London to Madrid

I want to go from London to Madrid.

I have LOADS of time to do it - so even a couple of days is OK - and would rather go by train or rail (or whatever)- so I can see where I am going rather than just seeing clouds by plane.

Any suggestions anyone?

13 Comments

Hitch with truckers....you'll see lots of sights

London - Paris - Lyon - Barcelona - Zaragoza - Madrid - Cordoba - Granada - Madrid - Pamplona - Bordeaux - Paris - London

Original Poster

alfie73;4698339

Try Rail Europe you can start in London … Try Rail Europe you can start in London http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=36Good luck

Seemed a nice idea - with the exception views from railways are invariably more industrial.

However....

We are sorry, but you are trying to book a journey outside of the train … We are sorry, but you are trying to book a journey outside of the train booking horizon. We recommend that you try searching again using different travel dates. If you would like more information on booking horizons please contact our call centre on 0844 848 4064 where one of our rail travel experts will be happy to help you. Our call centre is open Monday to Friday 09:00 - 21:00, Saturday 09:00 - 18:00. (Ref: EEM5)

Original Poster

choc1969;4698200

Hitch with truckers....you'll see lots of sights

Thanks.

I have never hitched - but as its to get a flight out the EU from Madrid - I would rather have a schedule that would ensure I arrive the day prior to the flight (in June).

Original Poster

nuabdi;4698316

London - Paris - Lyon - Barcelona - Zaragoza - Madrid - Cordoba - Granada … London - Paris - Lyon - Barcelona - Zaragoza - Madrid - Cordoba - Granada - Madrid - Pamplona - Bordeaux - Paris - London

More details please?

thats the route i would suggest... you can take eurolines.co.uk, cheaper but longer or as above, use train... more expensive but generally quicker.

Paris: you know its famous
Lyon; dont know much nut its a nice break (Paris - Barcelona is 16 hours by coach)
Barcelona: not to be missed a very nice city
Zaragoza: you can skip if you dont want
Madrid: thats your destination, a big city
Granada: nice little city very exotic and it has one of the most visited tourist site in Spain - Alhambra
Cordoba: nice city and the Cathedral Mosque
Madrid again
Pamplona: matador
Bordeaux: dont know much but i think its also nice break

Original Poster

nuabdi;4698476

thats the route i would suggest... you can take eurolines.co.uk, cheaper … thats the route i would suggest... you can take eurolines.co.uk, cheaper but longer or as above, use train... more expensive but generally quicker.Paris: you know its famous Lyon; dont know much nut its a nice break (Paris - Barcelona is 16 hours by coach)Barcelona: not to be missed a very nice cityZaragoza: you can skip if you dont wantMadrid: thats your destination, a big cityGranada: nice little city very exotic and it has one of the most visited tourist site in Spain - AlhambraCordoba: nice city and the Cathedral MosqueMadrid againPamplona: matadorBordeaux: dont know much but i think its also nice break

Journey informationWe have been unable to find any outward journeys using … Journey informationWe have been unable to find any outward journeys using the locations and date that you entered.We have tried possible alternate locations, and we have tried up to seven days after the date that you specified .It is likely that we are unable to find a route between the locations specified, or that one of the locations selected is only served seasonally - during the summer only, for example.For European or Irish locations, try enquiring to or from London Victoria (if you haven't already), and booking a separate journey for the remainder of the route.Please click on the button below to return to our home page so that you can make other selections

Its not playing!

Personnally, I would avoid coaches/buses (lack of legroom, stop everywhere and too slow) and stick with trains. As Choccy said (tongue in cheek or not), hitching is an option. You may well meet a perv who wants to cut you up, or you may meet some really cool people. I haven't done it for a few years, but always got a lot more lifts in Europe than in the UK.

Also, having driven through France a few times, I found most of the central French towns and cities to be so so. Things really seem to liven up down the west coast (La Rochelle) and the south coast/Provence area.

Barcelona and Paris are both great and definately worth a visit, other than that, the bits inbetween are very hit and miss.

Enjoy your trip.

What date in June? I may be driving over to Ibiza after my exams, but they are not till the 8th of June, more than happy to drop you off along the way for a share of the fuel costs, thats if your going after that is.

Mike..

Original Poster

I have probably spent over a year between all of France and Spain (just Catalonia and 7 islands), its just I would prefer seeing where I travel through.

Trains are faster, but I enjoy travelling, so the speed within reason is not an issue, having done two 2000+km bus trips in the past, and 16 hour/1000km from Riga to Moscow through the snow fairly recently. Leg room is not really a problem with buses compared to planes (34 inch/85cm inside leg!). unless you are in a corner seat at the back. Middle seats are better - as they have least vibration. Table seats - and the centre seat at the back have the best leg room.

I have also driven to Spain from Scotland twice clocking up 6500km on one trip and 8000km on another (via Switzerland and Italy), and a 4000km drive to France. In addition to countless trips to northern France, Belgium, and the Netherlands with four to Luxembourg. As if I am go as far south as London - I am as well popping over for a bit of tax avoidance to subsidise the fuel costs.

The two longest bus trips I did were from Dundee to Costa Brava which if leaving from London rather than Scotland drops the journey by over well over a third which would seem far shorter, as the bus picked up so many groups on the way - and even went via Liverpool - then visited loads of holiday places before dropping us last. It took 35 hours.

In saying that - I will look into both rail and bus options, and if the scenery gets boring I have a battery extender that uses four AAs that can keep my phone online for days with 12 batteries.

Original Poster

MikeBeaver;4699075

What date in June? I may be driving over to Ibiza after my exams, but … What date in June? I may be driving over to Ibiza after my exams, but they are not till the 8th of June, more than happy to drop you off along the way for a share of the fuel costs, thats if your going after that is.Mike..

Thanks for the offer - but my Madrid flight is before that.

If you use Norfolk line you should get a return for under £40 for your car and passengers.

It also takes you to Dunkirk - which if you want a cheaper but slightly longer journey to Barcelona (where I presume your ferry is from) you can travel through Belgium and Luxembourg for toll free roads, and Luxembourg has the cheapest EU fuel prices.

If you then cut across to get onto the A75 which runs south from Paris but join it at Clermont-Ferrand you can do the entire trip toll free with the exception of the Millau bridge, which as the highest motorway bridge on the planet is well worth the four quid they want to cross it.

The road is constantly being extended - and last year went to about two hours short of the french spanish border. Try to carry enough fuel so you can refill at La Jonquera.

Original Poster

Any other suggestions?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2641
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions