Expired

Looking For A Bicycle

Found 9th Mar 2011
Hi guys. I want to start cycling together with my running, now that it's starting to get a bit nicer. However, my old bike is now absolutely knackered! I'm after a new one, so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of an offer somewhere for a 'cheap' budget mountain bike, but is pretty decent.

Can anyone recommend anything? Or know of anywhere that sells decent bikes for cheap, or has good offers on them?

Cheers guys

1. Ask
  2. Bike
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Bike
5 Comments

What's your budget etc etc?
I'm in the same position at the moment. Sold my old bike last autumn. I'm off later to check out the Carrera Vulcan and a GT Aggressor - both similar spec and price around £260 mark.

Original Poster

I wouldn't really want to go above £150 really - I don't know much about bikes though, so I don't know if that's unrealistic. A £300 bike half price somewhere would be just the ticket!

At that price point I would consider a 2nd hand bike, or consider a bike to work scheme to maximise your £££ (google cycle to work for more info).

bikeradar.com has a large forum with specific "for sale" sections

singletrackworld.com has a off road bike specific forum again with a healthy "for sale" section.

I would consider taking a look at those. There are last years models and some good bargains to be had every now and then, but mostly at the £200+ level.

Hope this helps

E.M.
Edited by: "Evilmonkey" 9th Mar 2011

Original Poster

Thanks for that mate. Very helpful.

If you're after a budget mountain bike, hunt out a Giant Boulder. They're around £250 but a decent quality for the price. Much below that on new bikes and the quality falls away faster than the price.

Cyclescheme's a good way to do it if you can - save around a third and automatically get it interest free over a year. It then becomes a question of what can you afford per month for 12 months.
For less than a Sky package (£30/month) you could have a £500 bike!
Edited by: "Duggie_22" 15th Mar 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The term 'Smart TV'33
    2. boiler / radiator - quote - is this a good deal?45
    3. Gibraltar/Falkland Islands/Channel Islands circulated coins - where can I b…11
    4. Spotify, Apple, or Google Play Music?77

See more discussions