London Public Travel With Family

Found 27th Jun
I booked a 4 night stay in London with my children. 14, 12 and 11. we will be using public transport... what/how and the cheapesr way pay for fares?... i have heard of all sorts of cards and different oyster card stuff (zip?)... it's confusing!
Community Updates
AskTravelLondon
7 Comments
What part of London? Probably cheapest is train tube network using a payg type card called the oyster card.
Visitor Oyster Cards are probably the best way to go (although the initial £5 cost is non-refundable). children under 11 travel free (but need a child’s travel card) but the 14yr old will also need a visitor’s Oyster card.
Plan your itinerary beforehand as it might be cheaper just to buy a zone 1 all day travel ticket each morning or (dare I say) walk.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 27th Jun
Just in case you didn’t know, buses do not take cash for fares, travel cards only
hethekid1 h, 10 m ago

What part of London? Probably cheapest is train tube network using a payg …What part of London? Probably cheapest is train tube network using a payg type card called the oyster card.

Battersea travelodge... can just touring basically... madame tussauds... visiting london eye... london bridge... big ben... buckingham palace! Lol...
Use your debit card
Each paying fare needs a contactless debit card or smartphone. You tap the same card on and off station and keep using all day multiple times and then the cheapest fare rate is calculated at the end of the day depending on where you travel. If you haven't got 4 contactless cards then use apple pay or android pay on mobile phones. Make sure whatever each person uses getting on they use getting off to get the best deal (capping) simple really. oyster is kind of like a pre pay debit card but you don't need that now. The child's photo cards are online so apply
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Jun
tfl.gov.uk/far…255

This is probably the best source of information for travelling with your children.
In summary I think you need to apply for oyster zip cards for them to give them half price travel on the tube etc. but would require tipping up, you can preload it when ordering and always request a refund afterwards, or topup as needed at any station using a ticket machine
For you I would just use a contactless card
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions