Groups

Looking for a cheap but reasonable Graphics card. Is this any good?

Found this and it seems to tick all the boxes. Currently my PC has on-board and doesn't fly too well when using anything the least bit strenuous. Not going to try running the latest 1st person type games but would like decent results when viewing video etc.

Meant to add, its about £30 delivered

Link in next post

13 Comments

What kind of video? and whats your budget? any games played at all?

Original Poster

Jetpac;6908996

What kind of video? and whats your budget? any games played at all?

Thanks for replying Jetpac
    Just bulk standard i player stuff and I have a HD TV card which also struggles.

Most recent game I play is Civ complete, but would like to play Medal of Honour at a reasonable resolution. (The original and allied assault varieties).

Would like to get up to HD level and this card would support it, it also has an inbuilt analogue HDTV encoder which might be worth having.

Oh yeah, budget, sub £50 mark if possible
    Cheers

W1

this is a better card however if you are struggling with Iplayer it could be you CPU, What spec pc do you have,
    ebuyer.com/pro…705

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6909452

this is a better card however if you are struggling with Iplayer it … this is a better card however if you are struggling with Iplayer it could be you CPU, What spec pc do you have,http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173705

Hiya Tony,

Spec isn't too bad, as follows:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5000+ 2.60Ghz
    2Gb ddr2
    Win 7 pro
    HP box upgraded from Vista to 7, (severely cut down vwersion too!)

Problem's gotta be the GPU. everything video wise is a bit blocky and shaky.

Win 7/Vista ratings are/were about 5.5 apart from Graphics which is dragging me down to about a 3.

The item you list also looks good. But as there are so many about to choose from, its difficult to see what gives you the value. What do you look at to decide if this is better than the one I posted?
    Mines about £20 cheaper and has TV etc + all the bits I want.
    Don't mean to sound ungrateful, just want a clue where to start looking! All the recommendations seem to be for high end £100 + cards which I have no need for.

Cheers again!
    W1

The card you have chosen will be fine if you dont play many games but i mentioned the 4670 as it is the best card you can buy for the £50 you mentioned ,
    tomshardware.com/cha…tml

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6909832

The card you have chosen will be fine if you dont play many games but i … The card you have chosen will be fine if you dont play many games but i mentioned the 4670 as it is the best card you can buy for the £50 you mentioned ,http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/3DMark06-v1.1.0-3DMark-Score,794.html

Thanks again Tony, that link looks like a great place to compare products.

I'll do a little more homework, but I think you've sold me on this one!

Have some rep!

:thumbsup:

W1

Original Poster

At the risk of sounding mundane . . .

Is thisthe same (quality) card?

W1

]http//ww…175

WantOne;6911472

At the risk of sounding mundane . . . Is thisthe same (quality) … At the risk of sounding mundane . . . Is thisthe same (quality) card?W1]http://www.lambda-tek.com/componentshop/index.pl?prodID=1812175

Yes and it looks like it has onboard HDMI :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Ta again Tony!

w1

also if you can upgrade your ram if runing 64 bit windows 7 pro to 4gb will also help

Lambda tek looks epic, I love the PC builder:

lambda-tek.com/com…%0A

Fun stuff!

WantOne;6909100

Thanks for replying JetpacJust bulk standard i player stuff and I have a … Thanks for replying JetpacJust bulk standard i player stuff and I have a HD TV card which also struggles.

BBC IPlayer is flash, the work is currently done entirely by CPU, so a new graphics card won't help. They have announced a beta 10.1 version today that includes GPU acceleration so you might want to try that before spending the money on a new graphics card.

I don't know how HDTV cards work, but they could well lack any GPU support as well. Perhaps you could ask at somewhere like avforums.com that's more likely to know?

EDIT: The reason most recommended cards are more expensive is that they're generally the best value for money. For example, Radeon 770s are available at around £60, which is 20% more, but they're around 50% faster.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553765
      2. Royal Mil track and trace45
      3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423714463
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767185

See more discussions