Groups

London request.

Banned
    I'm taking my mom to London for the day in June. I figured we'd walk most places and keep close, but as she's never been before she is very excited and has lots of things planned in her mind already.

My query is whether anyone has an Oyster card they no longer use or if anyone has an empty one they can lend me for the day and I will of course return them. (i need 2, but dont mind if they come from different people obviously)

Help please?

x

14 Comments

is an oyster card like a pre laoded card you can use in any shop?

Original Poster Banned

shosie;5131796

is an oyster card like a pre laoded card you can use in any shop?

Its a card that you can top up with credit yes and then swipe on the underground.Its for london travel. I'm not asking for one with credit on it, will just top up what we need on it as soon as we get to london. x

H_K;5131801

Its a card that you can top up with credit yes and then swipe on the … Its a card that you can top up with credit yes and then swipe on the underground. I'm not asking for one with credit on it, will just top up what we need on it as soon as we get to london. x

ahh right , thats not what i was thinking, i just thought you were worried about pick pocketes ect. so was gonna say visa do something similar to the card you can preload and i think you can pick them up in laces like wh smith? not sure tho i have seen them dunno if that helps? Theres also a card that paypal does that can be linked to your paypal account

Original Poster Banned

shosie;5131807

ahh right , thats not what i was thinking, i just thought you were … ahh right , thats not what i was thinking, i just thought you were worried about pick pocketes ect. so was gonna say visa do something similar to the card you can preload and i think you can pick them up in laces like wh smith? not sure tho i have seen them dunno if that helps?

No, we're pretty street smart with purses etc, especially in cities. The oyster card enables cheaper transport you see, so it would knock down out outlay for tubes for the day by about a fiver each, not a fortune but every little helps and its easier than tickets.

H_K;5131811

No, we're pretty street smart with purses etc, especially in cities. The … No, we're pretty street smart with purses etc, especially in cities. The oyster card enables cheaper transport you see, so it would knock down out outlay for tubes for the day by about a fiver each, not a fortune but every little helps and its easier than tickets.

ahh copltley different from what i was thinking then. sorry i couldnt help yah.

Banned

you can get some from the underground then give them back.. you get your deposit back

if your going to be using the tube then a one day travelcard is only £5.60 so might be an option
    ukstudentlife.com/Tra…htm

Original Poster Banned

bykergrove;5131831

you can get some from the underground then give them back.. you get your … you can get some from the underground then give them back.. you get your deposit back

I don't want to be stuck with having to find somewhere to give it back/queueing etc though on the day, we want to enjoy the time we have, plus our bus isn't until late in the evening and I'm not sure if they'd still be there. If I could borrow one from here I can just send it back a day or two after our trip.

cbryanp;5131840

if your going to be using the tube then a one day travelcard is only … if your going to be using the tube then a one day travelcard is only £5.60 so might be an optionhttp://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Underground.htm#TicketPrices2009

Thats not a bad price actually. I would still prefer an Oyster as they're easy to find in your pockets, use and not damage unlike a card ticket. But thanks for that, its good to bear in mind the price.

Look, I don't mind paying a deposit for the card if this is a problem and then get it back once I return it? I just thought someone on here would have a dormant one somewhere that they don't use any more.

Banned

H_K;5131864

I don't want to be stuck with having to find somewhere to give it … I don't want to be stuck with having to find somewhere to give it back/queueing etc though on the day, we want to enjoy the time we have, plus our bus isn't until late in the evening and I'm not sure if they'd still be there. If I could borrow one from here I can just send it back a day or two after our trip.Thats not a bad price actually. I would still prefer an Oyster as they're easy to find in your pockets, use and not damage unlike a card ticket. But thanks for that, its good to bear in mind the price.Look, I don't mind paying a deposit for the card if this is a problem and then get it back once I return it? I just thought someone on here would have a dormant one somewhere that they don't use any more.

I dont have a spare one but if you get some when you get there and send them to me when you are done then i'll refund them and paypal gift it to you? sound fair? Or you could just keep them and use them next time you come to london.

Original Poster Banned

bykergrove;5131871

I dont have a spare one but if you get some when you get there and send … I dont have a spare one but if you get some when you get there and send them to me when you are done then i'll refund them and paypal gift it to you? sound fair?

Will see if I get any offers, as I would prefer to arrive with one, but will definately keep you in mind. x

Oh and we don't visit London very often, my last time was 3 years ago and mums never been (hence why I'm taking her). Looking forward to it, but a shame we're not staying the night somewhere cheap.x

You could get a visitor Oyster card, would cost you £2 but any money left on it at end of day/visit is refunded

]http//ww…spx

cbryanp;5131840

if your going to be using the tube then a one day travelcard is only … if your going to be using the tube then a one day travelcard is only £5.60 so might be an optionhttp://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Underground.htm#TicketPrices2009

I agree with the above comment!

Purchase a 1 day travelvard and use it wherever you like as long as it's used within the correct/confined zones and not on night buses. Not only is this the easiest and least complicated method for a 1 day visit into London, but a 1 day travelcard will enable you unlimited travel on overhead trains too; which unlike Oyster will restrict you on many overhead train stations.

Good luck either way! :thumbsup:

Oyster cards can be returned whenever you want, even a year later and you'll be refunded the deposit, as well as any money that remains.

If you can't borrow one, I would suggest a daily travelcard, as the Oyster cards can still be problematic, as I've experienced a couple times myself.

There are cheap hotels you can stay at, depending the area you're looking for but there is literally loads to do in London and all within close proximatey.

I couldn't believe a bus up north cost me £4, whereas it's £1 in London and £3.50 for unlimited bus journeys throughout the day. :oops:

sorry hon, I dont use public transport often and dont have an oyster x x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846164
      2. What do these 2 men have in common68
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?30134
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764204

See more discussions