looking for a 1TB internal SSD.

Posted 19th JanEdited by:"rincewynd6"
looking for a 1TB internal SSD to boost the performance of my son's pc.
its already got 16gb of ram and a good graphics card but the harddrive slows it down.
I'm contemplating this one amazon.co.uk/Sam…G3R .
any advice please
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
I just use a 120gb one for windows and run my games off the hd. Admittedly i dont run the latest games but windows on ssd is a massive improvement.
m1keyp1key19/01/2020 20:33

I just use a 120gb one for windows and run my games off the hd. Admittedly …I just use a 120gb one for windows and run my games off the hd. Admittedly i dont run the latest games but windows on ssd is a massive improvement.

This should be the standard really. Any OS on a HDD should be burned with fire. I like having current games on a SSD, just to smoothen out load times, but it's not needed most of the time. If you're limited for SATA ports, like with a laptop, the larger the SSD the better.
Yep i can't use a pc/laptop without an ssd now as it's just so slow in comparision that it drives me nuts.
So is this ssd any good or what should I be looking for?
I'd see if his motherboard will take an NVMe drive
rincewynd619/01/2020 22:09

Just get a 120gb ssd and put the os onto that
rev619/01/2020 21:33

This should be the standard really. Any OS on a HDD should be burned with …This should be the standard really. Any OS on a HDD should be burned with fire. I like having current games on a SSD, just to smoothen out load times, but it's not needed most of the time. If you're limited for SATA ports, like with a laptop, the larger the SSD the better.

Nah, not anymore. The era of having a tiny SSD and a small HDD and having to manually shuffle data back and forth is long since over. 1TB NVME drives cost only £80-odd these days, so there's very little reason to use anything less, particularly when it requires the sort of hassle that manually-tiered storage requires.
Pájaro20/01/2020 00:07

Nah, not anymore. The era of having a tiny SSD and a small HDD and having …Nah, not anymore. The era of having a tiny SSD and a small HDD and having to manually shuffle data back and forth is long since over. 1TB NVME drives cost only £80-odd these days, so there's very little reason to use anything less, particularly when it requires the sort of hassle that manually-tiered storage requires.

A tiny SSD wasn't the point. Having the OS on an SSD and larger media like games on an HDD should be the standard. It's my standard anyway. £80 will buy a 4TB HDD which is better served for me.
Edited by: "rev6" 20th Jan
rev620/01/2020 00:11

A tiny SSD wasn't the point. Having the OS on an SSD and larger media like …A tiny SSD wasn't the point. Having the OS on an SSD and larger media like games on an HDD should be the standard. It's my standard anyway. £80 will buy a 4TB HDD which is better served for me.

You should have higher standards. SSDs cost next to nothing these days, so there's no point enduring prolonged loading times and in-game glitches just for the sake of saving a tiny amount of money.

Mechanical harddrives still have their place, and they're still the best option if you have large archives, or lots of data which doesn't need any degree of speed. There's just no reason to use them performance-sensitive applications in this day and age though, not unless there's a particular need for lots of storage, and the budget's really really tight.
rincewynd619/01/2020 22:09

Yeah it's fine, personally I would spend the extra on the Evo due to the improved MTBF and speed but then it is £23 more.

If the motherboard has an NVMe slot I would go for something like a Sabrent 1TB Rocket.
Pájaro20/01/2020 12:02

You should have higher standards. SSDs cost next to nothing these days, so …You should have higher standards. SSDs cost next to nothing these days, so there's no point enduring prolonged loading times and in-game glitches just for the sake of saving a tiny amount of money. Mechanical harddrives still have their place, and they're still the best option if you have large archives, or lots of data which doesn't need any degree of speed. There's just no reason to use them performance-sensitive applications in this day and age though, not unless there's a particular need for lots of storage, and the budget's really really tight.

What are you going on about. I have plenty of SSD's ranging from all different sizes.
If you need a large amount of storage, HDD's are still much better price per GB, how is that having low standards.
rev620/01/2020 16:10

What are you going on about. I have plenty of SSD's ranging from all …What are you going on about. I have plenty of SSD's ranging from all different sizes.If you need a large amount of storage, HDD's are still much better price per GB, how is that having low standards.

We're talking about the archaic principle of dividing applications between SSD and HDD to save money. Remember to look back through the comment history if you get confused again.
His original HD is 2TB. I have installed win10 onto a spare 240gb ssd that has been in the drawer for at least 2 years. And his PC seems much more responsive. But. He has nearly 1/2TB of steam games on his original hd so should I try to run this small ssd and buy a 1TB ssd or just use one ssd. Also I have no idea how to access his steam stuff from the Hd now that his PC has an ssd as first boot.. I can see the original HD but now I'm beat.
Edited by: "rincewynd6" 20th Jan
Pájaro20/01/2020 17:25

We're talking about the archaic principle of dividing applications between …We're talking about the archaic principle of dividing applications between SSD and HDD to save money. Remember to look back through the comment history if you get confused again.

I need both speed and large storage space. If you call that archaic that's fine.
Steam supports multiple library locations, not sure if you can point it to one that moved. Some of the big YouTube guys carry all their steam benchmark games on a preloaded drive to avoid having to keep downloading to new systems.

Wouldn't recommend the QVO - that's QLC technology, packing capacity at the expense of performance and lifespan.
Sandisk SSD Plus (similar price offer) or Sandisk Ultra (better) would be better options, even the Asenno would be better (and the Asenno is a 512MB DRAM cached drive - the Kingdian deal of the day is only a meagre 32MB controller cache that's a little better than RAMless)
I like having my os on a separate drive, saves hassle if you need to reinstall. My current setup is a 120gb os ssd. Then got a 480gb and a 720gb ssd's for games (more older stuff so not the insane sizes stuff is now) and a 500gb hdd for files. Then got various other hdd's (probably around 8-10tb of junk on various internal and external drives which I never look at again and never sort out. I just buy a new drive when it's full, they're in HP microservers or random drawers.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 21st Jan
matth999921/01/2020 00:34

Steam supports multiple library locations, not sure if you can point it to …Steam supports multiple library locations, not sure if you can point it to one that moved. Some of the big YouTube guys carry all their steam benchmark games on a preloaded drive to avoid having to keep downloading to new systems.Wouldn't recommend the QVO - that's QLC technology, packing capacity at the expense of performance and lifespan.Sandisk SSD Plus (similar price offer) or Sandisk Ultra (better) would be better options, even the Asenno would be better (and the Asenno is a 512MB DRAM cached drive - the Kingdian deal of the day is only a meagre 32MB controller cache that's a little better than RAMless)

so would this be adequate? amazon.co.uk/San…8-6
rincewynd621/01/2020 13:15

so would this be adequate? …so would this be adequate? https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSSDA-1T00-G26-Internal-Speed-Write/dp/B07D998212/ref=sr_1_6?crid=21CKGVRQHEMYU&keywords=sandisk+ssd&qid=1579612429&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&sprefix=sandisk,aps,173&sr=8-6

Personally I would choose the WD Blue or Crucial MX500.

They will all offer a nice boost though so I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Edited by: "Gormond" 21st Jan
Looking at some tests, the QVO actually scores better than Sandisk SSD Plus (which isn't their performance line).
If you don't mind spending a little more, the Samsung 860 EVO would definitely run rings around the QVO in performance
matth999922/01/2020 02:09

Looking at some tests, the QVO actually scores better than Sandisk SSD …Looking at some tests, the QVO actually scores better than Sandisk SSD Plus (which isn't their performance line).If you don't mind spending a little more, the Samsung 860 EVO would definitely run rings around the QVO in performance

I've bit the bullet and opted for an 860 EVO from amazon warehouse. £105.40.
listed as Used / very good which is about as good as you get on amazon warehouse.
30 day no quibble return if unsatisfied anyway so worth a punt.
think I save about £25/30 .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants