Expired

Looking at buying a people carrier type car

50 replies
Found 6th Sep 2009
Looking for a bit of advice on a purchase, want a people carrier type car, 7 seats and a big boot. Don't want anything too big like a minibus as the mrs will be driving it. Have heard that the Renault Grand Scenic is a good car, but am interested in people's views on them and any alternatives.

Can get a Renault Grand Scenic with about 30k miles on the clock for about £6k so I'm looking in about that region.

Any thought guys?

Thanks, rep given as usual!!

1. Misc
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Car
50 Comments

My friend has the Grand Scenic, its not too big, has the 2 seats in the boot that can fold down, boot is pretty big too.

Think she likes it.

Banned

You cant beat the Vauxhall Zafira, they are spot on 7 seater

Original Poster

sculpturatus;6221633

You cant beat the Vauxhall Zafira, they are spot on 7 seater

That's the other one I was thinking about, what makes it better?

Original Poster

Why can't these things ever be easy, have phoned loads of places now where they've advertised the car has done 99 miles. Turns out it's acutally done 99 thousand! They all claim it's a mistake but they've obviously done it to get to the top of the search engine. Really annoys me as you've got to read all the blurb to find you've wasted your time as it's done more miles than my current car I'm getting rid of!

Phoned autotrader to have a moan and the automated message tells me to phone back when they're open, up until 5:30 on a sunday!

I know what you mean, there should be an option on the listing to report it as I've noticed that many are now intentionally putting in false details so the car comes up in more searches which include putting in 80 rather than 80,000, listing rival car names in the title, different specs etc. Autotrader don't seem to really care...as long as they get their money I guess.

John

I really like my Zafira. The boot is bigger than DH's Corolla with the seats down, and the seats are much easier than the Corolla to put up - literally takes a minute. I have the automatic though and it eats petrol, the Corolla does far far better to the gallon of diesel.
The zafira has plenty of room for 3 across the middle seat, and still has things like cup holders for the back seats.

Original Poster

Is there anything other that the Zafira and the Grand Scenic I should be looking at?

I don't know if it's been around long enough to be at the price you want, but it's worth a look at the Mazda 5

Banned

I've got a Zafira. Space wise its ok - but I doubt Id be tempted to buy another Vauxhall.

I had an orange engine warning light come on a while back. When I phoned the garage, I was asked "What model vauxhall do you have"? Followed up when asked why he'd said that, with "9 out of 10 cars we get in here with this warning light are vauxhalls".

I've had numerous electrical problems and whilst you could say that may be bad luck, paying £200 to get a light bulb changed in the dashboard display wasnt anything to do with luck.

Benjimoron;6221821

Is there anything other that the Zafira and the Grand Scenic I should be … Is there anything other that the Zafira and the Grand Scenic I should be looking at?

Ford galaxy great mpv ,and diesels one have bullet proof engines if serviced at regular intervals.

I have a GRS. I have never, ever driven a large car before and absolutely refuse to drive my OH salon - much too big.

I absolutley love my RGS, I think being higher up than a salon and with the gear stick on the dashboard all helps.

However, I still have not got the confidence to parrellel park it.

we spent 6k on it from a dealership, it had 40k and was an ex-mobiltity car. Mobiltity require a strict up keep on thier cars. Also a dealership gives 12 months warranty and not 3 months like a small-time dealer.

I had a Citroen Synergie, now improved (?) and rebadged as the C8. Drove it for the best part of 10 years and well over 100k miles. It was exceptionally sluggish (diesel) but I still think it was the best all round car I've ever had because you could do everything with it from carting round loads of kids to moving house!

Scenics and Zafiras aren't really 7 seaters, theyre sort of 5+2s - if you want to use the 7 seats you have negligible boot space. If you want both (7 seats and luggagespace), you need to look at Chrysler Grand Voyagers and Renault Grand Espaces. The ordinary MPVs, i.e not the "Grand" versions are somewhere between the Grands and Zafiras/Scenics.

Toyota Previa, 6 to 8 seats and a full size boot

Just dont use the back seats on 7 seaters, lethal in a crash

youtube.com/wat…nuc

Have the grand scenic. Nice spacious car but could not imagine taking 7 regularly. Got it for moving many kids in and out of Uni. The 2 seats at the back are v. small, not for very regular use or v. long journeys. But my youngest now 13. Spare back seats would only be good for 5-10 age group kids.

Original Poster

deanos;6221939

Just dont use the back seats on 7 seaters, lethal in a … Just dont use the back seats on 7 seaters, lethal in a crashhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fUsWCsxnuc

Thanks for that, well worth a watch for anyone who has or is looking at this type of car.

Get a proper 7 seater, I'd recommend, Ford Galaxy, VW Sharan or Seat Alambra ( Basically the same car minus the odd cosmetic difference all made by VW ). However if you can afford it the new Ford Galaxy or Ford S-max they would be a great choice, their no longer made by VW.

I'd avoid Renault at all cost unless you can get a really low mileage at a descent price. Their usually very unreliable and the build quality is very poor, Expect engine problems and faulty electrics.

Zafira's are good but not very good if it's 7 adults, Especially in the back.

diamondnine;6221875

Toyota Previa, 6 to 8 seats and a full size boot

Nice, But aren't most imports and automatic? Also are the engines still located under seats? Which is a pain in the backside labour wise. Also is their still a low choice of engine options?

chrysler is the way forward ;-)

DJC31;6222393

chrysler is the way forward ;-)

The seating layout is very poor.

[COLOR="Red"]If you're ballin' on a budget get an Escalade, they're pretty cheap.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2082/2901/5203950012_large.jpg

BTW OP, I thought you were 16?[/COLOR]

I have a Citroen Synergie, and it is great. We have a normal 5 seater Scenic and the Synergie is much bigger. The Grand Scenic we looked was good, but again little boot space with the 7 seats up, and there was more room in the back 2 seats in the Synergie than the Grand Scenic.
My Synergie has the HDI diesel engine, and performs well.

They are good if you can get a late example, (X reg up to 52 reg), but bear one thing in mind - the handbrake is on the right hand side of the driver - in between the seat and the door - took a bit of getting used to

The seating layer out is spot on.
The two seats behind the driver feels like you are in the front, and the 3 seats behind them are all adults seats unlike many other mpv.
who wants to put seats up and down when they are needed?

Anyone have any opinions on the VW Touran as a 7 seater. Missus loves VAG cars and we need a 7 seater. Believe they are due a model re-vamp soon as well.

Jumpingphil;6224415

I have a Kia Sedona 7 seater.Excellent car, loads of room and second hand … I have a Kia Sedona 7 seater.Excellent car, loads of room and second hand prices are very very good.I'm about to change it for a newer one I like it that much.:thumbsup:

My friend had one of those, knackered starter motor , the fuel pump packed up and now the gearbox is knackered, i wouldnt touch one, it was a 2003 reg one , i wouldnt go near one

peodude;6221825

I don't know if it's been around long enough to be at the price you want, … I don't know if it's been around long enough to be at the price you want, but it's worth a look at the Mazda 5

You can get a relatively new Mazda 5 for a really good price, sliding doors are a real help (not sure how we managed without them). Seats are 6 +1, which means the 1 is essentially a temporary one. Avoid the sport model, big alloys look good but wears through tyres incredibly fast.

Drove a scenic and a zafira in the past, and definately prefer the Mazda for drive and practicality.

When we looked at getting our 7 seater we almost bought a Zafira - but ended up walking away from the deal.

We ended up buying the Grand Scenic - which we absolutely love and will most likely buy a newer version in the next year. The storage compartments and design of the car make it a fabulous vehicle for a woman and many children! ;-)

We also looked at the VW Touran is the same as the Zafira - but with the VW badge. It also has a turn offable air bag in the front, should you need to carry a child in that seat.

We also had the Ford Galaxy. Unfortunately it wasn't a good 'un and we had nothing but trouble. Everything spelt expense for us and we were relieved to get rid of it. The space though was perfect with full size seats which accomodates adults perfectly all round the vehicle.

Jumpingphil;6224415

I have a Kia Sedona 7 seater.Excellent car, loads of room and second hand … I have a Kia Sedona 7 seater.Excellent car, loads of room and second hand prices are very very good.I'm about to change it for a newer one I like it that much.:thumbsup:

My mate has one of these - they look very nice. She has had the step put on though - to help all the shorties get on and off the vehicle! :thumbsup:

Maybe so but i have never ever known anyone to have so many problems like they have had with theres, and they have all been expensive ones too not little things

Original Poster

What are people's opinions on the Citroen Xsara Picasso?

Don't think they have 7 seats, the ones I'm looking at don't appear to. But I'm not really bothered about that, just after a nice famly car with a big boot.

Its French , enough said !

If it's not 7 seats you're looking for, and a huge boot, then take a look at (you may notice a trend here) a Mazda 6. Plenty of room in and out, huge boot, around 45mpg with the 2.0TD engine, which has plenty of power. How do i know? I have one

You are probably better looking at an estate car, new shape astra is nice

Bear in mind that the Astra is being replaced later this year with a new model. Obviously prices on the old ones will then drop, also forcing the used ones down.

Original Poster

deanos;6231779

You are probably better looking at an estate car, new shape astra is nice

Could it be bought for around £5-6k? Looking for something with around 20k miles too.

Any suggestions for that?

Depends on what age you are loking at, if its 3 or more years old then it wont make alot of difference, it will to nearly new ones.

Original Poster

deanos;6231697

Its French , enough said !

So is the Renault though!

I love my ford Focus, been really good to me! But the estate doesn't look big enough, the boot is bigger in the other cars I've mentioned.

I have a Mazda 5..... love it!

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9201/mazda5ii.jpg

Original Poster

deanos;6231829

Depends on what age you are loking at, if its 3 or more years old then … Depends on what age you are loking at, if its 3 or more years old then it wont make alot of difference, it will to nearly new ones.

What won't make alot of difference? Sorry, been a long day and don't quite understand what you mean.

Original Poster

cuzzy;6231842

I have a Mazda 5..... love it!

Does it have a boot as big as the Renault Grand Scenic or Citroen Xsara Picasso and can it be had for around £5k with 20k miles on the clock?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. First batch of original Xbox backwards compatible games1218
  2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread429114687
  3. BrightHouse to pay £14.8 MILLION in compensation to 249,000 customers22
  4. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!1627

See more discussions