Groups

Looking for 960/750ti, + pc advice please

My girlfriend is running an old pc with onbaord graphics and needs a cheap graphics card for entry level gaming and basic special effects on youtube and the like

I know a thing or 2 about pc specs and feel these would be the best of all the GTX cards to go for

Not interested in AMD, lower power cores, overheat more than Nvidia, drivers not as good, all round just a bit of a con imho, I think Intel and Nvidia are worth the bit more.

I feel like although the CPU is old and the RAM isn't great, an old quadcore and 8GB will suffice, for now, it's really the graphics card that is the weak link

Any advice or offers would be greatly appreciated, if you could comment below or PM me, thanks

Her specs:

Intel q8400 2.66Hhz quadcore CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel Graphics (onboard)

4 Comments

I wouldnt go higher than geforce 560 with this CPU

AMD a con? Haha

DatAlbino

Not interested in AMD, lower power cores, overheat more than Nvidia

Those points don't make sense. While it's true that nVidia's current designs use fewer SM than AMD uses CUs (or CUDA cores vs. steam processors) the GPU is specifically designed for massively parallel workloads so more, weaker cores is a perfectly valid design choice without the large downside it has for CPUs.

As for overheating, that's entirely the responsibility of the cooler and the vast majority of coolers aren't even designed by AMD, let alone made by them. I also haven't seen a single review showing a card overheating from any card manufacturer.

If the CPU was more recent I would definitely say go for a RX 460 over the GTX 950. NVidia do work better on slower CPUs though, so as it's going with a weak Q8400 I think your choice is correct.

Original Poster

Even a 560 would be a big jump in graphic output compared to q8400 onboard graphics right? they're cheap second hand, 30-40 quid

I've always thought that, why buy an 8 core CPU when a 4 core one has a higher output, better efficiency, lower power usage, heats up less, etc... in my opinion AMD is a poor man's Intel, and they don't offer enough of a price gap to even justify using them

Voltix

I wouldnt go higher than geforce 560 with this CPU

Snakeyes646

AMD a con? Haha

DatAlbino

Not interested in AMD, lower power cores, overheat more than Nvidia

Upon doing some research the R7 250X seems like a good entry level card if you go for AMD, certainly cheaper than the 750ti or 960, would you suggest that?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Xbox one region locked codes?22
      2. I want some backless loafers for men22
      3. Phone "Upgrade"36
      4. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77

See more discussions