Expired

Looking for a 5.1 surround sound kit to work with my PS4

Found 31st Oct 2014
Hi,

Looking for a surround sound kit to mainly work with my PS4, upon searching what system would be best on google, and researching many user reviews, nothing points me in the direction of any particular system, or indeed whether any work with it
Probably me being not too informed, hence the posting of this, but is it a case of not worrying about the PS4 and just connecting up whatever system directly from the TV? If this is the case would it still utilise 5.1?

Any advice or recommendations welcome as I'm completely unsure of what to look at!

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskSpeaker
14 Comments
You need to find out if your tv can output 5.1 if you are going to have the sound output from the TV (best if you have other devices plugged in). Some tvs (including high end ones) have absolutely no audio out, even by 3.5mm headphone jack.
I would recommend just looking for a home cinema system which has HDMI inputs along with HDMI output. Plug all your devices into the system (Sky/PS4/etc) then you just have 1 hdmi going into the TV.
If the TV and system have optical that would work. PS4 HDMI -> TV optical -> Sound system.
HDMI would work also.
Hi,

Thanks for the help, the TV is a KDL50W829B, it only has an optical out for sound (otherwise a headphone socket).

I'm essentially looking for a 5.1 system that has optical in and linking the surround sound directly to the TV to get my overall output, makes sense.
paul9961

Hi,Thanks for the help, the TV is a KDL50W829B, it only has an optical … Hi,Thanks for the help, the TV is a KDL50W829B, it only has an optical out for sound (otherwise a headphone socket).I'm essentially looking for a 5.1 system that has optical in and linking the surround sound directly to the TV to get my overall output, makes sense.

The only issue you can have with putting the sound from tv to sound system is the audio can be out of sync with the source whether it be sky/ps4 etc which isnt a problem when having a sound system which has hdmi in.
Ah okay, so HDMI in sounds the way to go.
j0nnymoe

The only issue you can have with putting the sound from tv to sound … The only issue you can have with putting the sound from tv to sound system is the audio can be out of sync with the source whether it be sky/ps4 etc which isnt a problem when having a sound system which has hdmi in.

HDMI can be out of sync too.
rev6

HDMI can be out of sync too.

Not if the sound system is controlling all the video inputs.
paul9961

Ah okay, so HDMI in sounds the way to go.

Just for an idea of what to look for, here is my system:
http://www.stuff.tv/sony/sony-ht-as5/review

Which I have my Sky/PS3/Xbox/Rpi connected upto
Nice one Jonny, that's a nice kit by the looks of things, out of my budget somewhat but none the less that's the kind of thing I'm looking for!
j0nnymoe

Not if the sound system is controlling all the video inputs.

It doesn't matter. HDMI can be out of sync.
hdmi amps can introduce a small amount of input lag that may make gaming a smidgen less responsive. hdmi surround amps are perfect for movies but there can be issues for gaming. If the ps4 output goes straight to the tv and then you take the audio output from the tv this will eliminate gaming lag but you will need to make sure there is no audio lag. Just bear this in mind when buying your equipment. Mostly though when you send the sound to the tv the audio lag is hidden by the televisions own input/video lag so its a better solution because while the television is sending out the audio data to the amp it is still creating and processing the image so it works out the best solution. Some examples;

ps4 connected to hdmi surround amp and then television (10ms lag in amp, 40ms lag in tv, 50ms total lag)

ps4 connected to tv and tv connected to surround amp (40ms lag in tv but 10ms amp lag happens within the 40ms tv lag so still only 40ms lag).

So connecting to amp first creates 25% more lag in the example above.
bonzobanana

hdmi amps can introduce a small amount of input lag that may make gaming … hdmi amps can introduce a small amount of input lag that may make gaming a smidgen less responsive. hdmi surround amps are perfect for movies but there can be issues for gaming. If the ps4 output goes straight to the tv and then you take the audio output from the tv this will eliminate gaming lag but you will need to make sure there is no audio lag. Just bear this in mind when buying your equipment. Mostly though when you send the sound to the tv the audio lag is hidden by the televisions own input/video lag so its a better solution because while the television is sending out the audio data to the amp it is still creating and processing the image so it works out the best solution. Some examples;ps4 connected to hdmi surround amp and then television (10ms lag in amp, 40ms lag in tv, 50ms total lag)ps4 connected to tv and tv connected to surround amp (40ms lag in tv but 10ms amp lag happens within the 40ms tv lag so still only 40ms lag).So connecting to amp first creates 25% more lag in the example above.

I don't have any issues with my AV. I disable all processing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants