Logitech Z906 - Can the sound be enabled through all speakers?

Found 19th Mar 2016
I purchased the Logitech z906 from the lighting deal yesterday and I have issues playing sound through all the speakers.

I have connected the speakers to my U2515h monitor using a RCA to the sub and 3.5mm to the monitor.

I also tried to connect the speakers using the 3 3.5mm outputs on subs directly into my desktop and configuring sub, front & rear speakers as I connect each 3.5mm to my desktop.

I am using the 3D sound effect mode on the Logitech which states that all speakers should be used.

The other speakers do definitely work but don't seem to be enabled.

The trouble I am having is that two of the rear speakers do not produce sound, whatever I play music, video or play through Youtube. I even conducted a 5.1 test through Youtube which did not work.

Only the center, fronts & sub produce sound.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.
Community Updates
AskLogitechSpeaker
55 Comments
Youtube is only stereo and not 5.1. I asked that question on here before.
Have you connected the 5.1 inputs to your onboard sound and then enabled 5.1 in audio control panel ?
There is a massive difference between dolby 5.1 and discreet 5.1

I have connected the speakers to my U2515h monitor using a RCA to the sub … I have connected the speakers to my U2515h monitor using a RCA to the sub and 3.5mm to the monitor

I'm having a hard time trying to under stand what you mean.
Speaker to the monitor using rca, I get that, but then the sub, the sub of what? The way I read it it sounds like you are referring to the monitor. And 3.5mm to the monitor? Why would you connect it up twice?

Can you make it a bit clearer please?
kester76

Youtube is only stereo and not 5.1. I asked that question on here … Youtube is only stereo and not 5.1. I asked that question on here before.Have you connected the 5.1 inputs to your onboard sound and then enabled 5.1 in audio control panel ?There is a massive difference between dolby 5.1 and discreet 5.1

Yes enabled 5.1 on my sound card but when it runs the test the two rear ones still don't play sound.
I have a proper Sony amp and 5.1 speakers and in Windows 10 only games outputting 5.1 sound will play on all speakers and only Winamp with a 5.1 add on which forces 5.1 sound. ITunes etc just played stereo sound at 2.0 as intended. Unless you go into sound output device click on enhancements and select surround or whatever.
MIDURIX

I'm having a hard time trying to under stand what you mean.Speaker to the … I'm having a hard time trying to under stand what you mean.Speaker to the monitor using rca, I get that, but then the sub, the sub of what? The way I read it it sounds like you are referring to the monitor. And 3.5mm to the monitor? Why would you connect it up twice? Can you make it a bit clearer please?

Apologies for the confusion.

I have tried two ways of connecting it -

1. Rca in subwoofer and 3.5mm jack in the monitor

2. The speakers came with a lead which had the 3.5mm jacks at each end.
I connected the 3 jacks on one end to the subwoofer and then the other end 3 jacks in desktop PC. I connected the 3 3.5mm jacks one at a time into the PC and when I did it asked me whether it was line in, centre/sub, front speakers or rear speakers. I configured this correctly.

Hopefully this makes it clearer?

Thanks
I would probably plug the optical out of the pc into the z906. Select optical out as your sound device and 5.1 speakers in audio control panel. remember to use your rear surrounds as side surrounds. you might have dolby digital plus which will convert stereo to dolby digital.
mushi1989

Apologies for the confusion.I have tried two ways of connecting it - 1. … Apologies for the confusion.I have tried two ways of connecting it - 1. Rca in subwoofer and 3.5mm jack in the monitor2. The speakers came with a lead which had the 3.5mm jacks at each end.I connected the 3 jacks on one end to the subwoofer and then the other end 3 jacks in desktop PC. I connected the 3 3.5mm jacks one at a time into the PC and when I did it asked me whether it was line in, centre/sub, front speakers or rear speakers. I configured this correctly.Hopefully this makes it clearer?Thanks

​Your monitor is a separate soundcard to your onboard sound. Dont mix hdmi with analogue out as it wont work.
MIDURIX

I have a proper Sony amp and 5.1 speakers and in Windows 10 only games … I have a proper Sony amp and 5.1 speakers and in Windows 10 only games outputting 5.1 sound will play on all speakers and only Winamp with a 5.1 add on which forces 5.1 sound. ITunes etc just played stereo sound at 2.0 as intended. Unless you go into sound output device click on enhancements and select surround or whatever.

