Groups

London under ground

I'm going to London on a sat, what the cheapest way to get around London's underground?

16 Comments

just use a contactless card, you will auto cap at the travel-card rate if you hit it for the zones you enter.
    you can also check the fare for a journey here: Your text here
    and check travelcard caps here: tfl.gov.uk/cdn…pdf

Edited by: "jackvdbuk" 16th May

depends on the number of journeys you think you will be doing. but if more than a few probably a travel card well suit your needs

if you pay contactless then they will cap your fare at a travelcard cost (or only charge usage if lower)

Original Poster

deviouspaul

if you pay contactless then they will cap your fare at a travelcard cost … if you pay contactless then they will cap your fare at a travelcard cost (or only charge usage if lower)

So if I use my Contactless Card they will only take £6.60 for zone 1 unlimited travel for one day

coxy76

So if I use my Contactless Card they will only take £6.60 for zone 1 … So if I use my Contactless Card they will only take £6.60 for zone 1 unlimited travel for one day

​Or will be cheaper if the total of the individual journeys works out less, but usually the travel card is the cheapest option so it works out to that.

coxy76

So if I use my Contactless Card they will only take £6.60 for zone 1 … So if I use my Contactless Card they will only take £6.60 for zone 1 unlimited travel for one day

​It monitors which stations you pass through (make sure to use same card all day). Then it calculates which zones you've been in and charges you accordingly. It's so easy to use. So yes if you stay in zone 1 all day that's all you get charged for.

coxy76

yes, also includes buses

Pointing out the obvious! Make sure you use same card through out day

It's worth pointing out that you have to pay a deposit for the card, and there are only certain places you can get the deposit back. London City Airport isn't one of the places as I found out the hard way.

paully

It's worth pointing out that you have to pay a deposit for the card, and … It's worth pointing out that you have to pay a deposit for the card, and there are only certain places you can get the deposit back. London City Airport isn't one of the places as I found out the hard way.

Not if you use a contactless card e.g. your credit/ debit card. A deposit only applies if you want to get an Oyster card, and the fares are the same so there's not much point. Just use a contactless bank card.

agreed. the old days of travel card or paying for oyster are over. just use a contactless card

does this work with android and Apple pay ?

mattsokolinski

does this work with android and Apple pay ?

Yep.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys

Muir

Not if you use a contactless card e.g. your credit/ debit card. A deposit … Not if you use a contactless card e.g. your credit/ debit card. A deposit only applies if you want to get an Oyster card, and the fares are the same so there's not much point. Just use a contactless bank card.

​Thanks, I want aware of this. It was 2 years ago I was last in London which was before contactless back cards were so common.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…11
      2. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      4. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134

See more discussions