Looking for a budget Chinese phone?

Found 18th Apr
Looking to buy a new phone as my old one broke. Looking to spend about £100 and heard the Chinese brands like Xiaomi etc are good value for money. Not sure where to buy from or which to get totally confused looking for advice?
do they all work in uk with 4g and have the App Store etc? Anything I should be aware of?
any recommendations?
thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Look for band 20 for full 4G on all networks. There are many stores you can buy from such as a reputable AliExpress seller/Gearbest etc. You need a global version of a device for Play Store as Play Store is banned in China (it will say whether Play Store is there on the listing). Also, don't expect a warranty and choose slow shipping to avoid customs/VAT
Edited by: "jamie015" 18th Apr
Good advice from jamie TBH - but I would hardly describe Gearbest , Ali Express or any Chinese seller as reputable or even reliable .

You pays your money and hope your luck is in .
Cue the many incentivised members to come on and say " have bought hundreds of items from Gearbest , Toby Deals , EGlobacentral, **insert Chinese seller here**, never had a problem ,never paid customs duty " etc ,etc
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Apr
rogparki16 m ago

Good advice from jamie TBH - but I would hardly describe Gearbest , Ali …Good advice from jamie TBH - but I would hardly describe Gearbest , Ali Express or any Chinese seller as reputable or even reliable .You pays your money and hope your luck is in . Cue the many incentivised members to come on and say " have bought hundreds of items from Gearbest , Toby Deals , EGlobacentral, **insert Chinese seller here**, never had a problem ,never paid customs duty " etc ,etc

I have bought many items from China and all have arrived - but customer service is the only issue.

Had my first (and last) LITB order not arrive during the 30 day delivery window and they told me to 'kindly' wait over and over again, forcing me to open a PayPal claim which they instantly refunded (if this was, for example, Amazon they would issue a refund/replacement at first point of contact). Item turned up in the end, damaged and 2 months late.

In the end you will get your money back if ordering, but it's a hassle - still definitely worth the risk though if making a huge saving.

Thing that annoys me is that HUKD constantly promote Chinese deals; it would be nice if they were marked as from abroad before clicking on a deal to differentiate!
jamie01526 m ago

I have bought many items from China and all have arrived - but customer …I have bought many items from China and all have arrived - but customer service is the only issue.Had my first (and last) LITB order not arrive during the 30 day delivery window and they told me to 'kindly' wait over and over again, forcing me to open a PayPal claim which they instantly refunded (if this was, for example, Amazon they would issue a refund/replacement at first point of contact). Item turned up in the end, damaged and 2 months late.In the end you will get your money back if ordering, but it's a hassle - still definitely worth the risk though if making a huge saving.Thing that annoys me is that HUKD constantly promote Chinese deals; it would be nice if they were marked as from abroad before clicking on a deal to differentiate!

I agree totally with what you say , my issue with these "chinese seller deals " is that the risk is always minimalised - not helped by the numerous incentivised members making ridiculously positive comments about these deals .

I have campaigned long and hard for these deals to be automatically be accompanied by a "Health warning " re taxes ,no warranty ,long delivery, poor or non existent customer service etc - yet HUKD have not even given me the courtesy of a reply to my suggestions - No shock there

If you know what you are looking for , can do any modifications required , understand and are willing to take the risk genuine savings can be had.

My worry is that many of our less savvy members just look at the price , don't understand it is a Chinese seller and the risks involved and then come back on here (on a daily basis) to ask what they should do when their device either doesn't arrive , is DOa or fails within a few months .

Many members feel that as a deal is allowed on HUKD it is by implication approved and endorsed by HUKD which is clearly not the case .

That's why I ask for the "health warning " to be automatically applied to any "Chinese seller listing " - it was less than a year ago when all Chinese seller "deals " were barred -full stop !

Our less savvy members won't bother reading long winded comments like this one but may take notice of a "banner warning" that should in my view be applied to all these deals .

Of course members who fully understand the possible problems would still see any deals and would already be aware of the info in the banner so to me it would be a win win for all members .
Edited by: "rogparki" 18th Apr
rogparki4 m ago

I agree totally with what you say , my issue with these "chinese seller …I agree totally with what you say , my issue with these "chinese seller deals " is that the risk is always minimalised - not helped by the numerous incentivised members making ridiculously positive comments about these deals .I have campaigned long and hard for these deals to be automatically be accompanied by a "Health warning " re taxes ,no warranty ,long delivery, poor or non existent customer service etc - yet HUKD have not even given me the courtesy of a reply to my suggestions - No shock there If you know what you are looking for , can do any modifications required , understand and are willing to take the risk genuine savings can be had.My worry is that many of our less savvy members just look at the price , don't understand it is a Chinese seller and the risks involved and then come back on here (on a daily basis) to ask what they should do when their device either doesn't arrive , is DOa or fails within a few months .Many members feel that as a deal is allowed on HUKD it is by implication approved and endorsed by HUKD which is clearly not the case .That's why I ask for the "health warning " to be automatically applied to any "Chinese seller listing " - it was less than a year ago when all Chinese seller "deals " were barred -full stop !Our less savvy members won't bother reading long winded comments like this one but may take notice of a "banner warning" that should in my view be applied to all these deals .Of course members who fully understand the possible problems would still see any deals and would already be aware of the info in the banner so to me it would be a win win for all members .