A Windows pops up when I connect the audio jacks directly to the PC and I click on 5.1 surround sound?

With regards to 5.1 being for specific games only, can I not force the system just to play the same output as the front speakers when playing music?

Thanks
kester76

​Your monitor is a separate soundcard to your onboard sound. Dont mix h … ​Your monitor is a separate soundcard to your onboard sound. Dont mix hdmi with analogue out as it wont work.

Thanks, I will only use the direct connection to the desktop PC from now on.
mushi1989

A Windows pops up when I connect the audio jacks directly to the PC and I … A Windows pops up when I connect the audio jacks directly to the PC and I click on 5.1 surround sound?With regards to 5.1 being for specific games only, can I not force the system just to play the same output as the front speakers when playing music?Thanks

You need dolby digital plus enabled for 2 to 5.1 conversion, your onboard sound should support it.
What colour 3.5mm connections does your monitor have?

Edit: if you are using your pc as the source what 3.5mm connections does it have?
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 19th Mar 2016
mushi1989

A Windows pops up when I connect the audio jacks directly to the PC and I … A Windows pops up when I connect the audio jacks directly to the PC and I click on 5.1 surround sound?With regards to 5.1 being for specific games only, can I not force the system just to play the same output as the front speakers when playing music?Thanks

If you go into enhancements tab.
Oh yeah, it might be called dolby digital live as well.
Looks like this http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jk3VwMxNzrM/VhD8b7amHlI/AAAAAAAADgQ/BHtC7YeOkCQ/s640/dolby-digital-plus-issue-solved-on-Windows-10.png
If you have an optical cable I would just use that as you can get reasonable 5.1 though optical out and it saves on a lot of cables.
MIDURIX

What colour 3.5mm connections does your monitor have?Edit: if you are … What colour 3.5mm connections does your monitor have?Edit: if you are using your pc as the source what 3.5mm connections does it have?

Blue, Green & Pink ports on my PC.

The 3.5mm jack has Black, Green & Orange

I have connected the ports to jack in the order above.

Thanks
kester76

Oh yeah, it might be called dolby digital live as well.Looks like this

I cannot seem to locate this, please could I have idiot proof instructions?
mushi1989

Blue, Green & Pink ports on my PC. The 3.5mm jack has Black, Green & … Blue, Green & Pink ports on my PC. The 3.5mm jack has Black, Green & OrangeI have connected the ports to jack in the order above. Thanks

That's your answer right there. Your motherboard can't do 5.1 sound.
kester76

If you have an optical cable I would just use that as you can get … If you have an optical cable I would just use that as you can get reasonable 5.1 though optical out and it saves on a lot of cables.

I'm pretty sure the subwoofer has an optical out but unfortunately my desktop does not have a port. Only 3 3.5mm inputs.

Would optical cable to 3.5mm do the trick?

Thanks
http://i68.tinypic.com/kew32q.jpg[/img]
Pink: Mic in
Blue: Line in
Green: Front speakers out
Black (or dark blue on some older boards): Rear speakers out
Orange: Center/subwoofer out
Gray: Middle speakers out

Having only blue, pink and green means you have line in, mic in and sound out (which I'm pretty sure will be stereo)
MIDURIX

That's your answer right there. Your motherboard can't do 5.1 sound.

Oh I see thanks, I presume their isn't a third party software that could force it to do it?

Could you recommend a good cheap replacement please?

Thanks
What does the instructions tell you Your text here
Edited by: "ding" 19th Mar 2016
The subwoofer has two optical spdif and one rca spdif. Two rca connections and 3x3.5mm connections.
MIDURIX

Pink: Mic inBlue: Line inGreen: Front speakers outBlack (or dark blue on … Pink: Mic inBlue: Line inGreen: Front speakers outBlack (or dark blue on some older boards): Rear speakers outOrange: Center/subwoofer outGray: Middle speakers outHaving only blue, pink and green means you have line in, mic in and sound out (which I'm pretty sure will be stereo)

Thank you for this, I have now learned something new! having closely looked at the inputs I can see images of the inputs about the socket which now makes sense.

The issue is that the final 3.5mm jack is going to the microphone on the PC?
ding

Your text here

Thank you
Your soundcard might switch between mic and centre speaker
mushi1989

Thank you for this, I have now learned something new! having closely … Thank you for this, I have now learned something new! having closely looked at the inputs I can see images of the inputs about the socket which now makes sense. The issue is that the final 3.5mm jack is going to the microphone on the PC?

No, Green is the only output of sound from your pc to the speakers, blue and pink are both inputting sounds that's why blue is called line in and green is called line out.

However..... quite a few motherboards which only have pink, green and blue allow the pink and blue ports to be used as outputs for surround sound, but I have no idea if your motherboard can. All depends on your motherboard really.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 19th Mar 2016
kester76

This is true. Same can be said about the blue line in, which can sometime operate as the rear speakers.
MIDURIX

No, Green is the only output of sound from your pc to the speakers, blue … No, Green is the only output of sound from your pc to the speakers, blue and pink are both inputting sounds that's why blue is called line in and green is called line out.However..... quite a few motherboards which only have pink, green and blue allow the pink and blue ports to be used as outputs for surround sound, but I have no idea if your motherboard can. Looking above it looks like Mushi1989 has just 3 3.5mm ports and can do surround. All depends on your motherboard really.

I believe this is what is happening, I am only getting sound from 2 of the 3 outputs on my PC. How can I tell if the sound card is inbuilt on the motherboard or is a separately installed?
Download cpu-Z and it will say what motherboard you have
MIDURIX

This is true. Same can be said about the blue line in, which can sometime … This is true. Same can be said about the blue line in, which can sometime operate as the rear speakers.

​Always freaks me out when the soundcard swaps inputs around
kester76

http://i64.tinypic.com/30b37d5.jpg[/img]

Does the above help/clarify?
mushi1989

I believe this is what is happening, I am only getting sound from 2 of … I believe this is what is happening, I am only getting sound from 2 of the 3 outputs on my PC. How can I tell if the sound card is inbuilt on the motherboard or is a separately installed?

You keep miss reading somewhere.
Green is audio out from pc
Blue and pink are both audio in to the pc.
So you should only have 1 working as an output of sound from pc to speakers.
If two are working then really all three should be able to.

A separate sound card would be plugged in by pci. If the inputs are near the built in usb, vga, dvi etc it is just motherboard sound, if it is a separate pci soundcard then it will use the expansion slots lower down like a graphics card or separate network card

http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Back-ATX-case.jpg

Rear of pc case with bottom and top expansion slots unused and other two in use by soundcard and network card (with antenna ).
MIDURIX

Download cpu-Z and it will say what motherboard you have

Its MSI B75MA-P45

Cheers
mushi1989

[/img]Does the above help/clarify?

​It's a realtek onboard soundcard so it will support analogue 5.1 output.
mushi1989

[/img]Does the above help/clarify?

That shows you have way more input and output 3.5mm than mushi1989
mushi1989

[/img]

Those pictures make me think your motherboard can do 5.1 sound actually. Looks like you don't have a sound card too, just built in MSI sound
mushi1989

Its MSI B75MA-P45Cheers

• Chipset integrated by Realtek® ALC887
- Flexible 8-channel audio with jack sensing
- Compliant with Azalia 1.0 Spec

Makes me think it's a software issue then. Have you tried a 5.1 video film playing in something like media player classic or vlc. Or tried playing any game?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants