Looking for 18650 batteries

Found 24th Mar
Hi i am looking for 18650 batteries. I wonder where is the best place to get the from, that are genuine quoted capacity. As I have heard cells have been rebranded, and sold at a higher capacity than what they was. Any info would be appreciated. I making up some power banks. What price would i pay for a battery? I have seen go for as little as 99p
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I've used this firm a couple of time and they are pretty good - if you wait until a Friday to place your order, you get an extra 15% off each battery. What they sell is what you get without the worry of fakes.

fogstar.co.uk
Edited by: "goldkipper" 24th Mar
Original Poster
How much would i be looking at spending for 18650 cell then? Genuine capacity ones that is.
+1 for fogstar their branded 18650 3500MAH/10A is £6.95 but as said above if you sign up to the newsletter and wait until Friday they have discount codes.
Original Poster
I am looking to make up some power banks. I already have some case's, but I am looking for reasonably priced.batteries i can get to pout in them. Obviously, price is a consideration. As it would make no sense to make your own. As you can pickup a 20000mah for £16
If you're making power banks then I guess you've already got the protection circuits and want unprotected batteries.

Gearbest sometimes have deals on 18650 if you're not in any hurry, the good ones tend to be around £4-5 each.

You can discount anything under about £3-3.50, especially if you're after the higher capacity cells (e.g. 3Ah+ and not 2.1Ah/2.6Ah). Around 3300-3500mAh is the most you can expect from 18650 size cells so anything advertising more than that is bogus.

You're not going to get the ~£2.50 bulk prices to beat an off the shelf power bank unless you're ordering a lot of them.
Original Poster
Really? That is strange. As usually when you go for a diy option, you can save quite a bit in comparison. I thought by making up some power banks and charging them via my solar panels, would have been a great idea. It seems like it is cheaper to buy them, which is mad.
You usually only save money when there's substantial assembly required, or the market is geared up that way. Half a dozen solder connections cost pennies for factory assembly.

NKON is the sort of place you'd buy from if you were doing a large home project like an electric car battery pack or solar panel storage, so they're a good reference for realistic minimum pricing:
eu.nkon.nl/rec…tml
leeparsons4 h, 21 m ago

Really? That is strange. As usually when you go for a diy option, you can …Really? That is strange. As usually when you go for a diy option, you can save quite a bit in comparison. I thought by making up some power banks and charging them via my solar panels, would have been a great idea. It seems like it is cheaper to buy them, which is mad.

I know it's a bit late but the eurocarparts power banks at 75p for a 2600mah 18650 would have been a good buy. It kind of defeats the object unless you're going for a higher capacity though,
33512184-z3t5S.jpgWorth keeping an eye out, they did a different one last year, it was 2600mah as well.
Original Poster
shadey124 m ago

I know it's a bit late but the eurocarparts power banks at 75p for a …I know it's a bit late but the eurocarparts power banks at 75p for a 2600mah 18650 would have been a good buy. It kind of defeats the object unless you're going for a higher capacity though,[Image] Worth keeping an eye out, they did a different one last year, it was 2600mah as well.

I got some of those. But i missed this batch. Unless i paid the silly price they was asking for them
leeparsons37 m ago

I got some of those. But i missed this batch. Unless i paid the silly …I got some of those. But i missed this batch. Unless i paid the silly price they was asking for them

I did a bit of a test, not very scientific, I just plugged an led light into 4 different power banks, the pounshop got 4hours, the round eurocarparts 10 hours, the square eurocarparts 12 hours, and a 8000mah lumsing which cost about £5-6 in an offer from Amazon last year got about 30 hours,
33512320.jpgLike I say not greatly scientific but if you're spending £4 on one battery it defeats the object, I have bought the empty cases but I had old laptop batteries to put in them,
33512320.jpg
Edit, if you could pick up power tool batteries cheap enough they could be a decent source, I know the Lidl ones at 12.99 come with 5 cells, off the top of my head I think the cells are 1500mah.
Edited by: "shadey12" 25th Mar
Original Poster
What about laptop batteries? Can you tell how many cells are in them then?
Edited by: "leeparsons" 27th Mar
leeparsons2 h, 24 m ago

What about laptop batteries? Can you tell how many cells are in them then?

Usually the voltage and physical size tells you.
Google 'laptop battery teardown' there will be a few videos.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants