than 50% of the time though will invalidate your insurance.

oh scrap that you are the registered keeper you are going to be breaking the law because the main driver on the insurance has to be the owner of the car. You'll be giving false details to the insurance company.

Edited by: "lumoruk" 26th Nov 2010

Original Poster

I will be driving the car the most, and the insurance company knows as they asked (my dad has a company car and will use this 90% of the time). They also ask who will use the car the most which is me,

So for me to go on my dads insurance he has to be the registered keeper of the car?

faevilangel

So for me to go on my dads insurance he has to be the registered keeper … So for me to go on my dads insurance he has to be the registered keeper of the car?

No. Just need to inform them you are the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

yes to stop crimes such as yours

How is it a crime to get cheaper insurance by going on my dads? I get my own NCB as well.

Not everyone can afford £1800+ for insurance (I only earn £400 a month so is way out of my budget)

Banned

faevilangel

Not everyone can afford £1800+ for insurance (I only earn £400 a month so … Not everyone can afford £1800+ for insurance (I only earn £400 a month so is way out of my budget)

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/insurance/car-cover-soars-as-fraud-and-fronting-takes-effect-2028598.html

Mine was £1,400 when I first started driving, is now £214 after 9yrs no claims.
    Edited by: "lumoruk" 26th Nov 2010

faevilangel

How is it a crime to get cheaper insurance by going on my dads? I get my … How is it a crime to get cheaper insurance by going on my dads? I get my own NCB as well.Not everyone can afford £1800+ for insurance (I only earn £400 a month so is way out of my budget)

It is known as " fronting " I would check very carefully with the insurance company and make sure they have the full facts, as you may well end up with insurance that is not valid.

faevilangel

How is it a crime to get cheaper insurance by going on my dads? I get my … How is it a crime to get cheaper insurance by going on my dads? I get my own NCB as well.Not everyone can afford £1800+ for insurance (I only earn £400 a month so is way out of my budget)

Of course its a crime. So what if you don't earn enough, the right to drive is not a right but a privilege.

Banned

Inactive

It is known as " fronting " I would check very carefully with the … It is known as " fronting " I would check very carefully with the insurance company and make sure they have the full facts, as you may well end up with insurance that is not valid.

+1

might as well not bother paying for any insurance. Effectively cover would be the same as being a main 'named' driver i.e. ZILCH!

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. GTX 1070 went out and old card won't work either.11
    2. Good Sim only deals??57
    3. Digital ps4 games22
    4. BT FIBRE EXISTING CUSTOMER45

See more discussions