Looking for a decent laptop deal - considering these....

Found 20th Nov 2017
The o/h has has a Toshiba laptop for about 7 years now, and it's getting a bit tired.

A long standing concern has been that she plays things like 'the sims 3' on it, and it tends to overheat and bluescreen after a while. There's a few other wear and tear issues that cause her to swear and grumble occasionally too.

Even though it's getting on a bit, having a i3-370M processor from 2010, it still seems to have a more superior benchmark than most of these 'special offer' laptops that are kicking about pre-Black Friday. I'm a bit concerned about "upgrading" her to something new, but worse.

I've had a look around, and have found and considered the following:

HP 15-bs558sa i3-7100U with 4GB/1TB HDD - £349
pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml

Lenovo V110 AMD A9-9410 with 8GB/1TB HDD - £299
ebuyer.com/808…duk

Acer Aspire E5-475 with an i3-6006U, 8GB and 1TB HDD
ebuyer.com/797…003

Or, there's a refurb Acer Aspire i5 7200U with 8GB/1TB HDD on the Argos eBay outlet...
ebay.co.uk/itm…796

Before it's mentioned (which I see as inevitable), I recently bought a new Lenovo for myself with Win 10 and a "256GB" SSD. This leaves only around 180GB free for storage, which is quite crippling in the modern age. I've also got a WD MyCloud, so it's not the end of the world, but it's not worth the earache to consider getting her something that limiting. As a result, I'm not really able to look past a HDD with 1TB.

I work in IT, but not really with any reference or interest in hardware, so it's difficult to choose between these. Any suggestions? Is the refurb Acer really worth the '2nd hand' aspect for a better CPU? TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Hi Chuffle,

I'm currently in the exact same market as you so please keep us informed if you see anything pop up over the next couple of days. Like you, I think I'm going to hold off until Friday to see if anything better appears.

Thanks
I was really hoping to see more comments, I am in the process of buying my daughter a new laptop for university.......every time I choose one I see a negative comment and I am back to the beginning of my search. From your list the Acer Aspire looks good, I will research this one some more.
Original Poster
ed40419 m ago

I was really hoping to see more comments, I am in the process of buying my …I was really hoping to see more comments, I am in the process of buying my daughter a new laptop for university.......every time I choose one I see a negative comment and I am back to the beginning of my search. From your list the Acer Aspire looks good, I will research this one some more.

Hi

I ended up buying one based on a deal I found and posted on here. It's the Lenovo 310 from ao.com (https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-310-156-i3-1080p-4gb-ram-1tb-hdd-289-at-aocom-2839750)

I chose it over the Acer as it cost around £25 less (with cashback inc) and had a better screen/looks.

The end decision should really be based on what you're prepared to offset against the drawbacks of each deal. In this case, the Lenovo doesn't have a huge battery life, but I'm ok with that as it will be used plugged in 98% of the time anyway
Just ordered my Acer Aspire....great reviews all over....
Games will be limited by the GPU rather than the CPU, so the 7200U won't be any different to the 7100U.

The extra memory will help in the long term though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants