Groups

Looking for a decent graphics card

Hey guys, im thinking about upgrading my graphics card.
    Some basic info about my pc

2gb ram
    AMD 64 x2 Dual processor 4200+ 2.20 ghz
    Nvidia 8500 GT I think its 512mb or the gig one but came with pc so not 100% sure.

Both ram slots have 1gb each in them and dont think my mother board would take two 2gb sticks or two 4gb. i know that would upgrade my pc's speed greatly. So Im wanting a really good graphics card at a decent price. any Ideas?

17 Comments

Whats your PSU

Original Poster

its a 220 V i think, it has a sticker below the power plug and thats wat it says i cant see the actual psu because of the case,

lol @ 220v - good one :thumbsup:

AMD/ATi have/are releasing their new DX10 cards - maybe one of those would be what you want.

It really does depend on your budget though. Even so, if your budget is lower than what these two cards retail at, it is better to wait for their release as they will lower the prices of the other cards so you can get even more bang for your buck.

Original Poster

is 220v rubbish lol its wat came when i bought it lol, yea well id be ideally looking at under 200 or i would just buy a new gaming PC off ebay for like 300 lol

you really need to give more details in your question, eg budget, more detailed system set-up, and what you need it for.
    in the meantime my adice for "really good graphics card"
    get two of these
    ebuyer.com/pro…016
    and mount them in quad SLI, appantly you should get roughly 200 fps in far cry ie faster than your monitor and eyes.

Original Poster

is there software that will scan my system and like give a full detailed spec? that i can just post on here

rustb0y;6420799

is 220v rubbish lol its wat came when i bought it lol, yea well id be … is 220v rubbish lol its wat came when i bought it lol, yea well id be ideally looking at under 200 or i would just buy a new gaming PC off ebay for like 300 lol

£200 is the retail price of the new Radeon HD 5850 - you would be hard pressed to find a gaming PC with one of those for £300 on eBay hehe.

Personally that would be what I would go for.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6420844

£200 is the retail price of the new Radeon HD 5850 - you would be hard … £200 is the retail price of the new Radeon HD 5850 - you would be hard pressed to find a gaming PC with one of those for £300 on eBay hehe.Personally that would be what I would go for.

oh right lol, ive found this one on ebay, is it any good? *********.co.uk/AMD…m14

rustb0y;6420822

is there software that will scan my system and like give a full detailed … is there software that will scan my system and like give a full detailed spec? that i can just post on here

SANDRA

rustb0y;6420867

oh right lol, ive found this one on ebay

Shopping on eBay for a PC = no no lol

Just stick with what you have now and upgrade it.

get an 8800GT!

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6420924

Shopping on eBay for a PC = no no lolJust stick with what you have now … Shopping on eBay for a PC = no no lolJust stick with what you have now and upgrade it.

oh right lol, Will just upgrade then :thumbsup:

How would u go about running off two graphics cards? im just thinking of how i can make it much quicker and can play games new games at high graphics instead of medium and sometimes low

rustb0y;6420966

oh right lol, Will just upgrade then :thumbsup: How would u go about … oh right lol, Will just upgrade then :thumbsup: How would u go about running off two graphics cards? im just thinking of how i can make it much quicker and can play games new games at high graphics instead of medium and sometimes low

A decent graphics card will set you back £85 to £100 to play most recent games well,However to run one will require a 400w PSU,The only way to tell what PSU you have is to remove the side of your PC and read the specs printed on the side ,it is unlikely that you will have a good one so iw ould add another £50 for a PSU,

What Tony said.

Your better off waiting until the new cards are released though as that way the £120-150 cards (now) will likely become the £100 cards tomorrow. Then you can spend £60 or so a new power supply.

Just concentrate on upgrading your system a bit at a time. First port of call is probably the PSU as Tony said.

Original Poster

thanks for all the help guys

rustb0y;6425207

thanks for all the help guys

No worries Rusty.

Just beware of the PC's on eBay. They often come with cheap components such as memory, motherboard, power supply and chassis. So although they may seem cheap and cheerful they will likely be pretty basic under the hood.

That is how they appear so price competitive on eBay. The problem is all components of a PC are what I would call core compenents, each one needs to be damn good otherwise it will compromise the whole system. Either stability or performance wise.

So you can have a fast processor and a fast graphics card, maybe even an amazing monitor and good looking case. But if your system is running on a basic motherboard with some unbranded memory, a lowly cheap, nasty power supply and a case that has rubbish airflow you can find yourself with a computer that is good on paper but a bit pants in the real world.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;6425416

No worries Rusty.Just beware of the PC's on eBay. They often come with … No worries Rusty.Just beware of the PC's on eBay. They often come with cheap components such as memory, motherboard, power supply and chassis. So although they may seem cheap and cheerful they will likely be pretty basic under the hood.That is how they appear so price competitive on eBay. The problem is all components of a PC are what I would call core compenents, each one needs to be damn good otherwise it will compromise the whole system. Either stability or performance wise.So you can have a fast processor and a fast graphics card, maybe even an amazing monitor and good looking case. But if your system is running on a basic motherboard with some unbranded memory, a lowly cheap, nasty power supply and a case that has rubbish airflow you can find yourself with a computer that is good on paper but a bit pants in the real world.

Thanks for the info on ebay pc's i didnt know that, because its just that they do actually seem cheap but i can see how they make there money they are using cheap componants.. This has kind of inspired me to build my own gaming pc ahah:D But for the moment because money is scarce and need to save i will have to slowly upgrade the one ive got, its not rubbish it can run resident evil 5 at medium graphics smoothly. I might even buy a good motherboard and switch it out.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…912
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047121
      3. word association Game73944494
      4. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!1417

See more discussions