Definitely, would love to see this implemented alongside an icon on the deal preview (such as a globe) to show the deal is not from a UK based merchant. Makes it much easier to differentiate from a UK deal and also explains the risk to less knowledgeable members.
jamie01518 m ago

Definitely, would love to see this implemented alongside an icon on the …Definitely, would love to see this implemented alongside an icon on the deal preview (such as a globe) to show the deal is not from a UK based merchant. Makes it much easier to differentiate from a UK deal and also explains the risk to less knowledgeable members.

Totally agree - would also flag up to some members when they google an item find the cheapest and post the deal without realising its a Chinese seller .

It would be so simple to do , so helpful to members - I can only presume , for some reason , not in HUKDs interests ?
rogparki6 m ago

Totally agree - would also flag up to some members when they google an …Totally agree - would also flag up to some members when they google an item find the cheapest and post the deal without realising its a Chinese seller .It would be so simple to do , so helpful to members - I can only presume , for some reason , not in HUKDs interests ?

These websites pay a lot of money through the affiliate links after all. Chinese deals can be good, but clarity on who/where people are buying from is paramount.
jamie01514 m ago

These websites pay a lot of money through the affiliate links after all. …These websites pay a lot of money through the affiliate links after all. Chinese deals can be good, but clarity on who/where people are buying from is paramount.

We'll see - sadly I believe that HUKD have the same mindset as some of our more arrogant members - ie "if you don't understand the risks you shouldn't buy " . That's fair comment - but sadly many members don't understand the risks , and they are probably the ones least able to afford the possible consequences or have the knowledge to minimise the risks .
Need band 20 and 32 gig rom. Bigger the screen the better I think. Find one you like. Pay the insurance incase it don't arrive. Go with the cheapest postage to avoid customs. That's it.. I love xiaomi and really want the mix 2s..
rogparki2 h, 13 m ago

I agree totally with what you say , my issue with these "chinese seller …I agree totally with what you say , my issue with these "chinese seller deals " is that the risk is always minimalised - not helped by the numerous incentivised members making ridiculously positive comments about these deals .I have campaigned long and hard for these deals to be automatically be accompanied by a "Health warning " re taxes ,no warranty ,long delivery, poor or non existent customer service etc - yet HUKD have not even given me the courtesy of a reply to my suggestions - No shock there If you know what you are looking for , can do any modifications required , understand and are willing to take the risk genuine savings can be had.My worry is that many of our less savvy members just look at the price , don't understand it is a Chinese seller and the risks involved and then come back on here (on a daily basis) to ask what they should do when their device either doesn't arrive , is DOa or fails within a few months .Many members feel that as a deal is allowed on HUKD it is by implication approved and endorsed by HUKD which is clearly not the case .That's why I ask for the "health warning " to be automatically applied to any "Chinese seller listing " - it was less than a year ago when all Chinese seller "deals " were barred -full stop !Our less savvy members won't bother reading long winded comments like this one but may take notice of a "banner warning" that should in my view be applied to all these deals .Of course members who fully understand the possible problems would still see any deals and would already be aware of the info in the banner so to me it would be a win win for all members .

Who is paying you to troll and insult other decent members of hukd Rog? It's getting boring, your just a troll trying to bait other users. At least your not liking your own comments today.
For any distance transaction it may be prudent to consider a purchase price over £100 combined with a merchant accepting direct payment by credit card as that combination would qualify the purchase for replicated merchant delivery and merchant warranty obligations to be serviced in UK via automatic S75 protection; just don't expect JL / Amazon levels of CS from your credit card co. Also worth similar approach for many domestic merchants. Or you could consider any purchase price funded by PayPal for 180days of whatever protection PayPal deem fit at the time.
Additionally, EGC covers all import fees so no nasty potential post-purchase surprises; other merchants such as LITB will sell import fee insurance at about 10% of purchase cost. Otherwise consider avoiding big-name courier shipping to minimise likelihood of being forced to pay import fees to a schedule dictated by the courier (you can and presumably will of course voluntarily pay import fees after the product has been delivered, although some peeps forget).
Thanks all really helpful! Other than xioami any other makes that have a good reputation?
I recommend Xioami phones 100% excellent value for money.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants