For office use

With lowest possible running costs

Please advice
Community Updates
AskComputers
14 Comments
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw
People still using fax?
Just buy the cheapest laser you can that does what you want. Run it on unbranded consumables then repeat in about 2 years when it packs up.

Given up spending money on these things now, they never seem to last long.
wayners1 h, 9 m ago

People still using fax?

i know. i always find it amazing when i hear someone mentions fax as it sounds like the middle ages. the NHS uses this as they don't like emails and believe that a fax is more secure but that is just their ignorance of technology as you can email documents securely if you protect them!
It is someone’s choice as per their nature of business!
If you can’t help, you just need to be quiet rather pretending a big pundit knowing nothing.
I
The real saving is with the ink, so think long term if your printing alot.
We always buy brother mono laser printers that take the biggest 'generic' ink cartridge without a problem.
10,000 pages approx for £10 on eBay.

This one looks very suitable and on offer (if you need fax - i dont know anyone who does though)
Brother MFC-L5700DN £244 viking + extra £10 off via voucher
Bruce_Dwayne2 h, 51 m ago

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

Good find thanks. But very expensive to run. Replacement cartridge can costs over £300

Thanks though.
HP's high end inkjets are a better choice than their cheaper lasers, such as the pagewide 477dw next time it's on offer. It's around 1p per page for manufacturer ink which is pretty good.

The ink catridges are huge though (10,000 pages black, 7,000 pages colour) so only appropriate if you're get through that much printing every few months.

If you are doing a lot of printing make sure you factor in the other consumable costs for lasers like replacement fusers and so on. Especially on the cheaper models where they can last less than 10,000 pages.
mutley13 h, 0 m ago

i know. i always find it amazing when i hear someone mentions fax as it …i know. i always find it amazing when i hear someone mentions fax as it sounds like the middle ages. the NHS uses this as they don't like emails and believe that a fax is more secure but that is just their ignorance of technology as you can email documents securely if you protect them!

Fax can be used as evidence in court. Email cannot until proven to be the genuine - article unless you send it X.400.
I've used 2 Brother machines in 10 years with no complaints. Reasonably heavy duty. Current one is 5910 but I see its quite expensive now. I tried HP and could not afford the humongous ink bill. Epson dont allow non epson cratridges
ccnp5 h, 25 m ago

I've used 2 Brother machines in 10 years with no complaints. Reasonably …I've used 2 Brother machines in 10 years with no complaints. Reasonably heavy duty. Current one is 5910 but I see its quite expensive now. I tried HP and could not afford the humongous ink bill. Epson dont allow non epson cratridges

Since I’d the recommendation from ccnp, I checked and found this:
printernet.co.uk/bro…ter
Please let me know if I should go for it.
That's an inkjet, not a laser.
I wouldn't touch it, ink cartridges clogg up alot more and cost more bound to have problems much sooner and ink is very expensive
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 17th Jun
mutley120 h, 20 m ago

i know. i always find it amazing when i hear someone mentions fax as it …i know. i always find it amazing when i hear someone mentions fax as it sounds like the middle ages. the NHS uses this as they don't like emails and believe that a fax is more secure but that is just their ignorance of technology as you can email documents securely if you protect them!

Not really sure I concur with you there Mutley, Specifically the premise that the NHS as a whole do not like emails and believe fax is more secure as a whole. Would agree with you that there will be examples where this may still be the case.

However, once you go into the NHS as a whole then you look at what the NHS is offering as central services which includes their own email (NHSmail) which dropped direct SMS and fax support a while ago, their own internet (Health and Social Care Network previously N3) and the whole raft of systems that interoperate using the XML based standard of HL7 (System ones tpp, EMIS, Lorenzo etc and so on).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants