Groups

London Fire Brigade Museum threatened with closure (and petition to help save it)

OK. I'm not going to say "please sign this petition". I'm going to give you the information, let you have a read and let you decide whether or not you want to sign the petition.

There's a fire brigade museum on Southwark Bridge Road in London. The museum is generally closed to the public, with viewing by appointment. The attendance of the museum, however, is around 5,000 a year - mostly made up by schools who visit in order to learn more about their local area's history.

Some people may agree with fire authority chair Brian Coleman who said "once you've seen one brass helmet you have seen them all".

I, on the other hand, had the great fortune of visitng the old HQ of the London Fire Brigade. I was incredibly moved by two memorials which are in place there. One is to all of the firefighters who lost their lives during the Blitz. The other is to all other firemen who have died in service in the London area. Both memorials are complete with a list of names. It seemed strange to see these, as it reminded me just how dangerous the situations that firemen put themselves in on a regular basis in order to keep themselves safe, and I feel that closing the museum would do these men (and women) a great dis-service.

What's more, much of the museum's collection and archive has been donated by the families of firemen who have now died, and the moral implications of splitting up the collection have probably not been considered.

Take a look at the museums page for more info about the museum:
    london-fire.gov.uk/Our…asp
    See the petition page for how you can help:
    gopetition.co.uk/pet…eum
    See the facebook group for more info in general, links to news reports and important updates:
    facebook.com/gro…196

Please pass this onto friends **who you think may be interested**. Petition signatures from people in the London area would probably be beneficial to the cause.

I'd just like to point out that I'm not involved in organising this petition - I would just like to highlight its existence as well as the existence of the museum, which most people don't even know exists.

11 Comments

ditto.

Original Poster

I think that this is one of my favourite articles on the matter:
    southwarknews.co.uk/00,…htm

signed - well worth fighting for -

have they managed to get a grant from lottery heritage fund?

Original Poster

holly100;3266248

signed - well worth fighting for - have they managed to get a grant from … signed - well worth fighting for - have they managed to get a grant from lottery heritage fund?

I'm not too sure. It'd make sense to get heritage lottery fund to turn it into a proper attraction which people can visit. The lottery fund love giving money to existing collections for them to expand, as it's usually much more cost effective than trying to fund a new start-up.

I'm not sure if there's a *national* fire museum as such. Has anyone heard of "Fire World"? If there isn't an official national fire-fighting museum then maybe the Southwark site could go for that status.

i know this is serious thread but just reading news and came across this story

delete if you want dm -

Fire crews hunt escaped hamster

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Signed and forwarded

Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention that the petition is likely to be delivered by a convoy of vintage/veteran fire engines a few days before the funding meeting on November 22nd, which will probably be quite a sight. :-D

Done :thumbsup:

Original Poster

I've received some lovely replies from MPs about this one, including Harriet Harman.

Original Poster

The decision to close the museum was not followed through at the LFEPA meeting today, although it isn't entirely safe. The museum will now be looking at ways to improve and cut costs before another review of the budget in March. At least they now have some time to do this, and I wish them the best of luck.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tesco Recalls 1,000's of products!​22
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764332
      3. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831429
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846229

See more discussions