Long range (20m) doorbell advice please

Posted 10th Apr
Hope someone can help with some doorbell advice please!

We have simple requirements...we need a doorbell where we can place the push button part on our front gate (near the road) and the receiver/ringer just inside our front door. The distance is approx 20m from gate to front door. We are trying to minimise people coming to the front door as our dog is poorly and he damages himself when he can see people at the door from the windows as he goes ballistic, probably like most dogs

It seems a simple thing, but we have tried 3 or 4 relatively cheap (£20-30) wireless doorbells over the years, but all have either not worked at all...or worked for a while and then broke...or worked intermittently. In all situations, delivery people end up ignoring them as they are so useless and unreliable.

Wireless would be better, but if it really is too much to ask, then I don't mind laying doorbell cable up the garden if required.

However, i am really struggling to find any product which seems to be 100% solid and reliable, wireless (for this distance) or wired.

Please can anyone suggest anything?

I don't mind if it is more expensive (within reason) if it actually works?

Thanks in advance...
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
From experience of two failed wireless doorbells over half that distance I think I'd bite the bullet and hard wire it. Put the wire inside plastic tubing (MDPE fresh water pipe is cheap and effective) and bury it. Buy a quality out door bell ringer that is waterproof. Plenty of big properties have wired intercom from the gate to the house, should be a simple case of keeping the water out.
Edited by: "airbus330" 10th Apr
airbus33010 h, 40 m ago

From experience of two failed wireless doorbells over half that distance I …From experience of two failed wireless doorbells over half that distance I think I'd bite the bullet and hard wire it. Put the wire inside plastic tubing (MDPE fresh water pipe is cheap and effective) and bury it. Buy a quality out door bell ringer that is waterproof. Plenty of big properties have wired intercom from the gate to the house, should be a simple case of keeping the water out.

I agree, I've never had a wireless doorbell last longer a year and a half. I guess they down cope well with the weather.
Thanks for the comments on this...still making mind up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions