Found 12th Sep 2016
Im looking for a dash cam which specifically turns on and starts recording when it detects motion while the car is parked and the engine is OFF. I fully understand that the unit needs constant power which i can wire up no problems. I need it to record movement automatically, and when i get back into the car to drive it, it will also record without touching it.

I quite like the quality of the GW1, but unfortunately you have to manually keep changing the settings to allow it to do what i want to do as per above. Can't be faffing about every time i park the car and drive the car.

Any suggestions please?

1. Ask
  2. Dash Cam
16 Comments

You can get a little power box to work it all the time you are away from car,when power in battery falls below your chosen level then it switches off so you can still start car.

dashcamtalk.com/ has a ranking and feature lists on the homepage. A118 looks good for ~$50 or the Mobius for ~$70.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 12th Sep 2016

Thinkware F750 is a great camera with loads of safety features. I highly recommend this one

If you want all of the options minus GPS then get this.

If you want all of the options as well as GPS then get this.

I got a cheap camera for the rear window and it almost caught fire last month. It wrecked my 12v adapter and the other camera (I have two, front and back) so I had to buy two more cameras and a 12v adapter/splitter. Originally, my front camera was the one from the top link, and because I was so impressed with it, I've just bought it again for my rear window and their higher spec model for my front window.
Edited by: "dkl_uk" 12th Sep 2016

Original Poster

Scania144420

Thinkware F750 is a great camera with loads of safety features. I highly … Thinkware F750 is a great camera with loads of safety features. I highly recommend this one

This one looks huge and is unfortunately well above budget.

Original Poster

dkl_uk

If you want all of the options minus GPS then get this.If you want all of … If you want all of the options minus GPS then get this.If you want all of the options as well as GPS then get this.I got a cheap camera for the rear window and it almost caught fire last month. It wrecked my 12v adapter and the other camera (I have two, front and back) so I had to buy two more cameras and a 12v adapter/splitter. Originally, my front camera was the one from the top link, and because I was so impressed with it, I've just bought it again for my rear window and their higher spec model for my front window.

According to some answers on amazon, they say it only records in park mode when the car has been knocked. TBH i need more of a motion sensor rather than a impact sensor.

Edited by: "J4GG4" 13th Sep 2016

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD

This

will look into that cheers.

J4GG4

According to some answers on amazon, they say it only records in park … According to some answers on amazon, they say it only records in park mode when the car has been knocked. TBH i need more of a motion sensor rather than a impact sensor.

I don't recall that being the case. Mine would regularly run out of battery because it kept turning on to record the people walking past my car in the car park. My 12v output turns off with the car, that's how I know it was working.

Original Poster

dkl_uk

I don't recall that being the case. Mine would regularly run out of … I don't recall that being the case. Mine would regularly run out of battery because it kept turning on to record the people walking past my car in the car park. My 12v output turns off with the car, that's how I know it was working.

Are you sure you've given me the right model? because there also is zero mention of it having a inbuilt battery....

Have a look at the " mini " range. I have 2 in my car ( front & rear ) and they will do what you want if you hard wire them. I believe the mini 806 is the latest model but I could be wrong. They did have a overheating problem when first out but that may have been solved. I chose the 805 model because of that issue at the time I wanted them and have had no problems in the nearly 2 yrs they have been in the car.

Original Poster

st8mike

Have a look at the " mini " range. I have 2 in my car ( front & rear ) … Have a look at the " mini " range. I have 2 in my car ( front & rear ) and they will do what you want if you hard wire them. I believe the mini 806 is the latest model but I could be wrong. They did have a overheating problem when first out but that may have been solved. I chose the 805 model because of that issue at the time I wanted them and have had no problems in the nearly 2 yrs they have been in the car.

The amazon reviews on the 806 model are ok but not great. A lot of failures within a few weeks / months it seems.

This auto records movement in front of the cam when parked?.

I have the 805 x 2 with gps, they have motion detect, I can't comment on other makes but a cautionary note, I have found that leaving both running 24/7 ran down a new car battery in about three days, if left in motion mode it would be any ones guess as to how long it would last, I suspect it would be dependant on how many times it was triggered, if you use your car regularly, ie every day or 2 this shouldn't be a problem with any make. I have the E Prance version, I have seen many others advertised that look like them, although they never seem to provide a model number, ( 801 & 803 are the earlier versions ) they may be the same just re branded, but be cautious where you buy from if you decide the 805 is the for you.

Motion detection uses basically the same battery as recording all the time. It still has to have the sensor on watching all the time and buffering, the actual writing to SD card uses barely any power in comparison.

dcx_badass

Motion detection uses basically the same battery as recording all the … Motion detection uses basically the same battery as recording all the time. It still has to have the sensor on watching all the time and buffering, the actual writing to SD card uses barely any power in comparison.

Not if hard wired.

Just wire it in to the ingnition live so then whenever you fire up the ignition, the camera will fire up too.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247581
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356168
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710976
    4. Sony announce £35,000 PlayStation Pro bundle...1318

See more discussions